What's new

Project - No Ducks Givin' - A done right (for me) CJ Buggy

Parts staring to com in slowly. ORA low profile truss for the 60 and some Motobilt Corner guards.

20240325_134556.jpg

I'm going to stretch the tub 6 or 8 inches for that little extra leg and storage room. 8" will keep the holes even and keep my OCD in check. Figure I'll mount them, get all the holes drilled then cut the body and guards so I can bolt it all together and help keep it straightish.

20240325_135433.jpg

Parts staring to com in slowly. ORA low profile truss for the 60 and some Motobilt Corner guards.

20240325_134556.jpg

I'm going to stretch the tub 6 or 8 inches for that little extra leg and storage room. 8" will keep the holes even and keep my OCD in check. Figure I'll mount them, get all the holes drilled then cut the body and guards so I can bolt it all together and help keep it straightish.

20240325_135433.jpg

I looked high and low for a not completely rusted out FJ40 tub to do the same..... meh

More parts rolling in. The goat built sub frame showed up today. Really have to thank Wisconsinite for all the help and patience answering my stupid questions. Hopefully i can get started on it next weekend. With this weekend being easter im sure ill be tied up with family stuff.

20240327_145417.jpg

Those are block off plates/reinforcement plates for the upper control arm mounts. It takes the C profile and boxes it in. Makes it stronger and stops them from filling in with debris.

1717674543304.jpeg

1717674454469.jpeg

1717674583159.jpeg

Ok so I got the ones for the rear links figured out. These other pieces don't fit the front mounts. In the picture it looks like a 4 link kit. Mine is 3 link

Ok so I got the ones for the rear links figured out. These other pieces don't fit the front mounts. In the picture it looks like a 4 link kit. Mine is 3 link
Yup, that would be the case. Those only work for the 4 link front kit. If you wanted to close in the front upper link on your kit it would be pretty easy.

Yup, that would be the case. Those only work for the 4 link front kit. If you wanted to close in the front upper link on your kit it would be pretty easy.
OK. It looks easy is it worth it?

Started welding up the sub frame. Everything you read says that these just go right together.... and damn if that's not the truth. I couldn't begins to imagine building this from scratch.

Also ordered some ruffstuff trailing arms.

20240611_130452.jpg
20240606_124001.jpg

Last edited:
Little bit here, little bit there...

Sub frame is pretty much done other then some final weld out. Started on the trailing arms.

20240802_182422.jpg
20240723_183620.jpg
20240814_125608.jpg
20240814_130816.jpg

Got the sub frame almost fully welded up and have one trailing arm done. FYI ruff stuff uses 3" bushings on the frame side of the trailing arm.... If I had better reading comprehension i would have caught this before. Gonna be spending a lot of time with a grinder.... At least the other one I can cut a new one before welding it up.

20240826_183700.jpg
20240826_181152.jpg

front and rear trailing arms? or just rear. and what kind of thought process led you down the trailing arm path. i am thinking about them right now but dont know enough to make a decision

front and rear trailing arms? or just rear. and what kind of thought process led you down the trailing arm path. i am thinking about them right now but dont know enough to make a decision

Just rear, and all the cool kids seem to be doing it.

I needed new heim joints for the rear, I needed link material, and I can run a 12" shock.

And again, all the cool kids are doing it :flipoff2:

I wish. They want as much as a kingpin, everyone and there brother Plus I would need a locker, gears, shafts, crossover, different wheels, blah blah blah. And then I would definitely have to by a case or swap to passenger drop.

Or just use what's here and in good shape. I'll sell one of my 60s to buy shafts. I have 3 now.

And with all my shitty welding the axle is your complaint? You're slipping. :flipoff2:

I wish. They want as much as a kingpin, everyone and there brother Plus I would need a locker, gears, shafts, crossover, different wheels, blah blah blah. And then I would definitely have to by a case or swap to passenger drop.

Or just use what's here and in good shape. I'll sell one of my 60s to buy shafts. I have 3 now.

And with all my shitty welding the axle is your complaint? You're slipping. :flipoff2:

Just seems like the low pinion 60s don't hold up well to your type of wheeling and a V8. chaplinfj60 broke his r&p pretty quick after a V8 swap and only 40s.

Top Back Refresh