What's new

Scissor lift trailer

Gbkeith

Three twenties and a ten
Member Number
Loc
County Road 13
I’m looking at picking up a little single axle tilt trailer in the next few days. One of these.
IMG_3574.png
IMG_3575.png

Anybody used one and have any suggestions? Local dealers have Lamar, Pj, and diamond C sitting on the lot. I’m inclined to think poorly of Pj but they come in 13’ and 16’ lengths while Lamar and Diamond C only come in 12’. I don’t know that it matters but that extra four foot could help balance some stuff.

I'd lean away from newer PJ's also. But if they have them all there, just crawl around and look at them.

12' seems plenty for an 8' long scissor lift?

I'd lean away from newer PJ's also. But if they have them all there, just crawl around and look at them.

12' seems plenty for an 8' long scissor lift?
I need to measure some things. The deck seems pretty well centered over the axle on the 12’ so it would be easier to get tongue weight where it needed to be with a 13 or 16. I’d also like to be able to use it to haul a kei truck or a crew cab gator.

The longer one might end up giving you a lower angle to load. Some scissor lifts won't drive up a steep trailer very well.

We use a similar trailer for our lifts. I have 2-19' and 2-26' that we haul with it. It's a B-B Trailer made in Iowa, 80" wide x 12' long.
It balances out well and pulls nice.
Plan on putting a winch on it right away, lifts will just spin on the tilted deck if it's even a little wet. Get the wireless remote so one guy can load.

You'll just push the lift backwards with the trailer.

I've seen it done. Flat pavement, small rubber HF style chocks and a steel trailer. The trailer was one of the of the real low drop axle and L-channel ones like you see the asphalt guys hauling a roller on but I don't think it was any lower or less angle than OP is shopping for here. Dude backed it until the trailer touched the chock, Winched the trailer down with a hand crank winch mounted on the tongue and then drove the thing forward.

You haven't been to many commercial job sites. At the time he'll be loading/unloading there's most likely not going to be flat pavement anywhere around. He'll be lucky if there's gravel.
How far from the trailer do you think the scissor lift is going to be able to get on that kind of job site? :laughing:

A scissor lift is a paved surface machine no different than a warehouse forklift. I'm sure someone somewhere makes a fancy one that can do dirt but that one won't have any problem driving up a trailer.

How far from the trailer do you think the scissor lift is going to be able to get on that kind of job site? :laughing:
exactly. Jobsites are less than ideal conditions most of the time. Unless it's muddy you can drive a lift on some shitty terrain. Usually rock or packed dirt.
Keep in mind, I/we do this dozens of times every year. For the last 32 years.

The best/easiest route is to pick it with a telehandler and set it on the trailer.

Unless it's muddy you can drive a lift on some shitty terrain. Usually rock or packed dirt.
I've never been so lucky. Department I worked for had one in college. They work about as well off pavement as a loaded engine hoist. If you didn't play musical plywood or push it with another vehicle it would wheel spin and bottom out on the slightest imperfection in the gravel parking lot. Wouldn't even consider taking one off pavement based on that experience.

The best/easiest route is to pick it with a telehandler and set it on the trailer.
Why wouldn't he just use the crane he already owns. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I've never been so lucky. Department I worked for had one in college. They work about as well off pavement as a loaded engine hoist. If you didn't play musical plywood or push it with another vehicle it would wheel spin and bottom out on the slightest imperfection in the gravel parking lot. Wouldn't even consider taking one off pavement based on that experience.

Why wouldn't he just use the crane he already owns. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:
He's probably using 32' rough terrain lifts for setting steel so everything we are talking about is most likely irrelevant. :laughing:

Clearly the only solution is for OP to drive his scissor lift to the dealership and test them all out.

We use a similar trailer for our lifts. I have 2-19' and 2-26' that we haul with it. It's a B-B Trailer made in Iowa, 80" wide x 12' long.
Plan on putting a winch on it right away, lifts will just spin on the tilted deck if it's even a little wet. Get the wireless remote so one guy can load.
I’ve been there. We currently use a 24’ tilt trailer thats a little excessive and hard to maneuver back to a slab sometimes. Supposedly it’s a 15 degree angle and the little trailers are 10 or 11 so I was hoping they’d load easier.

This trailer is just going to be for little stuff. 19 or 26 foot scissor lifts, maybe a gator or kei truck. Maybe a trencher or lawnmower. Ideally I like to back up to the slab and drive off or on, if that doesn’t work there’s a sky trak or a crane. The 24’ tilt trailer I use now works fine on rough terrain scissor lifts but sometimes it’s hard to maneuver it where it needs to be

A little 12' will be perfect for that.
We only have issues driving on when the deck is really wet, or (not that you'd have this problem) has snow/ice on it.

I've seen it done. Flat pavement, small rubber HF style chocks and a steel trailer. The trailer was one of the of the real low drop axle and L-channel ones like you see the asphalt guys hauling a roller on but I don't think it was any lower or less angle than OP is shopping for here. Dude backed it until the trailer touched the chock, Winched the trailer down with a hand crank winch mounted on the tongue and then drove the thing forward.
I can see that working sometimes. When I’ve tried the back of the trailer was scratching up the slab or I ran out of room to back up before the lift was all the way on and I had to push it with a bigger lift.

You haven't been to many commercial job sites. At the time he'll be loading/unloading there's most likely not going to be flat pavement anywhere around. He'll be lucky if there's gravel.

He's never done anything besides fuck up every thread with retarded speculation.

If you want a perfect trailer for scissor lifts, you get one of those drop decks the equipment yards use, but I'd imagine they're too expensive to justify if you aren't hauling them every day.

He's never done anything besides fuck up every thread with retarded speculation.
Says the genius who makes his living digging ditches for pipes and has never had an original thought in his life.

If you want a perfect trailer for scissor lifts, you get one of those drop decks the equipment yards use,

If those trailers are hot shit then why do the rental yards seem to always deliver scissor lifts on rollbacks or landoll trailers?

If those trailers are hot shit then why do the rental yards seem to always deliver scissor lifts on rollbacks or landoll trailers?

Because a rollback or landoll will also deliver almost every other piece of equipment they deliver and are superior to a trailer...and also 100 to 300x the price.

Those trailers aren't for the rental company to deliver shit. They're to rent to the customer to haul it themselves or move other equipment.

We're getting off in the weeds here. Point is that what OP wants to buy to haul his scissor lift do is absolutely fucking normal and will be fine. Heck, I'm pretty sure if you rent a scissor lift from Home Depot it comes on a tilt deck. A big box store renting that setup to the public is a pretty strong endorsement of how stupid you can be and still have it work out fine.

Looking at their website, I like the little tandem axle 14’ tilt trailer they make. I don’t know why that’s not a more common size. Everything I find is either single axle or 20’+.

I own 12 scissors ranging from 1330s to 2632s

Buy a winch regardless of trailer, it'll get used when they forget to get charged, wet, etc

This is what we choose

We opted for a 16' dual 7000lb axle low pro trailer, we can haul two at a time which comes in handy more than youd think. Gravity tilt. The end cant be more that 12-14" off the ground. Ive loaded drag cars and such on it with ease, sweet little trailer.

I expect everything to be overloaded and undersecured so we always buy a bit bigger than needed for the X factor

Last edited:
I own 12 scissors ranging from 1330s to 2632s

Buy a winch regardless of trailer, it'll get used when they forget to get charged, wet, etc

This is what we choose

We opted for a 16' dual 7000lb axle low pro trailer, we can haul two at a time which comes in handy more than youd think. Gravity tilt. The end cant be more that 12-14" off the ground. Ive loaded drag cars and such on it with ease, sweet little trailer.

I expect everything to be overloaded and undersecured so we always buy a bit bigger than needed for the X factor
I’ve got a winch for the back of the pickup. Our current tilt has tandem 8k axles for the overload expectations you’re talking about. I’ve never hauled more than four scissor lifts at a time in it though.
IMG_1472.jpeg

If I can find a 14-16’ tandem 7k trailer local in the next day or so I’ll probably go that route, but so far all the short tilts I’m finding are the single 7k.

If I can find a 14-16’ tandem 7k trailer local in the next day or so I’ll probably go that route, but so far all the short tilts I’m finding are the single 7k.

The single shorts are cool and they go everywhere, we just rarely need just one. The trailer in question is actually the first dedicated trailer we've bought, it really isn't good for much else than moving the lifts around. All my other trailers double as material/equipment movers.

I have "allegedly" been seen a time or two with a 1932 in the bed of my 2500......not that id recommend that......You'd also need a reach fork/forklift at both ends so there's that:grinpimp:

For whatever reason I had a negative impression of Buck Dandy trailers but the one I just looked at was fairly decent.

The single shorts are cool and they go everywhere, we just rarely need just one. The trailer in question is actually the first dedicated trailer we've bought, it really isn't good for much else than moving the lifts around. All my other trailers double as material/equipment movers.

I have "allegedly" been seen a time or two with a 1932 in the bed of my 2500......not that id recommend that......You'd also need a reach fork/forklift at both ends so there's that:grinpimp:
I haul 19 footers on the back of my F350. It’s a flatbed so it’s not hard to secure it.

had a Cam single axle for our 19' and 32' scissors, it didn't do alot more than that, always needed a bigger trailer. Had to put a winch on it and abrasive deck coating for added traction. I think a 16' tilt deck tandem would be more useful.

something like this, choose your brand.

Top Back Refresh