What's new

Race truck 4653

Awesome, it's going to be a short course format race. Should be good for spectating.

Currently replacing some diff studs, replacing the cold start injector gasket, adding a Toyota fuel filter back into the fuel system, installing some fresh fuel injectors and bolting up some new limit straps.
6hMWeOdaing226ZTpB-X2=w854-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

tqV7zMQq4AgpzjPFvwTX9=w854-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
xwUeZD09MbXBo9wi-SpQC=w854-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
We had tentative plans to go to the Badlands race but Kentucky is closer and better for spectators for sure. No idea how the course will play out but thankful to be able to watch some racing in person again and bring our little dude along.

He was carrying around your’s and Hunter’s racing stickers last night and again this morning. He actually wanted to sleep with them both last night but I didn’t want him to bend them.

Last edited:
We had tentative plans to go to the Badlands race but Kentucky is closer and better for spectators for sure. No idea how the course will play out but thankful to be able to watch some racing in person again and bring our little dude along.

He was carrying around your’s and Hunter’s racing stickers last night and again this morning. He actually wanted to sleep with them both last night but I didn’t want him to bend them.
I went to an ultra 4 race at the badlands, and good call skipping. Can't really see much action. Also Indiana sucks in general:laughing:

I went to an ultra 4 race at the badlands, and good call skipping. Can't really see much action. Also Indiana sucks in general:laughing:
I was going to go since it was the closest race listed in the schedule that wasn't Rush, KY. While I'm not big on short course racing, it'll be great to see/smell/hear race vehicles again and to bring my little dude along to see it in person too.

I broke another t-case input shaft in the rocks during the third event. I parked the truck, focused on my son's race and watched JR4X hauling ass during the 4600 main. Overall it was a great event and an awesome park. I also had the pleasure of meeting ridered3 and his family.
Sorry to hear about another case. What are the options in your situation for potential upgrades?

Sorry to hear about another case. What are the options in your situation for potential upgrades?

I am looking into a few options at the moment. Dana 300, cyro treatment on input shafts, Atlas, or heat-treated and carburized SCM415 alloy steel input. I am not sure at the moment.

I found this on the old site and thought the second sentence fit my style.
MZudlT7EAE1ZmOcHyZAvT=w857-h217-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I broke another t-case input shaft in the rocks during the third event. I parked the truck, focused on my son's race and watched JR4X hauling ass during the 4600 main. Overall it was a great event and an awesome park. I also had the pleasure of meeting ridered3 and his family.
Dang ol’ transfer cases not transferring anymore :lmao:

Thanks again for everything. Was great meeting y’all in real life and little dude is enamored by all things U4 now (as JR4X warned me about beforehand).

We had to go back to the track again this morning before heading home. Wanted to watch racing again. :lmao:

What input are you breaking? Front or rear case? And what situation?

Like high range, first case in low, 2nd in high, visa Vera, ect?

I thought last time it was the first case input, which if that's the case, you're kinda fucked, except maybe goint to factory parts over tg. Any combo of atlas or whatever will still have the same size input at the trans.

with out redesigning the entire rig and drive train i feel like an atlas maybe the best option. dana 300 still only gets you 4 to one unless you put a doubler in front but then the same failure happens but worse, the case splits in half. 205 way too big and not low enough. this is just my 2 cents. 4speed atlas but also never looked into the cost of one of them either. awesome to see you still giving it the beans :beer:

What input are you breaking? Front or rear case? And what situation?

Like high range, first case in low, 2nd in high, visa Vera, ect?

I thought last time it was the first case input, which if that's the case, you're kinda fucked, except maybe goint to factory parts over tg. Any combo of atlas or whatever will still have the same size input at the trans.
Same thoughts. Curious as to the combination engaged and which part broke.

with out redesigning the entire rig and drive train i feel like an atlas maybe the best option. dana 300 still only gets you 4 to one unless you put a doubler in front but then the same failure happens but worse, the case splits in half. 205 way too big and not low enough. this is just my 2 cents. 4speed atlas but also never looked into the cost of one of them either. awesome to see you still giving it the beans :beer:

But what I'm saying is the input of the first case is going to be the same size no matter what, so unless he changes transmissions, not sure anything will improve.

Unless he can get more ideal gearing for racing, imo 2.28/4.7 is terrible for racing, double low is useless, 4.7 is probably decent for crawling, but too low for going fast and it's typically not a great idea to run just the front 2.28 in low when beating on it.

I'd think 2.28/2.28 would be way better. Leave the rear in low all the time, then toggle just the crawl box for obstacles

Same thoughts. Curious as to the combination engaged and which part broke.

1 gear, front case in Hi and rear case in 4Hi. This is the same thing that happened at the Crandon race. I was cruising through the rock section, took a bad bounce and bang, all neutrals. I am not sure exactly which part broke but it's either the front case input or the rear case input. I will get it disassembled soon.

HIohf0kBE7yVppnOO5Zkw=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
3iNBUfy-LMxZkuoNftQgp=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
1yK7ercXUcPFFr_Y75KsM=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

1 gear, front case in Hi and rear case in 4Hi. This is the same thing that happened at the Crandon race. I was cruising through the rock section, took a bad bounce and bang, all neutrals. I am not sure exactly which part broke but it's either the front case input or the rear case input. I will get it disassembled soon.

HIohf0kBE7yVppnOO5Zkw=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
3iNBUfy-LMxZkuoNftQgp=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
1yK7ercXUcPFFr_Y75KsM=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
could a drive shaft be bottoming out?

Would you be willing to try 2 2.28 cases? I can't imagine you'd want to be creepy crawling at 230:1 during a race. 2 stock case, 5.29s and 35s is plenty low imo, but obviously everyone is different. Just slightly taller than 2nd gear low low with the current 2.28/4.7

You'd also have a top speed of about 72 mph in single low. Which I'd think is plenty for 90%+ of the time? Obviously high range is still an option if you think you'll be going faster.

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Would you be willing to try 2 2.28 cases? I can't imagine you'd want to be creepy crawling at 230:1 during a race. 2 stock case, 5.29s and 35s is plenty low imo, but obviously everyone is different. Just slightly taller than 2nd gear low low with the current 2.28/4.7

You'd also have a top speed of about 72 mph in single low. Which I'd think is plenty for 90%+ of the time? Obviously high range is still an option if you think you'll be going faster.

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Yep, I am going to keep the Toyota insanity going. I don't want to invest the time and money into redesigning the drivetrain at this point. Right now I have 3 dual case adapters and enough RF1A parts to build a spare and a backup set of duals. The one that goes in the truck next will consist of 2 stock cases. In the past I have raced short distances from obstacle to obstacle in single low with no issues so that might be an option for longer distances also. I am going to do some local testing and try some different stuff.
j0Ob10qTjja1A11mxuymO=w962-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Top Back Refresh