What's new

Red Excursion Thread

I’m sort of half ass thinking about getting another excursion. They’re not making any more of them and I’ve got lots of room to park. There’s a whole other lean-to I could park one under.

Around 20 years from now you will have 30 of them parked out back. :flipoff2:

“Im planning to fix them up. I know what they’re worth.”:flipoff2:

Somebody tell me this is either stupid or smart. Or a lateral move. The excursion currently has 4.30 gears and I like how it drives. My coil spring axles are 05’s with 3.73’s. The ‘13+ axles have the biggest and best brakes but the speed sensor on the rear supposedly won’t talk to my 4r100. That doesn’t seem insurmountable but I don’t know much about it yet.

Putting the bigger brakes on my existing front 60 is just a matter of swapping knuckles. It probably needs ball joints and seals anyway. I don’t know what it takes on the rear but I’m assuming cutting a mounting plate off and welding a new one on. I’ve never done axle gears and had been thinking this would be the time to learn.

In the other hand, 4.30 ‘13+ axles exist in the wild. I haven’t found a set for sale local to me, but they are out there. It’ll cost more money but it’s a lot easier and quicker. Is there anything I’m not thinking of here?

Also, is there any reason hydroboost from a V10 F550 won’t bolt up to an excursion?

My ex was V10/4.30s and I went to 3.73 when I did the axle swap. Towing sucked after. Constantly hunting for the right gear on the highway. The Cummins/nv4500 fixed it ultimately but it was an annoying few months.

The 250/350 hydro booster bolts in, unsure if 450+ is different. You do need to use the matching brake pedal as the pedal ratio is different.

Good write up here

Last edited:
My ex was V10/4.30s and I went to 3.73 when I did the axle swap. Towing sucked after. Constantly hunting for the right gear on the highway. The Cummins/nv4500 fixed it ultimately but it was an annoying few months.

The 250/350 hydro booster bolts in, unsure if 450+ is different. You do need to use the matching brake pedal as the pedal ratio is different.

Good write up here

Hey that's me.

I also have a write-up to swap an 05-07 axle in ('05+ Front Axle with 2.5 Springs and Pro Comp Rear 22415 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums). I used 2.5" front Carli coils and rear Pro-comp leaf springs when I did that, it turned out nice.

I have 37's on it and even with 4.30's, it is a turd. I'm working on a CR Cummins and ZF-6 to go in, which should help out quite a bit.

If you want me to talk you out of it, just get an 05-07 4.30 axle. It took me a long time to find mine. There are some other differences regarding the gearbox, brakes, and I forget what else for newer axles. My truck stops great with the hydroboost conversion and stock 05-07 front brakes and OEM rear. Sure, more is better, but I don't think it is worth additional headaches. Honestly, whatever the best deal I could find would be the driving factor if I was you.

Good luck!

3ZqVAOyh.jpg

Hey that's me.

I also have a write-up to swap an 05-07 axle in ('05+ Front Axle with 2.5 Springs and Pro Comp Rear 22415 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums). I used 2.5" front Carli coils and rear Pro-comp leaf springs when I did that, it turned out nice.

I have 37's on it and even with 4.30's, it is a turd. I'm working on a CR Cummins and ZF-6 to go in, which should help out quite a bit.

If you want me to talk you out of it, just get an 05-07 4.30 axle. It took me a long time to find mine. There are some other differences regarding the gearbox, brakes, and I forget what else for newer axles. My truck stops great with the hydroboost conversion and stock 05-07 front brakes and OEM rear. Sure, more is better, but I don't think it is worth additional headaches. Honestly, whatever the best deal I could find would be the driving factor if I was you.

Good luck!

3ZqVAOyh.jpg
Just right

Dude, just fucking drive it as is.

You're not cutting the fenders and abusing it on 40s or BDLing over mountain passes. The axles and shit you have are fine.
That’s pretty much where I’m at with it.

The other day she commented on how she has to be careful making the turn into the taco joint drive through because it doesn’t steer very sharp so I started explaining about leaf springs and steering angle and the benefits of the coil spring 60 swap for her application. Then it occurred to me how much she doesn’t give a shit.

That’s pretty much where I’m at with it.

The other day she commented on how she has to be careful making the turn into the taco joint drive through because it doesn’t steer very sharp so I started explaining about leaf springs and steering angle and the benefits of the coil spring 60 swap for her application. Then it occurred to me how much she doesn’t give a shit.
That's your in - Once she turns into the taco joint with ease, she'll be glad you did the axle swap... You just have to sell that it way to start with, don't worry about the details.

That's your in - Once she turns into the taco joint with ease, she'll be glad you did the axle swap... You just have to sell that it way to start with, don't worry about the details.

Probly ride alot better on coils too...
I still intend to do at least that much. Just won’t be until things slow down some at work.

Top Back Refresh