What's new

Patey's Scrappy

Totally. That said, there seems like a few spots (oil cooler plenum for example) where the carbon appears to be touching the airframe and it's not isolated for corrosion like the fuselage fastener tabs.

Perhaps they're not touching, or he just neglected to mention it (he admitted he does that).

Regardless, his work is just awesome to watch.

Maybe the sealer he is using on the plenum will act as a means of isolating the carbon fiber from the frame, like you say I can't see him neglecting it.

this is like his 6th plane build or something like that, so I imagine there aren't many details overlooked.

I love how he mills shit to shave weight, then adds a needless screen in the headrest. Regardless, fab skills on another level.

How many parents these days have screens on the back of the front seat so their crumbcruncher won't whine "Are we there yet!"?

How many parents these days have screens on the back of the front seat so their crumbcruncher won't whine "Are we there yet!"?

I think he said (or at least implied) that it was mainly for his wife since she's a pilot herself... happy wife and all that. Given how hot she is and how cool she is about him being gone all the time, I'd do the same.

I think he said (or at least implied) that it was mainly for his wife since she's a pilot herself... happy wife and all that. Given how hot she is and how cool she is about him being gone all the time, I'd do the same.

He said it's for him while his wife flys

Having dealt with garmin’s aviation side extensively, I’d bet a 0% discount.

Lol!! "You can talk about our products, in return we will not sue you into oblivion for not asking first, that's better than any discount!"

Chute test was cool, just wish he woulda showed the aftermath of the test to the finished surfaces of the fuselage. I know he put blue tape over everything g then bubble wrapped, but curious if there were any burn marks or stress cracks in the carbon fiber in/around the chute/rocket compartment.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll show/discuss that in a future video.

Damn does she look GOOD for having 4 kids!

I'll definitely be tuning in to watch her build her own plane! :smokin:

So I watched the engine one, what so special about this engine? It says race but 13L seems huge and the power seems low at 700hp? I don't know zip about plane engine but he didn't cover anything on the engine.

Also don't get the engine mount, I guess it's normal but seem like a crap load of weigh handing out front just off the few bolts. His mounts were interesting but not sure I agree with his logic on them, I think it will work fine, just seems like there is a better way.

I seem to remember he covered some of the engine details in one of the earlier scrappy videos. Not in great detail, but more than he did on this recent video.

So I watched the engine one, what so special about this engine? It says race but 13L seems huge and the power seems low at 700hp? I don't know zip about plane engine but he didn't cover anything on the engine.

Also don't get the engine mount, I guess it's normal but seem like a crap load of weigh handing out front just off the few bolts. His mounts were interesting but not sure I agree with his logic on them, I think it will work fine, just seems like there is a better way.

A “normal” modern supercub has 180hp. Which is 90hp more than the original. That motor might weigh 3x what the “normal” engines weigh. The 4 Engine mounts arranged that way are pretty standard. His cradle is a little a little overkill, but that describes the rest of the build.

This motor is a monster for an air-cooled aviation engine.

A “normal” modern supercub has 180hp. Which is 90hp more than the original. That motor might weigh 3x what the “normal” engines weigh. The 4 Engine mounts arranged that way are pretty standard. His cradle is a little a little overkill, but that describes the rest of the build.

This motor is a monster for an air-cooled aviation engine.

Air cooled, well duh that makes more sense.

I'm sure the cradle is good just his way of angling the mounts, to lock the bolts in, etc.

Air cooled, well duh that makes more sense.

I'm sure the cradle is good just his way of angling the mounts, to lock the bolts in, etc.

You also have to keep in mind that these engines were designed in the 50's/60's if not even before that. They were designed to be ultra reliable and the FAA has a super lock down on making any changes. All of the internal parts are way over kill for the power they make by modern standards. If they were designed today, the power per cubic inch would be higher.

These engines only spin 3000(ish) RPM, they are limited by propeller tip speed. Most dyno sheets for a 700hp car engine don't start until around 3000 RPM.

You also have to keep in mind that these engines were designed in the 50's/60's if not even before that. They were designed to be ultra reliable and the FAA has a super lock down on making any changes. All of the internal parts are way over kill for the power they make by modern standards. If they were designed today, the power per cubic inch would be higher.

These engines only spin 3000(ish) RPM, they are limited by propeller tip speed. Most dyno sheets for a 700hp car engine don't start until around 3000 RPM.

Cool, didn't know or think about those aspects.

Youtube thinks I want to be a bush pilot and live out of a Bronco now. :homer:

Watched some of his Draco episodes and I think the algorithm got me.

Something else on the engine—airplane engines are like marine engines—designed for continuous load. This one might not be exactly the same way, since it’s a custom one. But if you see a 300hp off the shelf aircraft engine, it’s typically designed for that power level for the roughly 2,000 hours between overhaul.

Top Back Refresh