What's new

Recommend me a dual sport

I've gotten older and go slower now, I'd take $3000 Amerbux for this, really blows yer hair back, awesome for back roads and trail riding, not so nimble in mountainous riding.

That KTM looks really clean, sadly I'm not in a position to buy another dirtbike right now.

To the OP, I would look for an XR400, maybe an XR650R (probably a bit big for you though).
The DR400 and 650 are good bikes, dated and heavy, but they will get you started.

The WR250 and honda 250L are pretty heavy for what you get, they will be slugs on the highway, but are definitely reliable.

With that much dirt, DRZ400. Lighter and plenty of parts availability.

If you're gonna do more street, DR650. It was probably the best dual sport I've had.

I’m going to add my vote for the Wr250r. I picked one up after being out of riding for 10+ years and it never fails to put a smile on my face. It’s about as light of a dual sport as you’ll find without going exotic. They have car like maintenance intervals. Power is never lacking. Suspension is next level compared to its competitors. It definitely needs lower gearing, that makes it feel heavier in the tight stuff. Check for chain wear on the swing arm, other than that, pretty much bullet proof. I’d expect the value to stay flat on them, Yamaha just canceled them.

Reactions: DMG
Yea, my DR has been alright:

20190820_104701 - Copy.jpg

For longer rides that I can incorporate dirt roads into. A full day on the road on day one, get to an area, ride the dirt for a bit, then pavement home. That sort of thing. I just put Cogent suspension in it, front and rear. Didn't notice a big difference. =/

Last year I grabbed a 2008 GSX-F 650. Awesome, awesome bike. Has since become my main ride.

Yea, my DR has been alright:

For longer rides that I can incorporate dirt roads into. A full day on the road on day one, get to an area, ride the dirt for a bit, then pavement home. That sort of thing. I just put Cogent suspension in it, front and rear. Didn't notice a big difference. =/

Last year I grabbed a 2008 GSX-F 650. Awesome, awesome bike. Has since become my main ride.

Dom! The NOS!!!

Dom! The NOS!!!

Funny thing about that is, every time I get flagged down (all the damned time!) for that is hearing what others call nitrous. Juice, spray, spice, etc. :laughing:

Could probably pick this up for $1500. Looks to be in great shape.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...28230154993247

NOOOOO!!!! I had one of those, that RFCV engine is total garbage and will fall apart and be too expensive to be worth rebuilding. I paid $400 for mine, had a slight valvetrain noise. I put lashed the valves, rode it 100 miles, and the noise was back. Cam, followers, everything in the head was junk and the head was cracked. It's been setting in a field in KS with the head off of it for 12 years.

NOOOOO!!!! I had one of those, that RFCV engine is total garbage and will fall apart and be too expensive to be worth rebuilding. I paid $400 for mine, had a slight valvetrain noise. I put lashed the valves, rode it 100 miles, and the noise was back. Cam, followers, everything in the head was junk and the head was cracked. It's been setting in a field in KS with the head off of it for 12 years.

:laughing: thank you.

:laughing: thank you.

YMMV and maybe some years were better than others, but research the heck out of RFCV engines before getting serious about spending that kind of money on any old air cooled 4-stroke, especially that one. Mine was actually an XL250R, and I think it was an 89 or so but same engine and pretty sure the same batch of problems. It was also pretty slow, but could have been from the slowly dying cam and cracked head.

I ended up getting a '96 kdx200 (95-2006 are virtually the same) with an FMF pipe after the xl250 saga and rode that a lot. Lots of solo riding where I'd take off from home in the morning and come back after dark. Still have it and ride it once in awhile however family life dictates multiples seat vehicles now. I've never had any bike more modern than it but I have always felt it was x100 the bike of that 250r which is similar price and vintage. KDX is plenty fast for me , narrow, light, durable, and can cruise at 60mph on smooth trails or roads just fine with the KIPS closed, acting like a 4-stroke. Faster than 60 the KIPS open and it becomes more of a peaky 2-stroke and I wouldn't want to keep it running there for 10+miles straight. Keeping the RPM up off road keeps the kips open and it behaves like a 2-stroke and has enough power to lift the front tire over puddles and whoops up to 50 or so and is a blast to ride.

I bought it because it had a stator/headlight/brake light already so it's easy to put a plate on in MI, but I never have. It isn't REALLY supposed to be an on-road bike like a real dual sport (no cushion hub so chain life would probably suffer) but it I've ridden it in traffic and it is fun and has no issues, you just have to control your temptation to drive like an asshole. It's also only going to get 30mpg at best daily driving it very gently. What it gives up on the street is well worth it because it really is at home in the woods and trails.

edit: If I were closer I'd buy this just to have a second bike. Seller appears to be an idiot but even at $2000 that's a fair deal considering the KX fork swap and pipe. Get one of the universal strap on headlights off amazon for $30 to put a headlight back on it (that's what I did after I smashed my original for the 50th time).
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Last edited:

I've heard and had the exact opposite experience with the RFVC Hondas. My 600's were rock solid reliable, beat hard and had minimal maintenance. I think I adjusted the valves when I bought them and changed the oil when I felt like it.

I could see how that experience would leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have the same issue with Toyotas, one bad apple ruined them forever for me.

Personally I'd jump all over that XL250. Yeah an XR would be better on the trails but that thing is cheap, clean and as said above when you're ready for more bike you'll break even or possibly even make money selling it.

I've heard and had the exact opposite experience with the RFVC Hondas. My 600's were rock solid reliable, beat hard and had minimal maintenance. I think I adjusted the valves when I bought them and changed the oil when I felt like it.

I could see how that experience would leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have the same issue with Toyotas, one bad apple ruined them forever for me.

Personally I'd jump all over that XL250. Yeah an XR would be better on the trails but that thing is cheap, clean and as said above when you're ready for more bike you'll break even or possibly even make money selling it.

I'm only going off my experience with the 250rfvc I had, then I tried finding a good used engine and they all had pretty much the same problems. 600's could have been totally fine. I don't see how anyone would see a xl250 as being a good option instead of a kdx which would be about the same price and 10x the bike.

WR250R, DRZ 400, or XR650L. I like my 92 XR250L but it’s a bit slow and I’m not sure you can find one easily.

photo35337.jpg

My TW200 gets me where I want to go >mostly trails yet legal in-between. Long straightaways at 60+ seem to labor the little thing. I added a kick start and it has saved me at least 2X's now (junky batteries suck). Fun bike for the price.
edit oh and I am only 5.7 so I needed a shorter bike. Has hauled me and my 75lb kid all over the mountains.

Last edited:
My TW200 gets me where I want to go >mostly trails yet legal in-between. Long straightaways at 60+ seem to labor the little thing. I added a kick start and it has saved me at least 2X's now (junky batteries suck). Fun bike for the price.
edit oh and I am only 5.7 so I needed a shorter bike. Has hauled me and my 75lb kid all over the mountains.

Any time someone mentions the TW200, I have to post this:

If I wasn't so damned tall, I'd own one for sure.

Man, I'd love to get another 250 again.

I vote DRZ or and older xr650 dual sport. I just started ADV riding after doing the CR500/XR600 dirt bike scene forever. I actually bought a bigger BMW. I thought I could ride fairly well. For off road it was a pretty steep learning curve due to the weight and size of it. I figured it out. I also learned that fairly extensive dirt riding experience doesn't always correlate to success elsewhere.

They don't do much for my passion mechanically but I think either of the bikes I mentioned would work.

Um that is a XR250L not a XL250. I dunno other riding buddy has a XR250R and it works just fine.

the 400 have the same engine style and little issues with those?

Not much difference between the two in that era. Trust me, I wanted to love it when I bought it, seemed like a perfect solution for what I was riding and it would have been if the engine wasn't junk. I ended up getting an early 80's yamaha xt250 (not fast, but love that bike, DD'd it for years) that worked out better. Comfortable at 60mph getting 70mpg, but was also happy rolling around the woods at slow speeds and cruising at 45 on sled trails.

The 250rfcv engines may have been fine if they weren't ridden hard, but there is definitely an issue with them. Go try to find a good used head for sale, you can for the early xl250's with parallel valves but not the RFCV's. Every one I saw was cracked, had bad cam journals, etc. and the rockers/cam/valves were shot too. Couldn't find new parts worth the money. I spent a lot of time trying to source the parts to put mine back together and ultimately decided it would be a waste of money because of the rarity of good used cylinder heads and valvetrain parts. I ultimately decided I'd be better off swapping in a honda clone or used crf 250cc engine if I ever wanted to get it running again.

If you do look at a 250RFCV take a REALLY good listen to the top end and walk away if there is any noise.

YMMV

250 4 strokes are effective, but really genuinely boring and underpowered.

Its far more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I ran an FZ09 for a year. Screw. THAT. It was so stupid blipping around in 2nd gear.

Its far more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I ran an FZ09 for a year. Screw. THAT. It was so stupid blipping around in 2nd gear.

Hey, I rocked a 94 xr200 with a bunch of new 450 mx bikes. Dropped from a 47 to a 39 sprocket to keep up to em on the fireroads, and just rode like an asshole on trails. I know its fun, but its fun as a diversion. Being slower than everyone else sucks.

I recently picked up a 2018 DRZ400S with 1,000 miles for 4900. I'm working on making it fit me a little better; I'm 6-4, 220 so bar risers and a taller seat were first. Rear spring is probably coming soon. I've already put over 1,000 miles on it in the first two months and once I do some dialing over the winter (and get more gear and better tires), I'll be ready to improve my skills on her next Spring.

My intended use is to be able to ride maybe 100-300 miles to good terrain, ride terrain, then ride home. And, I'll probably commute a bit around here and I have to drive gravel roads every day.

I really thought I wanted a 650 and almost bought a 53 mile 2019 Honda XR650L. Price was just a little high and the dealer wouldn't budge. In the end, I'm glad I waited and got a smaller, cheaper bike, with practically unlimited aftermarket support.

DRZ-400S 2020-11-08 013.JPG

Hey, I rocked a 94 xr200 with a bunch of new 450 mx bikes. Dropped from a 47 to a 39 sprocket to keep up to em on the fireroads, and just rode like an asshole on trails. I know its fun, but its fun as a diversion. Being slower than everyone else sucks.

No it doesn't. I don't give a crap how fast anyone else is. I ride at the speed I like. I like looking at stuff around me.

I recently picked up a 2018 DRZ400S with 1,000 miles for 4900. I'm working on making it fit me a little better; I'm 6-4, 220 so bar risers and a taller seat were first. Rear spring is probably coming soon. I've already put over 1,000 miles on it in the first two months and once I do some dialing over the winter (and get more gear and better tires), I'll be ready to improve my skills on her next Spring.

My intended use is to be able to ride maybe 100-300 miles to good terrain, ride terrain, then ride home. And, I'll probably commute a bit around here and I have to drive gravel roads every day.

I really thought I wanted a 650 and almost bought a 53 mile 2019 Honda XR650L. Price was just a little high and the dealer wouldn't budge. In the end, I'm glad I waited and got a smaller, cheaper bike, with practically unlimited aftermarket support.

That is a cool bike. I know my ADV buddy had one and regretted selling it. He had it all fixed up and said it was a blast.

Top Back Refresh