What's new

Shit you own that has lasted way longer than expected.

My old Snapper push mower is pushing 35 now. Got it for free after a small engine mechanic said it would "Never run again". I took it home and blew the air filter out, put gas in and fired it up on the second pull. Been loyal as can be since. I sharpen the blade once every year or two and I did have to put a head gasket in it a couple summers ago. It sits outside 24/7 with nothing but a piece of plastic sheet over it for protection, fires right up every spring loyal as can be.

POS Homelite string trimmer is the same way. It's one of those $75 homeowner grade turds but it keeps kicking, 5-6 years now and it keeps starting so I haven't upgraded.

To your first paragraph, I am going to blame you if the belt brakes in my wife runner! Has 265 on it , I do have a lower milage motor on stand next to the bar in basement ready to accept a really gasket /timing components. Hoping it will make the winter. Had already decided if we ever get any stupid cold morning's the salamander would come out for a preheat.

secnd paragraph totally agree with that .

I bought 97 ' Honda 250 recon and quite sure that thing will not die ! It is treated like a crack wore junkie on the corner, won't die ,likes to get rode hard, and alway waiting for the next ride.

You know they aren't interference motors right? All the Toyota nerds who change the belt every 3rd oil change make it sound like a broken belt will toast the motor, but all it will do is leave you stranded.

On the opposite end, I bought a 2020 Honda talon, it was a total pos in so many ways. Super disappointing.

Had a 2004 Honda Foreman Rubicon that I got rid of last year. Only had one issue with some electronic component on it. Figured that was a win for a 16 year old 4 wheeler.

1989 Dodge Cummins. Completely wore out when I got it for almost nothing 12 years ago. Other than minor maintenance I still drive it 3-4 days a week. Runs great, good on fuel. It is awesome.

My Whirlpool washer and drier.

We bought the first model that was front loading when they were brand new on the market. Looked voodoo at the time and was convinced that the washer would leak.

Still going strong. New a single issue

94 Chevy Silverado. Beat the piss out of it, sold it, bought it back and still going strong.

Bought a panasonic AM/FM radio with cassette player in 1976 when I was lifeguarding, 6 summers probably 5 hours a day in perch or rowboat. Was bedroom radio in college, one of my housemates glued the speaker back together, the cassette died in about 1981. Still use it when working in the shop.
Walker floor jack from the 1950's that has never been rebuilt.

3.75 hp 20 inch mtd lawnmower. My parents bought it 25 years ago and I mowed everything I could get someone to pay me to mow with it as a teenager. Somehow it ended up at my house 9 years ago and I continually abuse it mowing gravel areas and fence lines. Never have changed the oil and other than new blades when they get too worn down, the only thing I have done is replace the carb/gas tank combo when it shook itself apart. Still starts after like 3 pulls.

Kenmore washer and dryer and refrigerator. We bought all of them about 25 years ago. Never have touched the fridge, probably had $25 in parts between the washer and dryer over the years and a couple hours labor. Still working fine. I was hoping the washer was done last year but nope, still going.

My brother has a Snap-on mig welder he purchased in 1986. He still uses it daily. He said he had one repair done to it about 10 years ago.

My brother has a Snap-on mig welder he purchased in 1986. He still uses it daily. He said he had one repair done to it about 10 years ago.

FM-140A?
Next time you're talking to him, have him blow the brush dust outta the feeder motor
it stacks up in there and wears the brushes out at an angle
my pops has one of them and that's the only problem it's had, otherwise way smooth running (big) little 110v guy

"Pro Source" 3/8" socket set.
Was $25ish at Big Lots back in 2007, has 3/8" drive sockets from 1/4" to 7/8" and 8MM to 19MM in both shallow and deep.
Broke the ratchet last year (it didn't like me having most of my weight hanging off of 2' of "cheater" extension, but the sockets have all held up (other than the missing 17MM shallow, thats somewhere under the seats in my car).
Wish I had bought 3 of them.

Aaron Z

photo40426.jpg

photo40427.jpg

My 60" Sony SXRD projection TV from 2007. It's not all super slim and bright like the latest OLED, but the color accuracy and tracking are still perfect. I keep thinking it's going to die soon, especially after the Mitsubishi DLP I bought in 2004 shit the bed after 3 years.

Also, I still have the first integrated amplifier I ever bought, even before my first car. I re-capped it about 20 years ago, and it still works great, don't have a use for it currently, but maybe someday. I have the tuner as well. Think I paid 99 for the tuner and 119 for the amp in 1977.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have a Toshiba laptop and a Makita angle grinder that are 15 years old that both get used a lot. If you saw my welds you would feel bad for my grinder but it is working great. The laptop is finally dying.

I left a Bosch cordless drill outside for 10 minutes. Very brief rain shower passed and it was toast. Thought they made better products but I guess it was never made to be waterproof. I actually bought the same drill afterwards because I already had multiple batteries and I liked the ergonomics.

As a Contractor, I have a lot of tools and accidentally left a Milwaukee 18v cordless hammerdrill outside on a top fence rail next to the house. It wasn't directly in the weather as it was in the lee of the house, but it was still outside and got a lot of indirect rain over that winter, enough to soak it pretty good until I found it again 6 months later.

I had a couple of those drills so I didn't really miss setting it aside much. When I found it, I dried it out and put a fresh battery in it. The sparks coming out were pretty impressive and it smoked a little until things settled in. The bearings didn't sound awesome either, but within a week or two things settled down and it ran almost as good as new. Still works years later. Awesome quality when you buy Milwaukee.

I'm not too surprised though as I had a completely flooded Milwaukee corded Portarband Band Saw and SuperHawg drill that were completely submerged overnight in a flood. I flushed them out well with clean water and dried them out and they work as good as new to this day.

My Milwaukee 1/4” impact.

I have literally beat this thing since I bought it. Took it to the point of being so hot I couldn’t touch it at least ten times. Pushed it WAY past it’s torque specs on jobs it had no business doing. Dropped it from my ladder about 20 times onto the concrete and now it’s doing hours of wire wheel work throughout the week.

This thing just won’t fucking die!

Last edited:
SK Wayne 1/2” ratchet/socket set from 1970. A gift when I bought my first cab-over rig. My son bent the ratchet using a cheater bar on it. Couple of the 12 points are pretty worn out tho. Can’t kill that ratchet!
Have some of my dad’s tools from the 50’s too. But they aren’t used. Especially the aluminum Milwaukee drill.

The jack I got when I was 18
The vacuum cleaner my mom gave me 19 years ago
The A4LD in my ranger. I should probably change the filter but I'm certain that will kill it.

Bought a HF pneumatic die grinder when I was a senior in HS (class of 89). It has seen a decent amount of use porting heads and other work.

damn thing still chooches.

I have a Delta bench grinder/belt sander combo I got from a previous job back in 1995, it had seen many years and tons of use before I acquired it and it still works like new today.
the majority of my hand tools are from the mid 80’s - mid 90’s and very rarely have them break, I’d say I’ve broken (or lost) less than 5 tools in the last 4 decades.

Bunk knife #112... Three knife sheaths later; but have never lost the knife. Only been sharpened three times and still going strong! The fucking blade really holds its edge. I use it daily and don't baby it!
Got it in 1978!

I have a set of Mocassin slippers with rubber soles that I've had for 28 years. I don't wear them much, but holy moly.

1/2" Craftsman socket set my Dad gave me in 1973. An Emerson bar refrigerator I bought in 1989.

Top Back Refresh