What's new

Pics of me towing stuff

The dump trailer is a a whole nother animal on "flotation tires". I don't know where I posted it, but yes, the 305/75r16 All Terrain E rated truck tires are the shit. It dramatically improved where I could take the loaded trailer. I'll never have to worry about overloading those axles.

The dump trailer is a a whole nother animal on "flotation tires". I don't know where I posted it, but yes, the 305/75r16 All Terrain E rated truck tires are the shit. It dramatically improved where I could take the loaded trailer. I'll never have to worry about overloading those axles.
Did you put brakes on it? How?

This has been on my radar for a long time, and I've got a stash of 10.25s

My thinking was a crawler style hydraulic disc swap and a etrailer electro over hydro module

I'm curious what you did

The trailer wheels are fantastic. Funny thing is, if you go back to the original Alcoa wheels used on the OBS, that is a trailer wheel.

Yes they are

20200121_181337.jpg

Did you put brakes on it? How?

This has been on my radar for a long time, and I've got a stash of 10.25s

My thinking was a crawler style hydraulic disc swap and a etrailer electro over hydro module

I'm curious what you did
I don't think you're gaining anything with that style disc brake swap. Probably loosing braking power really.

I don't think you're gaining anything with that style disc brake swap. Probably loosing braking power really.

I don't disagree on braking power, maybe equal, maybe the disc gets an edge on brake fade, dunno

I was looking at it strictly from a maintenance standpoint, less failure points, easier to repair, also IIRC that era had to have the hub removed to pull the drum, it's been a while....

Also considering a goofy Chevy van d70 variant with dual piston calipers, i have one, maybe 2 already, that variant has zero support for posi and gears, but common ends, so a good choice IMO

But, I remember action mentioning how that sterling had exactly 3.5" tubes, making them easy to sleeve

So many fucking variables:homer:

I was looking at it strictly from a maintenance standpoint, less failure points, easier to repair, also IIRC that era had to have the hub removed to pull the drum, it's been a while....
Drums are way more reliable than discs. They just suck way more to service.

My 10.25 drums slide off, front rotors don't :homer:

Although mine is the last year of 10.25, so I'm not sure if they slide off in 84 or whenever they started.

My 5th wheel has disc brakes with a similar actuator posted above. The disc brake setup is alright, wouldn't be my first choice but that's what it came with so whatever.
IMG_20210531_121243824.jpg

I used the factory drums. Drums stop better than disks. They just don't dissipate heat as well. I didn't even do a brake job.

If you really want disks. Just buy superduty axles and reuse the metric wheels.

IMG_20210531_140449.jpg

Tweaker load, packed full of iron and steel. :laughing:

Half way through loading I was having 2nd thoughts about using the little 6k trailer. Turns out it was 5800 on the trailer tires. :laughing:

oh, how far the suzuki escudo pikes peak edition has fallen
nowadays it is cambered out and selling itself for scrap money

IMG_20210531_140449.jpg

Tweaker load, packed full of iron and steel. :laughing:

Half way through loading I was having 2nd thoughts about using the little 6k trailer. Turns out it was 5800 on the trailer tires. :laughing:
You're going to fit in well in Bonners.:flipoff2:
How many more trips do you have to make?

How about those trailer axles you built from sterlings? Was that here, or pirate?
I don't know, dude. What's it matter? It's probably over there. It's not rocket surgery. You slide the axle tubes into some 4" squate tube and then hook up a hydraulic actuator to the stock brakes. Easy peasy.

oh, how far the suzuki escudo pikes peak edition has fallen
nowadays it is cambered out and selling itself for scrap money
Yeaaaah, so I wanted the rear diff (stock 4.88s, upgrade for the Sami) housing is bigger but spline is the same. Was trying to make a hybrid with a Sami rear, didn't feel like pulling the axle apart with stupid press in wheel bearings, also wanted to keep it a roller. 9" cut off wheel right through tube and axle shaft :laughing:

I welded scrap between the short piece of axle and frame, but I was too lazy to reconnect them side to side. Held for a bit, but eventually they got Hella flush, still was better than just dragging frame.
You're going to fit in well in Bonners.:flipoff2:
How many more trips do you have to make?
Hopefully :laughing: it's pretty bad to collect 5k lbs worth of scrap in like a year, I actually try to keep up on it so it doesn't pile up too bad. I was also hanging onto some "low value, but hard to find" suzuki parts that weren't getting brought up.

Plan is to male the last trip at the end of the week. Father in law pulling 24' enclosed with house and garage valuables, me pulling 14' dump trailer with side shit crawler project and all the good steel I didn't toss, and wife pulling above trailer with our 96 4runner.

Hope yall don't mind a bit of a pic dump. My 05+ super duty axle swapped (man I need to finish my build thread..) OBS. 44' enclosed, 36' flatbed crawler hauler set-up (wayyyy too tall, but hauled it ~4500 miles from OH to KOH, glamis then home), 28' Featherlite with a R8 GT3, and a couple pics hauling the slide-in on a OH->CO trip back in December.
Screenshot_20210601-012307_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-012424_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-012642_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-012512_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-012549_Gallery.jpg

sidewall strength for rocky dirt roads, they last a lot longer, and get a lot less flat tires

trailer sees 12k and lots of bottoming out due to rough dirt roads which is probably why the axle tube broke at the u bolt :laughing:
I was going to say.. 6 lug axles.. yeah..

10k 6 lug trailer is better than a 7k 5 lug trailer most people get :flipoff2:

5 lug axle to haul a miata is bettee than 6 lug to haul a skidsteer

you reckless maniac, should be ashamed of yourself :flipoff2:

(wonders if a 14k trailer could carry his 15k forklift)

5 lug axle to haul a miata is bettee than 6 lug to haul a skidsteer

you reckless maniac, should be ashamed of yourself :flipoff2:

(wonders if a 14k trailer could carry his 15k forklift)
skidsteer is 7650 pounds, exactly the same as the weight capacity of the trailer.the skidsteer isnt the problem, its all the other crap thrown on it and the fact the trailer spends its life on rough dirt roads. it barely sees pavement anymore :laughing:

i bought it to haul my buggy which it was perfect for :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh