What's new

OTR O/Os - trucks?

if you sleep in a day cab, and are more than 100 air miles from your home, DOT will ticket your ass, they want receipts on overnight hauls, meal tickets will work as long as you say you stayed with family or something. Chp doesn’t really care, but when you have a BIT inspection they will look at it.
Rules have changed. First, it's now 150 air miles. Second, you no longer have to log sleeper, just 10 hours off duty. That's how the guys in pickups are able to sleep in their back seats legally.

only 7 trucks 2015+ with 350k or less miles. How do I view ended auctions? Cant seem to locate it... thanks...

I read into this, and it seems DOT changed wording, so you dont NEED a bunker or hotel receipts. There are a few threads on thetruckerreport. I looked up daycab for otr, and some guys do it. Apparently that law change killed all thr businesses offering sleeper conversions for pickup hotshotters.
Interesting, we just had a BIT inspection a few weeks ago, and had to show my out of town logs, which I always keep correct. But anyhow I’m not sleeping in a damn day cab, company pays for all lodging….:flipoff2:

Interesting, we just had a BIT inspection a few weeks ago, and had to show my out of town logs, which I always keep correct. But anyhow I’m not sleeping in a damn day cab, company pays for all lodging….:flipoff2:

Im not sleeping in a daycab either. Maybe a tent under the trailer. I like small uncomfortable places, they make me feel safe :flipoff2:

only 7 trucks 2015+ with 350k or less miles. How do I view ended auctions? Cant seem to locate it... thanks...

I read into this, and it seems DOT changed wording, so you dont NEED a bunker or hotel receipts. There are a few threads on thetruckerreport. I looked up daycab for otr, and some guys do it. Apparently that law change killed all thr businesses offering sleeper conversions for pickup hotshotters.
Click on “detailed search “
Then Click on “sale date “

and you’re likely gonna have to travel several states away to find one

I’d get a sleeper , even if it’s a 36 inch flat top . I drove cabovers and conventionals in the early 90s when a 34-36 inch flat top was pretty standard on every truck

isn’t there a small window of a year or two where you can get a truck that’s legal to use in commiefornia like that’s not equipped with the after treatment that always fails expensively ?

Last edited:
Last edited:

I am still thinking about that Peterbilt from thr neighbor for 50k. Wheelbase isnt big issue as theres a terrific shop nearby thay could shorten it (shortened two trucks for me already). 1600tq not what I want, but for the money it will let me start hauling, and has a small sleeper. Everything else I want is either too much $$$, or sold. No lockers, but who cares if I am on asphalt. I can buy the truck I want later.

I managed to haul 80,000 lb loads for years with a 350 or 400 HP big cam Cummins with less than 1600 tq

mine were mostly cabovers , and a couple of Ford LTL 9000 with the 7 foot long hood.
Bought the Fords because they were different and half price of a W9 or 379

Biggest concern for you is the emissions systems frequent expensive failures

Pete COE cab sizes.
cabsizes_1981-1.jpg

I am still thinking about that Peterbilt from thr neighbor for 50k. Wheelbase isnt big issue as theres a terrific shop nearby thay could shorten it (shortened two trucks for me already). 1600tq not what I want, but for the money it will let me start hauling, and has a small sleeper. Everything else I want is either too much $$$, or sold. No lockers, but who cares if I am on asphalt. I can buy the truck I want later.

You know you can have the engine retuned and set to whatever power you want, right?

If that truck is a Cummins (I can't remember) than you can have it retuned all the way to 600hp with a factory setting. Aftermarket can do more.

My Cat is set at a factory 550/1850 setting.

I managed to haul 80,000 lb loads for years with a 350 or 400 HP big cam Cummins with less than 1600 tq

mine were mostly cabovers , and a couple of Ford LTL 9000 with the 7 foot long hood.
Bought the Fords because they were different and half price of a W9 or 379

Biggest concern for you is the emissions systems frequent expensive failures

he said its deleted

You know you can have the engine retuned and set to whatever power you want, right?

If that truck is a Cummins (I can't remember) than you can have it retuned all the way to 600hp with a factory setting. Aftermarket can do more.

My Cat is set at a factory 550/1850 setting.

he said its turned up to 500, but is still 1600tq. Dont injectors, turbo, pistons, etc. has to change?

in any case, Im pondering it over. The freightliner I linked looks like had an accident, Ryder sent me the maintenance report and it had cab/windshield damage. No pics though. The pete having a sleeper and a fresh rebuild is a decent deal for 50k.

he said its deleted

he said its turned up to 500, but is still 1600tq. Dont injectors, turbo, pistons, etc. has to change?

in any case, Im pondering it over. The freightliner I linked looks like had an accident, Ryder sent me the maintenance report and it had cab/windshield damage. No pics though. The pete having a sleeper and a fresh rebuild is a decent deal for 50k.

Neighbor's truck you are thinking about has the emissions stuff deleted? How much checking does CDOT/ CARB do for the existance of emissions equipment/ operation? I believe the OEM shops won't work on a deleted truck without putting the emissions stuff back on.

If it's deleted and "turned up" I'd do some more digging on who did the delete/ turned it up/ what was exactly done. Joe blow tuning and deletes can cause a huge probelm on a truck designed with all the emissions crap.

Why not do the rental truck thing till one pops up?

Ok so I am approved for a loan, but instead of one 100+k truck I will probably get two 50k trucks.

sleeprs are out, markup too high, and I want to try cali/nv/az runs to start, so a daycab will work. Also have some other plans that I can use it for...

seems like I can get a 2015-2016 freightliner with a 450hp ISX for around 50, which is reasonable. Not the 500+ hp fun truck I wanted, but if it pans out, I can always buy later.

two trucks, because loan has to be over 100k to get the 60 monthes @ 4.6 apr

thanks

You can get a freightliner cascadia daycab stripped model with a dd13 and the Detroit autoshift for about 26 to 30 all day.

Aint gonna go fast but I've grossed 100k in one. It'll still move heavy shit. Might be better for you anyway, interstates are still 55 for semis in cali, aren't they?

Once we had them deleted and rebuilt the cooling system, they seem to run like the Honda civic of the semi world that they are.

You can get a freightliner cascadia daycab stripped model with a dd13 and the Detroit autoshift for about 26 to 30 all day.

Aint gonna go fast but I've grossed 100k in one. It'll still move heavy shit. Might be better for you anyway, interstates are still 55 for semis in cali, aren't they?

Once we had them deleted and rebuilt the cooling system, they seem to run like the Honda civic of the semi world that they are.
The problem with those is the DD13/15 engines are damned near disposable. Not worth an in-frame, and they usually need something done by 750k. They aren't like their predecessor, the 60-series.

The problem with those is the DD13/15 engines are damned near disposable. Not worth an in-frame, and they usually need something done by 750k. They aren't like their predecessor, the 60-series.
The whole truck is like that. The whole of a cascadia is just flimsy flaming shit pile that once it breaks, you just throw it away.

And yeah, right around 700k, the emissions plugged up and the radiators started splitting.

Not saying they are a good engine, but I really don't think any engine can be that is built to current emissions standards.

Easy to maintain and work on, though....so I guess they got that going for them.

To me those look decent. Nice drivetrain. We have put over a million miles on that setup a few times now.

Cascadia not my favorite but in this market that isn't bad.

Doesn't give a rear end ratio but that is a great flat lander truck for dry vans and LTL

Dude, you're looking at a cascadia..

as long as drivetrain is solid. like a 2nd gen ram

throw me vin and i cand find ratio

thanks, they dont matter much to me for the 50k daycab truck. selection is low, so it will be more about condition, service history, etc.

i got service reports from ryder for all 3 of them. Local one i montebello looks ok. says cab repair, wonder if thats bodywork, will have to go look at it.

Id probanly get one manual and one autoshift or ultrashift, whatever they are called.

go manual....DT-12 is a good trans, BUT, when they start having problems, it gets expensive quick

Weve been hit and miss on dt12 clutches for months, if it hasnt had split pin bushings done, it will need them, shift controllers are hit and miss...supply issues like everything else electronic. I can get everything for a manual trans damn near same day.

Weve been hit and miss on dt12 clutches for months, if it hasnt had split pin bushings done, it will need them, shift controllers are hit and miss...supply issues like everything else electronic. I can get everything for a manual trans damn near same day.
The split pin bushings were a problem on the auto 10spd, correct? Is that something that the trans has to be dropped for?

as long as drivetrain is solid. like a 2nd gen ram
Idk, the chassis just seams very flimsy to me...but we load them down with dry grain and run heavy. Our old fleet was old ass volvo vnl's with n14's. We could always limp those trucks in with a paper clip and a ratchet strap holding on the air tanks. These freightliners.....idk. very very chinsey and have left us stranded a few times. Never been an engine or trans issue surprisingly.

Lol. You think you're gonna run regional freight out of state with a daycab?

But it doesn't surprise me you're looking at crapcadias.

Top Back Refresh