What's new

Price of used vehicles declining?

It started here but is stagnating with the dealers at least. All those top dollar trade ins are sitting for months longer than they used to. I found one truck in the area that interests me, it's been on the lot for 4 months now which is a lot longer than it would have sat last year. The cars.com price tracker graph has it falling down to an asymptote, the thing just isn't going to sell for what they paid for it. I'd say we're starting in on the next step of the crash

It started here but is stagnating with the dealers at least. All those top dollar trade ins are sitting for months longer than they used to. I found one truck in the area that interests me, it's been on the lot for 4 months now which is a lot longer than it would have sat last year. The cars.com price tracker graph has it falling down to an asymptote, the thing just isn't going to sell for what they paid for it. I'd say we're starting in on the next step of the crash
I'd say you are correct. I have a half dozen that I will loose on when I sell due to the scenario you mentioned.

I'd say you are correct. I have a half dozen that I will loose on when I sell due to the scenario you mentioned.

“if you think you’re gonna make money on every car, just get that idea out of your head right now. You will lose on some of them”

How about travel trailers? Time to start looking or wait?

How about travel trailers? Time to start looking or wait?
Dealer lots are flooded with stock. They're already starting to fling outrageous deals. Same with ATVs and SxS. The toys are always the first to fall off.

My company bought three toy haulers beginning of last year. One of them got stolen on its first deployment. Finally settled with the hotshot trash, and can now buy it's replacement and 2/3rds of another one for what we paid for 1 unit last year.

Dealer lots are flooded with stock. They're already starting to fling outrageous deals. Same with ATVs and SxS. The toys are always the first to fall off.

My company bought three toy haulers beginning of last year. One of them got stolen on its first deployment. Finally settled with the hotshot trash, and can now buy it's replacement and 2/3rds of another one for what we paid for 1 unit last year.
of course once I do not need any SxS's the prices would drop.

I seem to always buy top of the market on everything.

Ive seen tons of travel trailers and UTVs pop up for sale. Some are still stupid prices but there are a few decent deals I think.

We probably have 8 RV/travel trailer dealers in town and they are all stacked to the gills with inventory. I see lots of clearance banners on the lot.

The car dealers are starting to have more, but they all still want 5k+ over msrp.

There was a brand new 4 door Bronco sitting at a very small Ford dealer I was at a few weeks ago. Black Diamond package, leather 2.3 Ecoboost/10spd for $46,xxx. No mark up, no bullshit. Only thing it didn't have was a hardtop.

Now that many of the work from home programs have ended people aren't needing the RVs like during the scamdemic.
Demand was high supply was low, now the reverse.
The truck/car market is not there depending on model.

Now that many of the work from home programs have ended people aren't needing the RVs like during the scamdemic.
Demand was high supply was low, now the reverse.
The truck/car market is not there depending on model.

See I didn't understand that whole thing. Were people running out to buy RVs to travel around while "working from home"?

See I didn't understand that whole thing. Were people running out to buy RVs to travel around while "working from home"?
They shut everything down and the only vacation people could take was locally, so they bought RVs and boats. Plus a lot of people were either not working, or could work from "home" for the first time. You couldn't get either 2 years ago. Now manufacturing has caught up and nobody needs or wants them.

I know several people that want to sell their sxs’s but the market here is flooded with used units for sale and they don’t seem to be selling. The can am dealer I use has a full showroom of new units that haven’t been selling.

Prices are still a tad high but they’ll have to start dropping if anyone wants to actually sell.

My little brother is a salesman for a local RV dealer that moves a ton of units.. last two years he stuck a fat hog in the ass. I told him I hope you saved some of that money. He knew it wouldn't last forever and he said their lot is full of inventory. Manufacturers are starting to give rebates to drop prices but the high interest rates are still keeping people off the lots. he said 700+ credit is getting 7-8+% interest.. That is a tough pill to swallow on a $100k toy hauler.

Last edited:
Price is falling, but relative to what?

Manufactures are still playing games to keep inventory low and prices high. GM 'temporarily' shut down a factory. Ford stopped making the EV lightning 'cause one caught fire in the building :laughing:

5 years ago it was known you lost $5k driving it off the lot. A year ago it was $5k over MSRP.

We still a ways from 2018

They shut everything down and the only vacation people could take was locally, so they bought RVs and boats. Plus a lot of people were either not working, or could work from "home" for the first time. You couldn't get either 2 years ago. Now manufacturing has caught up and nobody needs or wants them.
I have rich friends who said we can't spend the $10k we normally spend on a summer vacation so they bought boats, then sold them at the peak, neither of them lost money on those $150k purchases.

Yea I guess I get that. Then combine that with states that shut everything down vs states that didn't and it caused this mass migration of idiots.
I lost count of the folks I saw in Silverton CO on their laptops sittinhg at picnic tables in parks etc.
Sprinter vans end to end on the side of the trail with laptops open on the kitchen table.

I was pretty fucking jealous of them.

I lost count of the folks I saw in Silverton CO on their laptops sittinhg at picnic tables in parks etc.
Sprinter vans end to end on the side of the trail with laptops open on the kitchen table.

Psshhh. Ive doing that life for years!

* stares out at filthy truck stop parking lot as some slob walks past picking his ass *

I have rich friends who said we can't spend the $10k we normally spend on a summer vacation so they bought boats, then sold them at the peak, neither of them lost money on those $150k purchases.
My dad had a 2 or 3 year old travel trailer that was practically brand new. He sold it for what he paid for it. He says he'll buy another one, but he sure doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

Yea I guess I get that. Then combine that with states that shut everything down vs states that didn't and it caused this mass migration of idiots.

One of the equipment reps I work with is good friends with a realtor from the Lake of the Ozark area. That realtor said one of the main reasons lake home pricing went so high so fast is because once people were allowed to work remote they realized they could live where they wanted to instead of where they had to.

Price is falling, but relative to what?

Manufactures are still playing games to keep inventory low and prices high. GM 'temporarily' shut down a factory. Ford stopped making the EV lightning 'cause one caught fire in the building :laughing:

5 years ago it was known you lost $5k driving it off the lot. A year ago it was $5k over MSRP.

We still a ways from 2018
We’ve passed step one, used prices are no longer equal to new or more.

Used economy vehicles are listed online for under $5k again.

Over the last month I’ve taken two trips that were 7 hours one way to different locations. One of these drives I typically do twice a year. All the car dealer lots that were void of new cars for the last two years were almost full of new trucks this time. Except for one Toyota dealership that was almost a completely bare lot.

There’s a trailer dealership I drive by every day that for the last 30 years has had 50-75 new trailers at any given time. The last two years they usually had less than 5. Now they have about 30.

This is all local to me obviously so may be different in other areas.

Changes are happening and I think will be happening fast by end of year if not sooner.

That was all over. Florida, texas Colorado. Every park seemed to have that.

Top Back Refresh