What's new

Recommend me a dual sport

Another DRZ owner here. I owned one as my first bike at 23. I sold it and went through a bunch of other bikes - SV650, KTM 690, WR450, YZ450, CRF250X, but nothing else felt as solid and manageable as the DRZ, so I bought another one. They are the Jeep Wrangler of the motorcycle world - good at everything, but master of nothing. And they have a huge aftermarket.

I never felt like the DRZ was going to turn around and bite me - always controlled and never left me stranded.

For a 170lb rider the XR650 is way too much bike just in the weight dept. they come in at 350lb ready to ride. Any liquid cooled 450 is way too much bike power wise, 40-50hp won’t know you’re even on it.

My recommendation would be KDX220 if your looking to go 2-stroke, had one when I was younger and was a great woods bike, nimble and excellent power delivery, smooth and forgiving.

Another option would be the CRF250L, street legal out of the box, an exhaust and a reflash wakes them up considerably. Another great beginner bike. My old lady loves hers, full size but not radical in the power department so it won’t get you into trouble.

Another DRZ400 Rider here
I'm a big guy and it does just fine.

Did 1100 miles in two days, motor was singing and the bike got flogged on. Spent a brand new tire to the nubs in the process.

The only attitude I got out of the bike was when I hit the rev limiter.

Picked the bike up for nothing, put the money into the stuff that matters.
Steering Dampner
1-1/8 bars
Triple clamp
Fork/shock rebuild/valve
Long haul Tank
Gearing/Chain
Tubliss Tires, and fresh rubber

.....still came in way under budget of 3500.00

I have a bike that handles great,

Note: Start with a DRZ400E and convert that to Dual Sport, sheds about 30 lbs right there

How about a nice, reliable Honda?

CIMG1710.jpg

(my driveway, but not my acid-wash. I babysat that heap of junk for a while, before some random guy rode it away)

I'll sell you my DRZ400S with a extra set of street wheels for $3k

It's a heavy bike for technical dirt bike stuff, but 60mph and under twisty roads and dirt roads it's great. They are underpowered compared to a 450, but they are reliable and low maintenance, just put gas in them and ride.

$3000 is more than enough to get you into this. My first bike was an XL250R I rode home for $1200. I rode all over New England and did day trips to Canada with it. It wasn't until after I tried other bikes, that I realized I was a bit too tall for it. I've got a DR650 now kitted for international travel, but honestly I really miss having a 250. The 650 is a bit of a pig. That XL was the shit.

My cousin has a CRF250 and one day we went out on the 250s together. My 86, and his '16. Did some trails. Had a blast. Hit a "main" road out in the mountains. We wanted to race to the end. Took off, slammed through the gears, tucked in, sixth gear, motor just screaming, throttle pinned, I won. At a ball breaking 64mph. That was the most fun I ever had on any bike.

Find a 250. WRR would be the ticket, but not for $3000. Leave room for gear and some luggage. Your smartphone with OSM will navigate the globe; for free and no cell service.

I'm well versed in the dual sport world. Run anything by me.

edit: to add, I've ridden about 40,000 miles around New England and Canada. Vermont is, by far, my favorite state I have been in. Look up The Puppy Dog route.

I've gotten older and go slower now, I'd take $3000 Amerbux for this, really blows yer hair back, awesome for back roads and trail riding, not so nimble in mountainous riding.
2018-09-10_11-33-21_325.jpg

For a 170lb rider the XR650 is way too much bike just in the weight dept. they come in at 350lb ready to ride. Any liquid cooled 450 is way too much bike power wise, 40-50hp won’t know you’re even on it.

My recommendation would be KDX220 if your looking to go 2-stroke, had one when I was younger and was a great woods bike, nimble and excellent power delivery, smooth and forgiving.

I'll respectfully disagree on the 2 stroke as dual sport idea. I love 2 strokes but they make a poor dual sport bike. The novelty wears off real quick. I put a couple hundred miles on my '04 CR250 in Mexico and it sucked big time. I bought a cheap XR600 for the next trip and it was money well spent. I'm about 175 and got along great with the 300+ lb XR. Different riding style than a light 2 stroke but you can still go fast and get them through some shit.

$3000 is more than enough to get you into this. My first bike was an XL250R I rode home for $1200. I rode all over New England and did day trips to Canada with it. It wasn't until after I tried other bikes, that I realized I was a bit too tall for it. I've got a DR650 now kitted for international travel, but honestly I really miss having a 250. The 650 is a bit of a pig. That XL was the shit.

My cousin has a CRF250 and one day we went out on the 250s together. My 86, and his '16. Did some trails. Had a blast. Hit a "main" road out in the mountains. We wanted to race to the end. Took off, slammed through the gears, tucked in, sixth gear, motor just screaming, throttle pinned, I won. At a ball breaking 64mph. That was the most fun I ever had on any bike.

Find a 250. WRR would be the ticket, but not for $3000. Leave room for gear and some luggage. Your smartphone with OSM will navigate the globe; for free and no cell service.

I'm well versed in the dual sport world. Run anything by me.

edit: to add, I've ridden about 40,000 miles around New England and Canada. Vermont is, by far, my favorite state I have been in. Look up The Puppy Dog route.

Cool route. Passes within a few miles of my house.

The KLX250 seems to be decent.

Cool route. Passes within a few miles of my house.

The KLX250 seems to be decent.

Dad and I did a trip through VT that brought us by some reservoir. It was all dirt roads leading to it. Bunch of people there too. We spent half a day riding around that area. We got to some road, that turned into a trail, that turned into a straight up walking path. For like 50', we were sloshing through mud and roots. It was awful. Finally broke through some brush to a cleared, dirt parking area. A lady, who I'd guess to be 110 years old, was in a rocking chair on the porch leaned forward, and applauded us. they usually don't make it! It was a dairy farm and they showed us around. Was neat to see the cows and stuff.

KLX is a decent bike. Don't be too afraid of carbs either. I'd prefer FI, but deals can be had with carbs.

The more I read into it and compare, I think the WR is the way to go.

Guess I'll have to save a bit more. They seem to hold their value.

Cousin has one. Its a ripper. Its a bit too high geared from the factory. Everyone drops a gear. Nice bike. Tall too. After dumping ~$8000 into my DR, I sort of wish I had went with a WRR.

Just get something cheap and reliable for your first bike. Ride it for awhile and go from there. Buddies I ride with have a ton of bikes and each has a Christine. While back they got sick of all the new stuff and bought XR400's and ride them 95% of the time now. And they ride with everyone that's got way newer bikes. The bikes don't slow them down at all, point is reading stuff on the web gives a different view then reality. Is the WR the one with the motocross gear ratios? Buddy has one of them too and it just sits over the XR.

Xr400 or wr250. 2 fairly different bikes but both great for what they are. The good thing about the 400 is if you buy it right it will never loose a dime of value.

I absolutely hate Klr and drs. Heavy and slow. Sure they do everything but the dont do anything well. However If your the kind of person who is totally content driving a 96 lesbaru wagon the speed 10mph under the speed limit these may be the bikes for you.

I've gotten older and go slower now, I'd take $3000 Amerbux for this, really blows yer hair back, awesome for back roads and trail riding, not so nimble in mountainous riding.

That's a beautiful machine. Location & Details?

I can't find any XR400s in my area. The XR250s list are asking north of $3k.

Pricing is all out of whack right now. :rolleyes:

Xr400 or wr250. 2 fairly different bikes but both great for what they are. The good thing about the 400 is if you buy it right it will never loose a dime of value.

I absolutely hate Klr and drs. Heavy and slow. Sure they do everything but the dont do anything well. However If your the kind of person who is totally content driving a 96 lesbaru wagon the speed 10mph under the speed limit these may be the bikes for you.

There is a bit of truth to this. Dad has a KLR and I have a DR. I hate his bike. Slow. Heavy. Clunky. Just awful. My bike isn't...bad. It does circles around his bike. I've done 700 miles in 17h on my DR. Its a nice bike if you do end up hitting a few hundred miles of pavement over the course of a multiday ride. Good all-rounder.

I'm buying a new bike this spring. KLX300 is pretty much exactly what I want so I'll be checking that out. DRZ400 is the backup plan.

I'll respectfully disagree on the 2 stroke as dual sport idea. I love 2 strokes but they make a poor dual sport bike. The novelty wears off real quick. I put a couple hundred miles on my '04 CR250 in Mexico and it sucked big time. I bought a cheap XR600 for the next trip and it was money well spent. I'm about 175 and got along great with the 300+ lb XR. Different riding style than a light 2 stroke but you can still go fast and get them through some shit.

Speaking from bikes I’ve owned and ridden over the years.

I was 16 when I was riding the KDX, and winning almost every weekend on it in the woods. For someone who is a beginner looking into a bike that’s easy to ride and doesn’t leave a gap when your skills improve, with more dirt than street in mind I still say it’s a great bike.

I love my XR650 but when I try and ride it like my YZ I get myself into predicaments. It’s hard to ride the tight technical East Coast single track and you can really feel it’s weight, especially when you have to clutch and dab in weird rocky sections. Great bike, but again wouldn’t recommend it for a beginner.

I'm not ask much of a bike guys as these other guys are but I would call on that one. $1500 would be done/deal.

I loved my last wr450f, it was light years ahead of the xr400 that it replaced and made me a much more confident rider in the dirt. The XR kicked my ass every time I tried some challenging rides

That bike is going to ride like ass and be slow as shit compared to just about anything else even slightly newer. If you are going to use it 80% of the time on dirt you want a dirt bike, not a dirt moped like that XR 250.

if your hitting whoops at 80 yeah, if your learning to ride and doing woods stuff it will be just fine.

"New motor, one ride. Needs carb rebuild"

I bet you $10 the motor is fucked, not the carb.

The ‘03 models had an issue with the electric start too iirc essentially led to a “new motor.” Carb issues are so common with current gasoline that I almost always assume that.

"New motor, one ride. Needs carb rebuild"

I bet you $10 the motor is fucked, not the carb.

didnt notice new motor

meh, last 6 bikes i bought on CL all needed jist a carb rebuilt. If it turns ad has compression, Id gamble on it.

I ride an 07 WR450 and it is probably my favorite bike I have ever ridden. I do wish it was fuel injected. Missed it by a year. But easier to mod. She even approved.

photo35105.jpg

Top Back Refresh