What's new

Shop and Tools: Tips and Tricks

With a pinch bolt like that you could have just cranked it tighter. :flipoff2:
doesn't work, you really think something that got enough force on it to shear splines off will hold on with just a bit of pinch-bolt?

wish I'd have known about that fix when I was 7 or 8, dad's got a yamaha mini enduro that we welded the kick starter back onto, of course the shaft broke off right where it'd quenched itself brittle
Push start only kinda sucks.

doesn't work, you really think something that got enough force on it to shear splines off will hold on with just a bit of pinch-bolt?

wish I'd have known about that fix when I was 7 or 8, dad's got a yamaha mini enduro that we welded the kick starter back onto, of course the shaft broke off right where it'd quenched itself brittle
X2 I grew up with a little Yamaha Moto 4. Went through a few shifters one summer with idiots beating the hell out of it.

Crank it as tight as you want if there aren’t any splines left on the softer shifter arm it’s not going to grab any better.

I had a hand me down Honda 50 that I push started for over 10yrs.

I even bought a parts donor from a friend and my dad wouldn’t let me change out the parts.

Acted like there was voodoo inside, but then again he was a VW guy so…

Need to wrap tape but the roll is too fat to fit through?
(stolen from a yootoob vid).

PB263498.JPG
PB263499.JPG
PB263500.JPG
PB263501.JPG

I was watching a video this morning and a guy had an old bike water bottle holder for his WD40.

I thought to hell with the WD40....I have the perfect use for a water bottle holder.

Now I don't have to search for my turbo torch set up any more:laughing:
16448720867338054695239200257446.jpg

I was watching a video this morning and a guy had an old bike water bottle holder for his WD40.

I thought to hell with the WD40....I have the perfect use for a water bottle holder.

Now I don't have to search for my turbo torch set up any more:laughing:
16448720867338054695239200257446.jpg

I built one years ago out of some thin walled pipe and hung it right by the door in my garage. That's where the big galvanized trashcan is that we put all the house trash into to take it to the burn barrels. Grab and go.

If you don't want to watch the video, it's just a length of stripped welding cable, braided to not come apart.

Used to ground difficult to ground items.

Mechanical dial indicator. Close enough to not go crazy with dial indicator like I did for hours and hours getting my mill head square to the bed over the 40" X axis length.

If you don't want to watch the video, it's just a length of stripped welding cable, braided to not come apart.

Used to ground difficult to ground items.
old pipeliner trick to just strip the lead going to your ground clamp for 3' or so back from the clamp, wrap it around what you're welding if the clampy bit can't grab or be tacked to the workpiece or you're working on a positioner
the hammer on crimp lug that connects to the ground clamp keeps the cable mostly from unravelling

drop the spindle face flat on the table
rock it around a little by hand and tighten the clamp bolts
I use to work with a guy that would tram a vise to a mill table by putting a speed square across the front edge of the table and up the side of the vise casting and call it good.

A different guy would indicate across the jaw, but he would use the moving jaw, not the fixed jaw because he said it was easier to read the indicator.

I have a 1/4" ratcheting end wrench I have only used on driver inserts when I can't reach. I also have a 1/4" socket that has basically been used for the same thing when I need an extension to get into somewhere.

Top Back Refresh