What's new

Show us your Dodge

$400 was my exaggeration, but still not terribly far off.

1 qt of Mopar (Rotella) 15w40 oil = $7.45 ea, 12 qts = $89.40
1 Mopar 05083285AA oil filter = $20.25
1 Mopar 68157291AA fuel filter = $93.00
1 Mopar 68436631AA fuel filter/water separator = $62.20

That adds up to $264.85. Add in the labor and you are over $300.

Granted, this is list pricing and worst case scenario, but it was what I had to work up when trying to adjust the pricing to try and be a little more competitive. Prior to my working there, they were almost always charging list. With 5 liter bottles, yes Fiat is stupid and refuses to sell a US gallon of oil, it comes down a bit, even more with bulk oil pricing. The filters go for a decent discount as well and we end up a little over $200 with labor. Which will sound expensive to anyone who does their own oil changes or goes to some discount place, but this is at a dealership with genuine Mopar filters and oil, not cheap filters bought in bulk or no-name oil. And believe it or not, we are still cheaper than the other FCA dealers in our area and have been stealing some business from them because of it, though the drive isn't worth it for many. But no matter how you look at it, it's still more than the $60 or so a 5.7L Hemi oil change costs, the 6.4L is more due to it requiring synthetic. Full disclosure, I have been buying Wix filters for about $5 and gallons of Rotella Gas 5W20 synthetic for less than $20 a gallon off Amazon, so no, I am not drinking the dealer koolaid even with my discount. :flipoff2:

93 bucks for a mopar fuel filter? I'd be willing to bet the baldwin fuel filter I use that filters down to 2 microns is a much better filter for $10 than the mopar filter. What's special about the mopar that makes it so much more money?

93 bucks for a mopar fuel filter? I'd be willing to bet the baldwin fuel filter I use that filters down to 2 microns is a much better filter for $10 than the mopar filter. What's special about the mopar that makes it so much more money?

Pretty much the same thing that having "Apple" on your phone, or "Sony" on your TV is. Bottom line, someone makes the filters for them, and chances are they are sold under their own name for less, mainly because they probably go through fewer hands and may or may not have a "premium" name added. Just look at what you can buy a qt of Rotella 15W40 conventional oil for compared to the $7.45 that Mopar charges and they are the same oil, just in a different bottle. But regardless of the cost, there are dealerships all over the place with Express Lube lanes that are busy all day long, which I think just reflects the steady progress of everyone getting lazier and lazier. For me, it's more about the pain in the ass it is to dispose of used oil these days. It's easier for me to pay for the guys in the shop to change it out and I just buy my own oil and filters. I haven't actually changed my oil yet, the "oil health" meter seems to be stretching it out well beyond the 6k miles the manual mentions, one of the reasons I am going to synthetic.

Pretty much the same thing that having "Apple" on your phone, or "Sony" on your TV is. Bottom line, someone makes the filters for them, and chances are they are sold under their own name for less, mainly because they probably go through fewer hands and may or may not have a "premium" name added. Just look at what you can buy a qt of Rotella 15W40 conventional oil for compared to the $7.45 that Mopar charges and they are the same oil, just in a different bottle. But regardless of the cost, there are dealerships all over the place with Express Lube lanes that are busy all day long, which I think just reflects the steady progress of everyone getting lazier and lazier. For me, it's more about the pain in the ass it is to dispose of used oil these days. It's easier for me to pay for the guys in the shop to change it out and I just buy my own oil and filters. I haven't actually changed my oil yet, the "oil health" meter seems to be stretching it out well beyond the 6k miles the manual mentions, one of the reasons I am going to synthetic.

I also wonder how much of this is people who think the dealer has to do it to maintain their warranty?

I also wonder how much of this is people who think the dealer has to do it to maintain their warranty?

I have only run into a handful of people who think that in the years I have been in Mopar parts. But there are still dealers out there that seem to tell their customers some nonsense like that. I will say that the majority of Mopar parts have a 2 year unlimited miles warranty, so that may draw in a few people. Most of our customers just want to "keep it Mopar" and bring it back to the dealer for service. It's important to note that this is a small town, there are no "Quick Lube" type service retailers here. Just a FCA dealership, a GM dealership (also ours) and a Honda/Nissan dealer. The rest are small, independent shops that mainly deal with customers with vehicles that are older. So my situation may not be typical, and there may be a higher percentage of people that come back to the dealer here than in larger areas.

2018 Ram Power Wagon.
Fun truck that tows our travel trailer with no problem. :flipoff2:

photo4934.jpg

...here's our Dodges -

our off-road toy (currently under construction) is an 02 Dakota QC: 440, 46RH, Atlas4, D60/14b, 40s -

how it looked when we first got it -

YLJF3sT.jpg

...how it looks right now -

xMCGxmY.jpg

artists' rendition of how it gonna look when all done and in its element -

YQrONvk.jpg

our tug boat is a clean 06 Ram 2500 CTD/auto that we love - just the right amount of 'everything' - got it with 217k on the clock/now 222k, all it's got is new injectors, ball joints and routine maintenance. When the trans craps out it'll be replaced with a full BD package including Tap-Shifter, gauges, but not much else -

fveqXDE.jpg

vkmHnhw.jpg

...and we're close to reacquiring my first car - a 71 Demon, which I built to 'Viper GTS-R' specs, which may now be rebuilt around modern Demon specs, possibly with a 6.4 Hemi

yabP3rh.jpg

yZj3J4v.jpg

UwZ6xs6.jpg

Last edited:
My 2016. Wanted a manual and Dodge was the only one left at the time

I have a 16 with a g56 too, I see you swapped in an auto jump seat console. How much clearance do you have between the new console and shifter? I have an auto jump seat I bought but haven’t swapped it in yet.

It came from the factory like that. It’s great I almost never raise it up.

It came from the factory like that. It’s great I almost never raise it up.

Did you buy it new? The stick shift trucks didn’t come with the cup holder consoles from the factory that was only an auto thing.

Yes I bought it new. It is the work truck with the rubber floor mats

No shit. Would you mind posting a full picture of it?

IMG_1175.jpg

The current state of things... 2012 Ram 3500 with 6.7. Currently adding 37x13.50-17 KM3s and AEV Wheels & Front Fender Flares... maybe I'll do a build thread here...

My 98.5 with 83,000, just getting started, my home away from home, general tow vehicle, and dump runner

afox3.jpg

IMG_3054.JPG

sierra trek 2.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

Getting this one delivered tomorrow morning :) 2500 with the 5.9, 72K on the clock, plow prep, camper prep, hd coolers etc. I ran the vin and got the build sheet.
105280390_2574510249316039_2823162200926842367_n.jpg

My 2 trucks. Old crew was daily driven from January '09 until July '19. I put about 300,000 on her in that time. The ecodiesel has been nice. 24 mpg and A/C.

photo10525.jpg

photo10526.jpg

well here's our new tug boat - 07 Cummins Ram 3500 MegaDually 4x4, 5.9 CTD/G56, 3.73s, 79,800 miles. We love it, and it resolutely hauls anything anywhere it's pointed. It's 100% stock and will stay that way. The pic is from before the Dakota buildup started when it was on itty bitty 33's...

TTPRoMt.jpg

Last edited:
Bought new in 2008 has 112,000 on it. Deleted a few years ago when the turbo went out and plugged everything up. Currently fighting with the Service required chime going off every 10 minutes. Can clear it and it's back within minutes. I get the oil changed at the dealership and it's around $130 with synthetic oil and a tire rotation.
D5.jpg
D2.jpg
D3.jpg
D1.jpg

'07 5.7L AT 2500 4x4 , 178k, 2" leveling lift or whatever, 285s, not a Power Wagon but has Warn M12000 in a Power Wagon mount w/ wireless controller. Ticks like a hemi, bed wheel arches are rotted as you'd expect but the bed is solid. It's a champ at hauling and dragging around Jeep crap and the dirt bikes.

Rammy.jpg

Top Back Refresh