What's new

RIP the 6.2 gasser!

It is port injected. And no, I'm more of a let the problem present itself sort of troubleshooter. I need to pull a valve cover to see if its got a broken valve spring but I kinda doubt thats it

I bought this thing cause of all the hype about it being the best most reliable newish 3/4 ton truck. Its got more nagging issues than the '89 F250 it replaced
Cutting a filter is pretty easy troubleshooting...

It's hard to put the glitter back once you find it though.

Carter craft hit it. I watched the first YouTube video I saw on it and just blindly followed his lead. Basically scrolled through changing “enabled” to “disabled”. It’s pretty easy I put nearly zero thought into it

I didn’t do the as built change numbers deal, I went in the other table where it is written out for you
I think that's the "plain English" style, that would be much simpler I agree.

I need to re connect and see if I messed up when I enabled/disabled the auto DPF Regen stuff, I'll look at that then so I'm familiar.

I bought this thing cause of all the hype about it being the best most reliable newish 3/4 ton truck. Its got more nagging issues than the '89 F250 it replaced
Did you buy a used oilfield truck and now your not pleased with its reliability?

Let me state this clearly for those who find this thread later. The 6.2 and the truck it comes in is extremely reliable. There might be a case here and there that go against the grain. As a whole, the 2011 to 2023 6.2 trucks are far more reliable than their competitors.

My disappointment is not in reliability. They are gutless dogs like the 5.4 was before it it. We have tons of trucks with 10,000+ hours on them with little or no issues. If I needed a 3/4 ton gas burner truck and had to choose between a 6.0 Chevy, a 5.7or6.4 Hemi Ram and a 6.2 Ford, the decision is not even close. Ill take the superduty hands down. I’ve never had a single engine issue with one and I’ve been through multiple new ones.

Did you buy a used oilfield truck and now your not pleased with its reliability?

Let me state this clearly for those who find this thread later. The 6.2 and the truck it comes in is extremely reliable. There might be a case here and there that go against the grain. As a whole, the 2011 to 2023 6.2 trucks are far more reliable than their competitors.

My disappointment is not in reliability. They are gutless dogs like the 5.4 was before it it. We have tons of trucks with 10,000+ hours on them with little or no issues. If I needed a 3/4 ton gas burner truck and had to choose between a 6.0 Chevy, a 5.7or6.4 Hemi Ram and a 6.2 Ford, the decision is not even close. Ill take the superduty hands down. I’ve never had a single engine issue with one and I’ve been through multiple new ones.
Hasn't been un-reliable, I phrased that incorrectly. Just annoyances at this point. I can't confirm it was an oilfield truck but signs point to it. I was aware of it and for the price I paid I knowingly assumed the risk.

I'll quit bitching about it.

Hows that 6.8 on week 2?

What are the odds of you towing heavy with it? I'm guessing slim if you've been using a 6.2 for a while. I'm still thinking about consolidating the F150 and dually to one truck. I'd really like a 7.3 gas, but worried I'll regret it when I hook up to my gooseneck.

Fwiw, I didn't think the 6.2 was gutless at 100-2500' elevation. Was it really that much less than the 5.0?

Reactions: RMO
Do they make a ForScan that works with Mac?
What are the odds of you towing heavy with it? I'm guessing slim if you've been using a 6.2 for a while. I'm still thinking about consolidating the F150 and dually to one truck. I'd really like a 7.3 gas, but worried I'll regret it when I hook up to my gooseneck.

Fwiw, I didn't think the 6.2 was gutless at 100-2500' elevation. Was it really that much less than the 5.0?
I live at a mile high and drive / pull a lot up to
7500' and my 6.2l sucked ass when pulling 7k. I went back to diesel and have a '23 a 6.7k PSD and real pleased with it.
Today my son ordered a 7.3l and for what he pulls it should be fine and be able to pull a GN stock trailer or flat bed with 8-10 ton of hay when needed.

Last edited:

I mention it often, but here is definitely a good place to mention it again. I’m a spoiled a-hole with way to much stuff to play with. I have race cars with literal zero torque management. Ive had turbo diesel’s for a very long time. So these things don’t get a fair unbiased assessment from me. I’m very critical of the nanny stuff and 3/4 tons get MDT levels of torque management, more so than a 150 does. The heaviest I’ll get to tow with it will be a Hotsy pressure washer which weigh about 8K pounds. I have a good friend with a 22 7.3 with 40K+ miles and tows over 10K with it. He likes it but says he can’t hang with the turbo diesel’s. He spends a lot of time at 7K ~ 8k elevation pulling flow back iron trailers.

Hasn't been un-reliable, I phrased that incorrectly. Just annoyances at this point. I can't confirm it was an oilfield truck but signs point to it. I was aware of it and for the price I paid I knowingly assumed the risk.

I'll quit bitching about it.

Hows that 6.8 on week 2?
Waited till I rolled that first thousand miles on it to reply.
IMG_5780.jpeg

First impressions.

The good: it’s comfortable, it’s quiet. The engine is legitimately powerful. It is more responsive and acts more like I would like it to than the last decades worth of gasser 3/4 tons of all big 3 that I’m used to. You mash the gas on this thing and something happens. They raised the speed limit at which the rear locker kicks out, if not took it away entirely. Locker in 2 hi stays locked over 30 mph where it used to be 25 mph to disengage and had to drop below 20 mph to get to re engage.

The questionable: everything is different than the previous generation. It’s almost exactly like my Badlands bronco as far as functionality and interior goes. This is the poverty model XL with FX4 package. The 4x4 switch is where you change vehicle modes (instead of the button on the shifter) and I’m still figuring out what works best for what I’m doing. I like the shift logic of “off-road” mode best but that’s 4 hi and locker engaged. I don’t need the locker all the time. Something felt off so I checked. This thing has 3.31 axle gears so that makes the 4.7 first gear not feel like a 4.7 first gear so that’s a little annoying. I want a truck that’s not mechanically capable of exceeding 10 mph in first gear.

I mention it often, but here is definitely a good place to mention it again. I’m a spoiled a-hole with way to much stuff to play with. I have race cars with literal zero torque management. Ive had turbo diesel’s for a very long time. So these things don’t get a fair unbiased assessment from me. I’m very critical of the nanny stuff and 3/4 tons get MDT levels of torque management, more so than a 150 does. The heaviest I’ll get to tow with it will be a Hotsy pressure washer which weigh about 8K pounds. I have a good friend with a 22 7.3 with 40K+ miles and tows over 10K with it. He likes it but says he can’t hang with the turbo diesel’s. He spends a lot of time at 7K ~ 8k elevation pulling flow back iron trailers.

I get it. Besides race cars, I have access to a wide variety of vehicles. I'm not the guy who expects to pull 20k up any pass without downshifting like a lot of new diesel owners. But I don't want to have to wring the things neck when I'm towing.

The trailer alone is like 8500 lbs, plus ~18k cargo capacity. Not that I'm doing that all the time, but I'm not sure the 7.3 would be happy with it. Although I did watch a video of a guy with a 7.3, pulling a similar gooseneck with a newer backhoe on it. 24k lb trailer iirc. He was even in Colorado. He said it was better than he thought.

Biggest issue is if we sell the 2 newer trucks, it's replacement will be the wife's DD. Which is lots of short, around town stuff.
Waited till I rolled that first thousand miles on it to reply.
IMG_5780.jpeg

First impressions.

The good: it’s comfortable, it’s quiet. The engine is legitimately powerful. It is more responsive and acts more like I would like it to than the last decades worth of gasser 3/4 tons of all big 3 that I’m used to. You mash the gas on this thing and something happens. They raised the speed limit at which the rear locker kicks out, if not took it away entirely. Locker in 2 hi stays locked over 30 mph where it used to be 25 mph to disengage and had to drop below 20 mph to get to re engage.

The questionable: everything is different than the previous generation. It’s almost exactly like my Badlands bronco as far as functionality and interior goes. This is the poverty model XL with FX4 package. The 4x4 switch is where you change vehicle modes (instead of the button on the shifter) and I’m still figuring out what works best for what I’m doing. I like the shift logic of “off-road” mode best but that’s 4 hi and locker engaged. I don’t need the locker all the time. Something felt off so I checked. This thing has 3.31 axle gears so that makes the 4.7 first gear not feel like a 4.7 first gear so that’s a little annoying. I want a truck that’s not mechanically capable of exceeding 10 mph in first gear.

I get it. Besides race cars, I have access to a wide variety of vehicles. I'm not the guy who expects to pull 20k up any pass without downshifting like a lot of new diesel owners. But I don't want to have to wring the things neck when I'm towing.

The trailer alone is like 8500 lbs, plus ~18k cargo capacity. Not that I'm doing that all the time, but I'm not sure the 7.3 would be happy with it. Although I did watch a video of a guy with a 7.3, pulling a similar gooseneck with a newer backhoe on it. 24k lb trailer iirc. He was even in Colorado. He said it was better than he thought.

Biggest issue is if we sell the 2 newer trucks, it's replacement will be the wife's DD. Which is lots of short, around town stuff.
I cannot imagine expecting a gas engine truck to pull that kind of weight on a road trip. That weight requirement is mandatory diesel territory as far as I’m concerned. That’s partially because I only know my narrow window of use which is 2000 miles at a time and over 10,000 ft mountain pass to get there and and back. Next month we’re going 1500 miles one way to the next race.

I’ll always remember this though. Dads first real race trailer was a 2005 44 ft pace Bigfoot that weighed 17K pounds empty. He bought it used from a guy that towed it with a single cab long bed V10 superduty. He road raced at a pavement track and round tripped 14 miles total track back to home. The 3126 Cat in the MDT dad had back then would get down to 44 mph on some climbs the 6.7 psd in the dually would breeze at 75mph.

I cannot imagine expecting a gas engine truck to pull that kind of weight on a road trip. That weight requirement is mandatory diesel territory as far as I’m concerned. That’s partially because I only know my narrow window of use which is 2000 miles at a time and over 10,000 ft mountain pass to get there and and back. Next month we’re going 1500 miles one way to the next race.

I’ll always remember this though. Dads first real race trailer was a 2005 44 ft pace Bigfoot that weighed 17K pounds empty. He bought it used from a guy that towed it with a single cab long bed V10 superduty. He road raced at a pavement track and round tripped 14 miles total track back to home. The 3126 Cat in the MDT dad had back then would get down to 44 mph on some climbs the 6.7 psd in the dually would breeze at 75mph.

Road trips would be more like 26k lbs gross, just 3 wheelers, or camper and 2 wheelers. Heavier would be more like occasional bdl shit local. Which I could just use a 23 3500 duramax from work instead.

It's just a amount of use thing.

Do I deal with the gas for 1 or 2 big trips a year?

Or deal with the diesel all year long doing around town bs?

Duallys are too expensive, check that thing out.

Don't want a dually if I get rid of this one.

Top Back Refresh