What's new

Skittles aka: Timber Tiger

E72B0CAE-C24F-4ED1-8A10-CB05373230C5.jpeg
Stiffies

Had Paul make me some lower links and tie rods.

At first I was bummed that my order was taking forever, but then found out that he had to custom order the material for my tie rods. That and he is apparently very busy with lots of work.

He's also making me a full set of upper and lower links right now.

Sorry to play a part in your delay.:flipoff2:

Can you not pull the knuckle off, insert shafts then put the knuckle back on over the shaft?

Kevin

It looks like it's the ctm that's hitting? Can you clearance 2 sides? Like a small slot on the left and right the size of the caps. Fit it through, rotate 90°, slide the other half in?

Just throwing stuff at the wall. Sucks no matter how you slice it.

The spindle bearing has to ride somewhere :homer:

It's a unit bearing, there is no spindle. :flipoff2:

pulling a knuckle off to get a shaft out is a big fat NOPE for me. id open up the knuckle bore before i signed myself up for something like that.

Yep. This was pretty common back with the Yukon 4340 D60 shafts. You either had to grind down the yokes a little bit or clearance a few spots on the bore. Generally we did the bore as we didn't want to get stuck somewhere having to swap in a shaft and not have it fit.

I wouldn't go all the way around as the unit bearing and bore are meant to be a tight fit, but a few small lines with a die grinder to sneak the caps past isn't the end of the world.

It looks like it's the ctm that's hitting? Can you clearance 2 sides? Like a small slot on the left and right the size of the caps. Fit it through, rotate 90°, slide the other half in?

Just throwing stuff at the wall. Sucks no matter how you slice it.

It's a unit bearing, there is no spindle. :flipoff2:

Yep. This was pretty common back with the Yukon 4340 D60 shafts. You either had to grind down the yokes a little bit or clearance a few spots on the bore. Generally we did the bore as we didn't want to get stuck somewhere having to swap in a shaft and not have it fit.

I wouldn't go all the way around as the unit bearing and bore are meant to be a tight fit, but a few small lines with a die grinder to sneak the caps past isn't the end of the world.

I thought there was something about the Rockwell or Big Bell stuff needing 4 “corners” clearanced in the SuperDuty 60 knuckles also.

I THINK the splines under the yoke are being used differently (press or interference fit) v/s the slip fit splines on the drive slug end. They see different forces and SpiderTrax is skilled enough to know when the relief adds strength and when it takes it away!

Glad to see the updates started back up!

Question: Did you have this same issue with the front axle? Both use 99-04 outers with Spider Trax Axles and CTM joints correct?

Glad to see the updates started back up!

Question: Did you have this same issue with the front axle? Both use 99-04 outers with Spider Trax Axles and CTM joints correct?
I did not have the same issue with the front. This leads me to believe that there are definitely different castings, and for what reason/years I don’t know.

I did not have the same issue with the front. This leads me to believe that there are definitely different castings, and for what reason/years I don’t know.

I bet the 99-04 stuff is all the same. Your issue seems to be the register for the unit bearing, I cant imagine it has a great variance.

We will see... I’m not 💯 on how it’s going to look once it’s all together.... but I fucked up the paint on the rams during fabrication of the mounts and they needed something.
:laughing:

at least you had the proper colors to make it all match, so :beer::beer: for that :dustin:

Man I love the brake line hold downs. I'm going to use that on my build!!

Since this is somewhat brake related.....you mind me asking what your brake set up is and how you like it? master(power or manual, Size) calipers? rotors?

Man I love the brake line hold downs. I'm going to use that on my build!!

Since this is somewhat brake related.....you mind me asking what your brake set up is and how you like it? master(power or manual, Size) calipers? rotors?
Manual brakes.

Spidertrax rotors, Cutting brake lever for rear axle, Willwood calipers, 1 1/16 Willwood MC, and I forget the pedal length.

Absolutely no complaints, they work great.

Ever have any oiling issues on your 9.5" diffs by running them at an angle? Do you just run a known volume of oil when you refill?

No oiling issues.
I run a gallon of oil in the diffs. That’s just up to the small fluid level plug on the back of the housing.

Ever have any oiling issues on your 9.5" diffs by running them at an angle? Do you just run a known volume of oil when you refill?
l

Top Back Refresh