What's new

Picked up a shitbox!

Ok, so my brakes are shit once again.... This seems to be an annual problem apparently. I am prepared to do what ever it takes to fix this problem and make it go away once and for all. Over the weekend, I played with the jeep a little bit and I came to the conclusion that the brakes are too soft, so I bled the brakes again and my buddy and I came to the conclusion that the mc is not operating properly. I almost bought a new mc, but then I was thinking what is better. I found the willwood CJ mastercylinder and 9" brake boost kit for $600 I just purchased hoping that puts an ed

I have new calipers front and rear, new pads front and rear, new flexible lines to the calipers front and rear. New fluid through the entire system. There is no reason for not having good brakes other than a bad mc....

Of all the things going into a build, I fucking hate brakes....

I got the willwood setup yesterday. My kids were hanging out in the shop with me while I was putting the booster on, so my 8 year old daughter helped tighten bolts on the fire wall bracket. Ran out of time getting it setup, but hoping this weekend I'll get it done. I'm supposed to have oral surgery this afternoon, so hoping I will feel good enough to get it done this weekend, cuz I am running out of time before our first trip next weekend.

PS- I know the booster is on sideways, it was all loose with no nuts on yet.

received_928107862186693.jpeg

Learned a VERY valuable lesson over the weekend. Dont push the brake pedal until you have fluid in the master cylinder....! I had the master cylinder installed, and my 8 year old was sitting in the jeep and she pushed the brake pedal. I didn't think anything of it, and Saturday after spending hours and hours bleeding the brakes we were still getting air in the lines. I called a buddy and that was the first thing he asked, I said yes, he said "your fucked". Turned out he was right. $300 at Summit later on Sunday, and I had the brakes working (thank the lord there is a summit 1.25 hours from my house). The jeep is ready to play! My wife painted our "family slogan" on the jeep, Raptor- it is the first letter of each of our names: Rusty Ashley Presley Toby Olivia Renley... It's cheesey, but it's a cool word and we love the jurassic park movies so it fits us dorks.

All that is left before our trip this weekend is clean up some wiring under the hood, check fluids, maybe go ahead and do an oil change and then load it up and go play.

Lastly, it's not happening right now, but I will be moving the sway bar to the back of the jeep eventually. I hate how the body follows the front axle so favorably. I feel it would be more balanced in the rear since all the weight is up front. That is the way I had my last rock crawler, EI the last pic I am posting in this post.

226246.jpg
226244.jpg
226241.jpg

so what happened to master? no fluid = ruined seals? air?
Ya, it was bone dry when my daughter pushed the brake pedal. I genuinely didn't think it would hurt, but as it turns out it supposedly broke a seal on the plunger. Every time we would depress the pedal it would push air bubbles into the system.

List of events during my master cylinder shit show-
  1. Installed booster and m/c.
  2. daughter pushed pedal while playing in jeep.
  3. setup tubes to bleed the m/c before hooking up to the brake line system.
  4. Kept getting bubbles, but I convinced my self that it was aeration from the fluid circulating around in the reservoir :homer:.
  5. Hooked up lines with dumb hope.
  6. bled the lines for about 4 hours, running dot 4 through it, roughly 7 quarts.
  7. Still had no pedal pressure, was still getting air at all 4 calipers.
  8. Called a buddy who is a badass mechanic, he asked if the m/c was pressed before I filled it.
  9. I said yes
  10. He said I'm fucked.
  11. I went to summit bought a new willwood m/c
  12. Bench bled it before installing and achieved no bubbles.
  13. Installed, bled brakes and drove the jeep around....
  14. Post on web to admit failure... lol :lmao:

I can't see how you'd have fucked it in any way that taking it apart, getting it clean and dry (and fixing any rubber stuff potentially damaged from over-travel) and then starting again wouldn't have fixed. :confused:

I can't see how you'd have fucked it in any way that taking it apart, getting it clean and dry (and fixing any rubber stuff potentially damaged from over-travel) and then starting again wouldn't have fixed. :confused:
In honesty, I was un-aware that the willwood m/c was re-buildable. Just googled it and it looks like they are pretty simple to rebuild and the guts are only $28 from summit..... In honesty, it's ok at this point, I'll just rebuild that one and install it on one of my other CJ jeeps.

Ya, it was bone dry when my daughter pushed the brake pedal. I genuinely didn't think it would hurt, but as it turns out it supposedly broke a seal on the plunger. Every time we would depress the pedal it would push air bubbles into the system.

List of events during my master cylinder shit show-
  1. Installed booster and m/c.
  2. daughter pushed pedal while playing in jeep.
  3. setup tubes to bleed the m/c before hooking up to the brake line system.
  4. Kept getting bubbles, but I convinced my self that it was aeration from the fluid circulating around in the reservoir :homer:.
  5. Hooked up lines with dumb hope.
  6. bled the lines for about 4 hours, running dot 4 through it, roughly 7 quarts.
  7. Still had no pedal pressure, was still getting air at all 4 calipers.
  8. Called a buddy who is a badass mechanic, he asked if the m/c was pressed before I filled it.
  9. I said yes
  10. He said I'm fucked.
  11. I went to summit bought a new willwood m/c
  12. Bench bled it before installing and achieved no bubbles.
  13. Installed, bled brakes and drove the jeep around....
  14. Post on web to admit failure... lol :lmao:
wow i would never even considered that a issue... crazy

Took the jeep on it's first trip as the latest build and man this thing is solid. I am very happy with the overall build and capabilities of this jeep. The 43" mickey stickies bite into everything. The gearing was perfect. Only issue was a few bolts that came loose and my fuel pickup tube came loose inside the fuel tank. Other than that the jeep was a beast and I could literally just line up with something, put it in 1st low and let it cRaWl up.

Only time I got hung up all weekend, was on houston creek trail exit taking the hard line, I got bellied pretty bad. Driver rear and passenger front were both not touching the ground at this point. I posted pics and vids in the gen4x4 trails & trips report.
429963068_1399848283973582_186961807823254262_n.jpg

Top Back Refresh