What's new

Red Excursion Thread

Gbkeith

Three twenties and a ten
Member Number
Loc
County Road 13
Some of you who don’t have better things to do with your time may have seen my thread in chit chat picking out an excursion because my wife wanted more interior room. The thread discussed marriage and female behavior without talking about tits, so we basically became feminists. After that we covered international relations and ethnic cuisine. And then I bought a V10 Excursion.

Long term, I’d kind of like to Godzilla swap it, but that’s not happening soon. For right now, I’ve got some little stuff do do. Need to replace some door lock actuators. Going to put some soundproofing in the doors while that’s happening. May put some sort of Bluetooth radio and backup camera in it. It’s a 99 with the non-telescoping mirrors. Going to do something about that. Pretty sure I’m going to put 06 headlights on it. Then I’m going to put some 05+ super duty axles under it. Planning on using 275/70r18’s for tax purposes. That seems like a reason to use 4.30 gears, so you guys may get to witness me doing gears for the first time, if I can’t find anybody local that’ll trade the 3.73 axles I already have. Part of me wants to learn, so I may say fuck it and go for it.
IMG_2473.jpeg

Anyway, here it is as I picked it up. It’s got some 2014 17” steel wheels that somehow don’t really rub.

You can't really buy 430 gears, AFAIK the only sets made in that ratio are factory ford and big bucks

Also, you may wind up being happy with the factory leaf springs, some of those ride pretty decent as is, though the coil stuff will get you a better turning radius for sure

In for updates:smokin:

In for updates as well, I’m working on my wife to add one of these to the fleet eventually. Never thought about a Godzilla swap.

275/70-18 is barely 33”. 4.30’s will be overkill, imho. New to me Godzilla/4.30/285/75r18 combo seems slightly over geared to me. I think I’d be happy with 4.10’s - or a 36x11.50 tire (which doesn’t really exist).

Neighbor has a Godzilla/3.73/275/65r20 combo and I think it’s solid.

If you’re going 4.30’s, bump tire size to a 35.

Last edited:
Sweet, in for the build up pictures

In

I’m going to live vicariously through you on this one.
I hope yall are patient. Works about to get busy so door locks and maybe a set of take off wheels are as exciting as it’s going to get anytime soon. If I get frisky I may ask some questions about Bluetooth head units that haven’t really been settled in any of the threads I’ve looked at so far.

Before I Cummins swapped my Ex, I did the 05+ axle swap which dropped me from the stock 4.30 with 235/85-16 to 3.73 on 275/65-18. Towing after was miserable compared to before. Then it got even worse when I put on 295/70-18s :laughing:

It was fine again after the Cummins swap but 4.10's would have been nice.

05 axles, 275/65-18, OEM 05 coils, rears springs were mixed pack with F250 and Excursion parts

IMG_20150725_200826_zpsr5myjrlk-L.jpg

295's

_20160225_144747_zpsjmtaputt-L.jpg

You can't really buy 430 gears, AFAIK the only sets made in that ratio are factory ford and big bucks

Also, you may wind up being happy with the factory leaf springs, some of those ride pretty decent as is, though the coil stuff will get you a better turning radius for sure

In for updates:smokin:
I bought 4.30s for my 2017. Spicer fronts and Yukon rears.

I hope yall are patient. Works about to get busy so door locks and maybe a set of take off wheels are as exciting as it’s going to get anytime soon. If I get frisky I may ask some questions about Bluetooth head units that haven’t really been settled in any of the threads I’ve looked at so far.
I went with a decent pioneer unit for my wife’s old 4Runner. In pre-Covid dollars, it was around $600 for the head unit, a camera, and all of the wiring, interfaces, etc. through Crutchfield.

Went ahead and unveiled the excursion to the wife and kids today. They love it. My four year old was stoked, “Daddy, there’s seats for me behind the seats!” I guess maybe we ought to get her out in the world more often.

Anybody got anything good to say about wheel spacers? The ‘14 steelies that are on it now are tucked in too far. Work is going to be insane for a few months. The axle swap will have to wait but I’d kind of like to go ahead and get some take off 18” wheels and run the same tires as my F350. Will spacers all around kill a bus load of nuns? Or, you know, my family?

In the other thread I asked about swapping the ‘13+ big brakes onto the earlier dana 60 front and found out all it takes is swapping everything from the knuckles out. Anybody know what it takes to swap them on the rear sterling?

Subscribed….

Thinking this could be the next long-term build/tow rig project.

Guys on FTE were using hub centric spacers to fit 05+ wheels without issue. No personal experience with that though.

Honestly the axle swap can be done in a weekend if you prepare for it ahead of time by getting all the donor brackets off and ready to go.

the backup camera is a reasonable thing to skip, but you can keep all the factory stereo stuff and get an aftermarket amplifier that will take bluetooth direct to it, run your speakers through it and it can be hidden away

It did not happen before the first of the year, so it will, in fact, be sometime after the first of the year.

For the foreseeable future I’m working 7 days a week. And they’re driving around in it everyday. Hopefully I can do the headlights or the radio some Sunday afternoon.

I’m sort of half ass thinking about getting another excursion. They’re not making any more of them and I’ve got lots of room to park. There’s a whole other lean-to I could park one under.
IMG_2606.jpeg

Top Back Refresh