What's new

Smudge Pot

Mine has the stand and stack damper as well. Dragged it out Sunday night and lit it off. Only way I can get mine to run somewhat clean is if I almost close the stack damper. Puts out a severely unimpressive amount of heat and flame like that though. Tried 100% waste oil and 100% diesel. Diesel runs a bit cleaner, but not enough to justify the cost.

Mine has the stand and stack damper as well. Dragged it out Sunday night and lit it off. Only way I can get mine to run somewhat clean is if I almost close the stack damper. Puts out a severely unimpressive amount of heat and flame like that though. Tried 100% waste oil and 100% diesel. Diesel runs a bit cleaner, but not enough to justify the cost.
Ours were like that, the pots were full of coal? or sludge from years of burning oil.

I made mine. Base is about 12"x12" and 12ga,l, stack is 6x6" and out if 16ga. It didn't work well with the short stack, so I added a sheet metal section that was about 18" long. It runs OK, but I'm adding a 32" stack...

Runs on diesel ok. If I burn any oil it gets pretty smoky.

And before anyone asks, no I will not make another one. This was mainly to get rid of scrap I had laying around

Attachments

• 20201220_234305.jpg
    20201220_234305.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 123
I built this one, but I'm not exactly happy with it, which is why I've been considering buying one lately.

When mine is ripping like this, it smokes a good bit, but if I choke it down where it isn't smoking, it doesn't produce the heat that I want it to.

IMG_5783.jpeg

Occasionally it will not light correctly on its own and falls into this.

Light it anywhere in the stack and it takes off, but it just won't climb the stack on it's own sometimes.

I built this one, but I'm not exactly happy with it, which is why I've been considering buying one lately.

When mine is ripping like this, it smokes a good bit, but if I choke it down where it isn't smoking, it doesn't produce the heat that I want it to.

IMG_5783.jpeg
This has been covered. Your stack needs more vents. A real smudge pot has around 60 vents in the stack.

This has been covered. Your stack needs more vents. A real smudge pot has around 60 vents in the stack.
This.

Mine would do that till I added more vents, opened up the existing ones, and added the top stack. Occasionally it'll still do it if I choke it down too much..

More stack will help since it'll increase the draft, which will pull more air in. Mine used to run horribly till I started increasing the stack length

Attachments

• 20201205_212346.jpg
    20201205_212346.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 62
How much water is too much.... Mine sat outside.... See thr Shiney down there? Hard to see in pic....

20211109_193639.jpg

I got mine from Smudge Pot Direct on Tuesday. Box was tore all to shit but that is UPS not the vendor. My only issue was the bottom pipe wasn't crimped enough to put the top pipe on. Fortunately I own a set of crimpers and closed the diameter to get the top pipe to slip on. Put a gallon of gear lube and a gallon of used 5w-30 with maybe a pint of diesel to get it going. I have one of those weed burner things and used that to get it lit. Now, I never messed with one of these things so things got a little sketchy. I don't know the mechanics on how it works but until it gets up to heat, the flame keeps popping between the pipe and the oil container causing a bit of alarm because I don't want flaming hot oil thrown on me. It pays to immediately put the cap on the fill hole to stop all of this.

And because some jackass on here mentioned the leaf blower trick, I had to be a bigger jackass and try that. If anyone feels the need to do this, ensure you position your head and body far away from the pot as it will have the effect of a small nuclear blast in terms of light and intense heat and cause all exposed body hair to immediately singe. Of course I was temporarily blinded and wasn't certain if my whole body was engulfed in fire and pondered diving into pool to save myself from the accidental nuclear fusion I had stupidly initiated. Apparently the intense light from the fireball could be seen throughout the neighborhood and drew a crowd in quick order. Once the pot cooled back down from the insanely white hot glow and started burning normally, everyone was dutifully impressed with the smudge pot. I actually think I should get a percentage of all sales from the Chesapeake, VA/Moyock, NC area from this moment on to replace the baseball hat that was burned off my head and some fake eyebrows and lashes so I don't have to walk around looking like a chemo patient. All in all, very nice, well built product that performs beautifully if kept away from pyromaniacs and immature middle aged men sipping whiskey..

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine from Smudge Pot Direct on Tuesday. Box was tore all to shit but that is UPS not the vendor. My only issue was the bottom pipe wasn't crimped enough to put the top pipe on. Fortunately I own a set of crimpers and closed the diameter to get the top pipe to slip on. Put a gallon of gear lube and a gallon of used 5w-30 with maybe a pint of diesel to get it going. I have one of those weed burner things and used that to get it lit. Now, I never messed with one of these things so things got a little sketchy. I don't know the mechanics on how it works but until it gets up to heat, the flame keeps popping between the pipe and the oil container causing a bit of alarm because I don't want flaming hot oil thrown on me. It pays to immediately put the cap on the fill hole to stop all of this.

And because some jackass on here mentioned the leaf blower trick so I had to be a bigger jackass and try that. If anyone feels the need to do this, ensure you position your head and body far away from the pot as it will have the effect of a small nuclear blast in terms of light and intense heat and cause all exposed body hair to immediately singe. Of course I was temporarily blinded and wasn't certain if my whole body was engulfed in fire and pondered diving into pool to save myself from the accidental nuclear fusion I had stupidly initiated. Apparently the intense light from the fireball could be seen throughout the neighborhood and drew a crowd in quick order. Once the pot cooled back down from the insanely white hot glow and started burning normally, everyone was dutifully impressed with the smudge pot. I actually think I should get a percentage of all sales from the Chesapeake, VA/Moyock, NC area from this moment on to replace the baseball hat that was burned off my head and some fake eyebrows and lashes so I don't have to walk around looking like a chemo patient. All in all, very nice, well built product that performs beautifully if kept away from pyromaniacs and immature middle aged men sipping whiskey..
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Did you take story telling lessons from 45ACP or Silver Zuk.

I've been wondering if one of these would be a viable replacement for a GP wood stove tent heater. Have what the googler says is an M-1941 stove now, works well, but wood isn't always available and it is a bit easier to carry waste oil, kerosene, diesel, etc., but also depends on the burn rate. It looks like burning it hot enough to get it stable/clean would be well beyond safe to use inside a canvas tent?

Stove I have now is one of these: Military Tent Stove (M-1941), Unused (for reference)

I've been wondering if one of these would be a viable replacement for a GP wood stove tent heater. Have what the googler says is an M-1941 stove now, works well, but wood isn't always available and it is a bit easier to carry waste oil, kerosene, diesel, etc., but also depends on the burn rate. It looks like burning it hot enough to get it stable/clean would be well beyond safe to use inside a canvas tent?

Stove I have now is one of these: Military Tent Stove (M-1941), Unused (for reference)
Not sure I'd use it inside a canvas tent 🤣

Adding a stack may change burn characteristics too.

Top section was very hard to get on mine as well, but it went on. I didn't dig out the crumpets.

Certainly wouldn't do that unless you carried the stack up and out. Starting and stopping it can be smokey.

I did see somebody at KoH with an extended flu, probably was 7-8' tall total and it ran good. The majority of the stack was hot red so it was probably running full tilt ... didn't know enough to look then

What I have now has ~18' tall flue stack, but the pics I'm seeing of these things raging with 6' of stack glowing, suggests in tent even with an extended flue still a bad idea. More curious if that's normal, expected, whatever, or can you run it at 1-2' of stack glowing to less than that, or will it just become a stinky smokeshow at that point?

Their videos mention that they run them at 1/3 open. when I do that the top stack doesn’t even get red, still not much smoke

Their videos mention that they run them at 1/3 open. when I do that the top stack doesn’t even get red, still not much smoke
Until shut down.... Then smoke comes out the stack vents

right.

I thought he was talking about a red hot stack up near the rooftop canvas.
Both, really. Tent roof penetration is 8 or 10 feet up from ground level, I can get wood raging enough to be glowing to maybe 3-4 feet from the stove top, or let's say 5 feet from the ground. If I stay to that or less height of glow on a smudge pot, would it be burning consistently, sustainably, cleanly, etc.? What about if I wanted to throttle it down to where the pot was slightly glowing but the stack not? I'm thinking if at all I'd probably want a half scale or so version.

And because some jackass on here mentioned the leaf blower trick, I had to be a bigger jackass and try that. If anyone feels the need to do this, ensure you position your head and body far away from the pot as it will have the effect of a small nuclear blast in terms of light and intense heat and cause all exposed body hair to immediately singe. Of course I was temporarily blinded and wasn't certain if my whole body was engulfed in fire and pondered diving into pool to save myself from the accidental nuclear fusion I had stupidly initiated. Apparently the intense light from the fireball could be seen throughout the neighborhood and drew a crowd in quick order. Once the pot cooled back down from the insanely white hot glow and started burning normally, everyone was dutifully impressed with the smudge pot. I actually think I should get a percentage of all sales from the Chesapeake, VA/Moyock, NC area from this moment on to replace the baseball hat that was burned off my head and some fake eyebrows and lashes so I don't have to walk around looking like a chemo patient. All in all, very nice, well built product that performs beautifully if kept away from pyromaniacs and immature middle aged men sipping whiskey..

Sounds like my kinda party. I was waiting for a review like this to really sell me. What's the Irate discount code again?

Added a longer stack to mine so overall it's about 5.5' tall. Shit rips now and when choked down it doesn't smoke too bad. Might add some more holes in the corners because I get some soot buildup in the corners of my stack

20211109_230427.jpg

20211109_230153.jpg

Top Back Refresh