What's new

Project Concepts that you will never do

My own toyhauler. Fuck the trash that’s out there from the manufacturers

I think I'd like to put a 6bt or 7.3 in my old Highboy, but the reality is that if anything happens to the 460 that's in it, I'll spend 300-500 on another used 460.

My dad's got a 54 International pickup that's been sitting in his shop for 30 some years now, he converted to 4wd with all the factory gear and then the project was put on pretty much permanent hold. I want to talk him out of it an put the body on a late model 3/4 or 1 ton chassis but I don't know if that'll ever happen.

whew! looks like im not crazy, or at least not the only crazy person :laughing:

this would be epic btw^^

i can imagine a little black streak screaming across a lake :smokin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqX8ZY1Vdo

Kind of like this but direct drive with a two speed trans so you can really get a good pull.

There was a video of a boat that was the same concept in europe somewhere but I can't find it.

Jeep LJ, slammed with 2wd XJ front beam axle, no hood or front fenders just the Jeep grill held in place with the stock support rods, 15” or so wide slicks on the rear and LS power

I hope this one will actually happen someday, but im not holding my breath
Dodge pilothouse panel or pre 1960 Ford panel truck, 500 caddy front clip, drop rear axle, drop floor, wheelchair ramp out the back door.
I've got other fantasy ideas, but thats the one I hope actually happens

If you're remotely ready to buy the panel, I have access to a pretty nice 58ish ford for under 3k

cool idea, could be done with a Lincoln continental 32v 4.6 cobra motor front wheel drive as well:smokin:

I grew up messing with the old VW beetles. My last VW was a Baja with a 2.2 Ecotec in it. It ran strong.
I have been tossing the idea around of a full bodied Beetle with a high horsepower (750 ish) mid engine transverse mounted turbocharged Ecotec in the back seat area.
Leave the outside of it bone stock looking.
I'll probably never do it, but it sounds like fun.

2004 Audi A4, turbo LS, 6 speed rwd with AC. I have penciled it out a ton of times, but likely never will build it.

I grew up messing with the old VW beetles. My last VW was a Baja with a 2.2 Ecotec in it. It ran strong.
I have been tossing the idea around of a full bodied Beetle with a high horsepower (750 ish) mid engine transverse mounted turbocharged Ecotec in the back seat area.
Leave the outside of it bone stock looking.
I'll probably never do it, but it sounds like fun.

That would be violent! Shit mine was fun with 70hp or whatever it was making. I loved my baja to death but never really liked the air cooled VW part of it, I was too broke to build it with anything else at the time though. I've tried to stay real far away from VW shit since.

40s or 50s Merc, lowered(air bags), 700CI all aluminum with 8-71 and fuel injection, Allison auto, Sterling 10.25 amd some 24" wide treads in the rear.
exterior all stock, super sleeper...

Bronco II.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bronco II.jpg Views:	0 Size:	581.5 KB ID:	75112
I wanna take a Bronco II, cut off the roof behind the front seats, move the rear hatch up to the front of the bed, and weld it into place to close off the cab. Grab a tailgate from a Ranger and turn it into a really short bed, unibody pickup. Drop in a 5.0L/AOD/Tcase drivetrain from an F150, front D44 from an EB, an 8.8 or 9" rear, and confuse people. Quick and dirty photoshop above.

Cherokee 2 door.jpg

Pretty much the same thing with a 2 door XJ Cherokee.

Build a '70 Chevelle SS 396/4 speed wagon.

IMG_0298.JPG

How about a 3/4 ton early Bronco? 351W, high pinion, full width, 8 lug D44 up front, full floater 8 lug "Camper Special" D60 out back.

'66 Chevy C10 short wide bed, with a rermovable bed topper formed to mimic the roofline of Suburban/Carryall. Suicide rear doors, or maybe have them slide back on hidden tracks like a minivan. Big Block Chevy. Turbo 400, ,minitubs in the rear.

Last edited:
I wanna take a Bronco II, cut off the roof behind the front seats, move the rear hatch up to the front of the bed, and weld it into place to close off the cab. Grab a tailgate from a Ranger and turn it into a really short bed, unibody pickup. Drop in a 5.0L/AOD/Tcase drivetrain from an F150, front D44 from an EB, an 8.8 or 9" rear, and confuse people.

I've got similar projects with two FJ55s. Both slow as hell projects. With luck, the 472 big block version will be going sooner than later. I'm knocking off the ass end behind the rear wheel by 16".

I've got similar projects with two FJ55s. Both slow as hell projects. With luck, the 472 big block version will be going sooner than later. I'm knocking off the ass end behind the rear wheel by 16".

Do you have any pics? This was always a thought I had. Here is my DD. Imagine the rear shortened so bumper is right under the fender flair.

MVC-007S.JPG

Do you have any pics? This was always a thought I had. Here is my DD. Imagine the rear shortened so bumper is right under the fender flair.
Both projects are currently in the works.

Here is what the rear looks like stock with a new wheel well opening marked up:
MockUp1_sml.jpg

Here is the same rear cut apart(16" out of the rear):
cut1_sml.jpg

Here is how the cab line will look for both 55s(this is picture of 2nd 55):
roof1_sml.jpg

Here is someone else's example of mid-fab for cab:
image-49894.jpg

The burnt one is one project that I'm doing most of the work on(ie I can afford for it to look like shit). 472 Cady + SM465, Dana 60 front/rear with rear steer. Stock ~108" wheel base. Maybe 1" lift for 35" tires.

The brown one is 2nd project that I'm farming out most of the work on(ie looking for OCD level work). Turbo 5.3L with doubler. Dana 60 front/rear. Frame grafted to get to 120" wheel base. I believe it is ~5-6" of lift for 43" tires.

I want to build a 2 ½ ton 4x4. Late 40s early 50s gmc or chevy cab rockwells tall deck big block chevy probably a Clark transmission some kind of transfer case. Or swb square body dually 4x4 on 60s big block chevy 400 or 465 transmission and 205 case.

I wanna take a Bronco II, cut off the roof behind the front seats, move the rear hatch up to the front of the bed, and weld it into place to close off the cab. Grab a tailgate from a Ranger and turn it into a really short bed, unibody pickup. Drop in a 5.0L/AOD/Tcase drivetrain from an F150, front D44 from an EB, an 8.8 or 9" rear, and confuse people.
I was gonna do the same thing, 2 door Explorer though for a bigger bed. Kept the rear hatch just for that, was gonna do a bed cage with roof rack blah blah blah.

Then I realized the body was too gone to get the doors back on and working, then kids came along... long story short now it has an old piece of the roof screwed on the cage for rear seat shade :laughing:
20200313_164700.jpg

I have a uncut half cab early Bronco that I’ve been ignoring for about a decade and a half, it’s just bare metal, all new rockers, inner fenders, pillars, ect.. drunk conversation around a campfire the other night with my brother and I’m going to buy a totaled 2021 bronco and use the 2.7, 10 speed, t case then link it on coil overs. yea that ain’t happening anytime soon.:lmao:

Pretty much the same thing with a 2 door XJ Cherokee.

I was gonna do the same thing, 2 door Explorer though for a bigger bed. Kept the rear hatch just for that, was gonna do a bed cage with roof rack blah blah blah.

Then I realized the body was too gone to get the doors back on and working, then kids came along... long story short now it has an old piece of the roof screwed on the cage for rear seat shade :laughing:

Reminded me of this I keep seeing when looking for parts for my 88 Ranger.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts...159432348.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200313_164700.jpg Views:	0 Size:	466.4 KB ID:	74645

Last edited:
Widebody Mitsubishi Starion with an aluminum LS engine and a 6 speed would be tits.

By the time I get around to having the time and the space to work on it I probably won't be able to find one.

Get a clapped '90s Town Car and put a 3 valve V10 with twin tarbos in it.

Also, idk why joggers put stupid hack lift kits on Crown Vics, but I always thought you could just slap a 2wd cherokee beam axle under the front and fit some big azz rimz yo! and it would actually ride and steer good.

Or put a dana 30 in it and a transfercase. Then find the ugliest and cheapest chrome 22s on craigslist and put tractor tires on them. Dunk on the haterz at the mudhole gnome sayin'?
I could probably put boggers on it actually and ride it to Sonic on friday night. I think interco makes a 35" bogger for 22" wheel now. :mr-t:

Last edited:
12' flat bottom Jon boat as wide as I can find with jetski internals and power to make it go.

Small trailer to tow behind my dual sport that'll haul my fishing kayak.

Would like to find an old 50's aluminum camper and modify it to be a toy hauler. Maybe some day I'll find a halfway decent camper to start with and go from there. I only really need to carry my dirt bike and maybe the kid's bike if she takes a liking to it. Which brings me back to wishing I had built up a crew cab truck instead of my Excursion as then I could just carry the bikes in the bed.

spartan-04.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh