What's new

Shop Lighting

Think of the UFOs being like a really really bright incandescent floodlight. You're going to get a lot of light, but all coming from one spot. Higher ceilings and more of them will spread that light out, but it is still coming from exact points. The closer to the ground (surface) you mount them, the more of them you need to get coverage. Strips (T12, T8, T5, whatever) will spread that light out a lot more.

So whats the best way to go for 16ft ceilings? Ive heard the UFO style but heard you end up with shadows which i dont want. Are those t8 barrina from amazon and good choice? Heard they are great but thats been in lower ceiling heights.

Just buy 3x as many of the tube LEDs as you think you need. Sure UFOs can "theoretically" offer equal light at the floor with fewer fixtures and slightly reduced cost but when you've got hoods and shit blocking light it pays to have the whole motherfucking ceiling glow like the sun.

So whats the best way to go for 16ft ceilings? Ive heard the UFO style but heard you end up with shadows which i dont want. Are those t8 barrina from amazon and good choice? Heard they are great but thats been in lower ceiling heights.

Have 6 of these in a 45x45. Pretty happy with them, only have had them for a year so far though. I still want to get 2 or 3 more though

Think of the UFOs being like a really really bright incandescent floodlight. You're going to get a lot of light, but all coming from one spot. Higher ceilings and more of them will spread that light out, but it is still coming from exact points.

For sure. When I was hanging mine. I stuck 2 over the main work spots. An the rest I just kinda hung where the shadows started.

For sure. When I was hanging mine. I stuck 2 over the main work spots. An the rest I just kinda hung where the shadows started.
In my 30x40 I have 4x50w lights over the main bay, 3x20w lights between the garage doors on the walls and 2x20w pointing down into the "storage bay"
All are the flat square LEDs.
If getting that style, get the ones with spaced out LEDs like this: https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Equivalent-100-277V-Waterproof-Commercial/dp/B07GZG4TJM/ (we have piles of these at work)
1673543829585.png

NOT the ones with a bunch of LEDs in the middle and a reflector like this: https://www.amazon.com/SOUTHLEVY-Waterproof-Landscape-Floodlight-Playground/dp/B07THRV3VH/
My original lights were 20 and 50 watt versions of this (with just one emitter) and they have all died at (the last one made it 7 years, 3 of the 50w ones failed in the first year and a half)
1673544113660.png

These seem to do ok, but I haven't used them as long: https://www.amazon.com/GLORIOUS-LITE-Outdoor-Daylight-Waterproof-Floodlight/dp/B07RXB11HK/
1673543913565.png

Also, get ones with plugs as they have decent length cords on then vs the hardwired ones that have 12-18" of cord sticking out of the box, you will appreciate it if you ever have to change them.

Aaron Z

each of the 4 strips is actually x3 4’ units, wired together.
so total of 48’ worth on 20’ x 36’ portion of shop.
walls are 12’ at exterior, with 16’ at center.

cheap amazon lights. It’s a bright bastard

Attachments

• 19C142BA-6EAC-4898-ADDE-93DED3F1F899.jpeg
    19C142BA-6EAC-4898-ADDE-93DED3F1F899.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I've been impressed with the barrinas from Amazon too. Even tho they state they're directional I noticed light on my rafters and thru up some 6" white flashing behind housing and it thru even more light down.

Top Back Refresh