What's new

RZR Trailer build

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
So I have always loved the Expo trailers that the Jeep/Tacoma/Overland guys pull. I have wanted to do something similar for awhile but never could really justify the cost vs use. I live in the Midwest and can't just throw gear, tent and cooler in a rig and drive around wheeling and camping like you guys out West can. With that in mind I am going to build a little utility style trailer to pull behind my RZR anyway. It will be open like this with removable stake sides, but I will use a set of stock RZR wheels and some used 32" Carnivores for the tires. I already have the 3500# 5/4.5" hubs, and coupler plus a 48" hitch receiver tube that I can use for the tongue to make tongue length adjustable. Longer for smooth fire roads and shorten it up for easy/moderate trails. My intention is to use it to haul a few lightweight items, fuel cans, maybe a cooler, toolbox. Mostly I just like building stuff and want to. Most likely will use it for a Sand Hollow trip in a couple years to haul fuel with me and some friends when we make the run for Hurricane to Whitmore Overlook on the North Rim of the GC. Yes I know it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a couple Rotopax and mount them on the roof or something. But if we all did the financially responsible thing Polaris wouldn't sell any SXSs!!

Gonna start this thread so I can keep track of things and add pics when I start building.

Will add stuff as I think of it to this thread as well like features I would like to have..

I will most likely add a spare tire mounted in front of the box on the tongue standing up.

Plan is to make the "bed" 40w x 60 long. Make the sides out of some 1" 14ga round tubing that I have. I'll weld some tubes on the side of the bed platform to drop the sides into then pin them. I want to be able to pull the sides if needed.

Picked up a set of HL wheels and used 32" Carnivores from a buddy this weekend to use on this. the HL wheels are 14*6 front and rear unlike all other RZRs having staggered wheels. The wheels are the hideous HL blue from 2017, 6" front and 8" rears. Tires are about 40-50% so well used but they hold air and the price was right. free.fiddy :smokin:
I'll fog some paint on them to cover the blue, either black or bronze to match the R&T gold/bronze on my RZR. Picked up a trailer project that never went anywhere that I sold a buddy last year. He sold it back for the same money so that will save me a little $$ there. I still need to order springs, perches, u bolts and shackle hardware.

Trying to keep it lightweight I have considered using expanded metal floor. Painted plywood would be cheaper though and probably not much more weight.

Top Back Refresh