What's new

Ranger 2.3/2.5- EFI to carb-(specifacally getting a distributor in one)?

Defecater

Member Number
Looking at the possibilities of ditching the EFI from either a 98 2.5(last evolution of the "lima" 2.0 if I am not mistaken) or alternately, an early 90's 2.3. Lets not get into EFI vs carb BS. I want to ditch the EFI for the simplicity of the project (beat up, rusty 48 flatfender)
looking at the 2.3, it appears the block still has the appropriate place for a distributor, it just has a plug bolted into it. Anybody know if the cam would have the drive gear on it?
The only 2.5 I have been able to put my eyes on lately has enough crap in the way that I can not tell if there even might be a spot for distributor. Anybody shed some knowledge on that one either?

Out of curiosity. Could you leave the ignition alone and use a carb intake setup.

Or use a micro squirt on the ford EDIS

So the question is if the block is machined fully and the cam has the appropriate gear? I can't say, doesn't arse_sidewards know these deals ?

Out of curiosity. Could you leave the ignition alone and use a carb intake setup.

Or use a micro squirt on the ford EDIS
maybe, but kind of missing the point. It is a beat up,rusty old flatfender that I just want to keep simple. If I were building it up to be a driver/wheeler, I would without a doubt go with the whole EFI setup. It will spend its time with me being left outside exposed to midwestern elements. I will use it to putz around on the property and on rare occasion take it wheeling when I feel like wheeling something other than my more capable rigs. Duraspark ignition setup and likely propane fueled. Simple

Why not just use an engine that came with a carb and dizzy already?

No offense but taking an engine that has a simple EFI system that already is on it and removing it for what you are describing because it's simple to me makes zero sense 🤷

Why not just use an engine that came with a carb and dizzy already?

No offense but taking an engine that has a simple EFI system that already is on it and removing it for what you are describing because it's simple to me makes zero sense 🤷
I already have one of each engine in question. Dont have a carbed version.

Shure, the engine itself makes sense because the EFI is already on it. Its all the wiring, relays fuel pump and lines that make it more complicated than swapping on a Duraspark and propane carb

I'd venture to say you could make a harness out of what you have faster then you can the carb conversion and cheaper.

I'm sure you can get a dedicated standalone controller for the coil pack. But it sounds like you are dead set on a dizzy.

Top Back Refresh