What's new

OTR O/Os - trucks?

110” Pete COE’s commonly used 220” WB. I had one. Great riding truck with Pete AirLeaf. That was about the same WB as a 359 with 36” flat top sleeper. Not sure, but regular coe was around 196 wb.
220” wb pulling a 40’ trailer with a 24” kingpin is just an inch short of 55’ lenght.

Whats a regular cab coe, a shorter (96") sleeper or none ?

Ill be pulling a 53ft Utility a 48ft Trailmobile and a 30ft Fruehauf.

The power unit would most likely be titled and registered as a RV/MOTOR HOME so it would run under an exemption as to DOT#'s and Cal T's.

Whats a regular cab coe, a shorter (96") sleeper or none ?

Ill be pulling a 53ft Utility a 48ft Trailmobile and a 30ft Fruehauf.

The power unit would most likely be titled and registered as a RV/MOTOR HOME so it would run under an exemption as to DOT#'s and Cal T's.

Do you know what is involved in converting a cmv to an rv?

Reactions: PAE
Yes Ive already done it was once before, and submitted the affidavit to the state.

Whats your perspective on it?

you still in CA?
Im on California state.

Not to be confused with the corporation known as the state of California.

Making use of the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise"

If you have the $, then do it. I posted recently that I'd like to run a 362 on about 275" wb singled out to yank a big enough trailer around. Back converted to a couch bed, full entertainment system and 60 series Detroit backed by a 13spd to start (my 379 already has one, it needs an 18).

5k more and Im going to refi my truck and find a new outfit to run freight for. Might just go independent with one of several people I know.

If you have the $, then do it. I posted recently that I'd like to run a 362 on about 275" wb singled out to yank a big enough trailer around. Back converted to a couch bed, full entertainment system and 60 series Detroit backed by a 13spd to start (my 379 already has one, it needs an 18).

5k more and Im going to refi my truck and find a new outfit to run freight for. Might just go independent with one of several people I know. This will allow me to control my freight, the rates, everything.

I consider a regular coe as having a 36” sleep. 110” cabs had a 54” bunk. Ats about 16” difference. So, you’re about right on a 96 cab. Never drove any without sleepers, but there was a lot of different specs. Much like today’s pickups. Reg cab, ext cab. You get the drift.

Yep. Maybe the OP will realize the pretty heavy haul truck isn't the cash machine an "areo" truck is, maybe he won't. The guys who have figured out the numbers are laughing all the way to the bank when they see a guy with dollars flying out the stacks of his cool kid truck.
Part of why I always look with disdain at dual oversized exhaust stacks
either have it farted out underneath, or a single 4" pipe straight up from the framerail
less shit to haul around, less shit to fall off
I can get duals on something like a n/a 12v71 where there's actually a valid reason to warrant the shit, but tees are mad stupid when they're feeding two pipes.

Yep, I attempted to drive as half of a team in the mid 1980's hauling doubles and triples where it was legal mostly over 11 western.

The co driver kept me awake when he slept.

Part of why I always look with disdain at dual oversized exhaust stacks
either have it farted out underneath, or a single 4" pipe straight up from the framerail
less shit to haul around, less shit to fall off
I can get duals on something like a n/a 12v71 where there's actually a valid reason to warrant the shit, but tees are mad stupid when they're feeding two pipes.

fuck dumping underneath, breathed enough of that shit, plus it kicks up dust.

gay
single straight pipe, same diameter as the turbo outlet
Just where are you finding N/A 12V71`s?
just an example of something that'd need a crossover pipe to tee both manifolds together
only modern V option I can think of is scanias, and you don't see them over here
ETA: and they're all turbo'd so they're already a neat single exit

gay
single straight pipe, same diameter as the turbo outlet

just an example of something that'd need a crossover pipe to tee both manifolds together
only modern V option I can think of is scanias, and you don't see them over here
ETA: and they're all turbo'd so they're already a neat single exit

Same size as my turbo outlet? Why the fuck I do I want to restrict the piping diameter and hurt power?

Same size as my turbo outlet? Why the fuck I do I want to restrict the piping diameter and hurt power?
Do you not understand what he is saying? The size of the turbo outlet matching the pipe means there is no restriction coming out of the turbo. I commonly build exhaust systems that match the turbo outlet diameter to improve turbo spooling rates, lower egts, and increase power output from the engine.

Do you not understand what he is saying? The size of the turbo outlet matching the pipe means there is no restriction coming out of the turbo. I commonly build exhaust systems that match the turbo outlet diameter to improve turbo spooling rates, lower egts, and increase power output from the engine.
Incorrect, having 20 ft of pipe the same diameter as a turbo outlet will be far more restrictive than the same run that goes up half an inch or an inch (especially if you start throwing in bends).

Aaron Z

Correct IMO, TURBO outlet on my LBZ is about 3 inch pipe size is 4 inch.

Incorrect, having 20 ft of pipe the same diameter as a turbo outlet will be far more restrictive than the same run that goes up half an inch or an inch (especially if you start throwing in bends).
insignificant
you're just trying to justify having a couple trash cans on the back of your cab that slow the exhaust so much that the soot doesn't get blown clear of the pipe

lets use a k31 off a 500hp detroit s60 for an example because its what's on my desk at the moment
77mm turbine exducer, that's pretty much 3"
outlet flange is 5"
how is 5" pipe a restriction when the turbo's already expanding the gasses out to a 3" diameter exducer?
ETA: wastegate flow is insignificant, I think it's like a 1" diameter hole or thereabouts

Nicer truck = better paying loads. I care about looks and what I am driving because if I have to spend 24 hours a day in it for days at a time, it should be something I enjoy. The extra 400 Id spend a fuel a month isnt really shit here. Hell I probably spend 150+/month on just coffee. Also Cali loads pay more.

Its not my only source of income, just something to do for a change here and there, and maybe put a driver with it other times. If I can come out with 10k a month running 4k myself and the other 4-5k someone else, it works for me. Math plays out. 8k miles at $3.5= 28k. 5k to a driver for a part time driver leaves 23k. 5k in fuel, 18k. Truck payment, insurance, misc expenses, and I still have 10+k on the table when I am done. Ive seen enough guys do this and all I think about meanwhile is why am I not at least trying it.

Ok so then get a nicer fuel efficient truck if you think that's the case. Pretty sure a broker isn't going to pull up a picture of your truck and go nope his truck isn't worthy of my load, just care if you are California legal. The broker will remember if you got the shit done on time with no BS or complaints from the shipper/ receiver.

Why not try to be as profitable as possible? Your math works out now in good times. What happens when rates drop down $1 a mile and that $10k goes to $2k? Throw in $1 more a gallon fuel and 1 flat tire on the road and you are in negative numbers territory. The higher fuel costs go the less you make with a sub 6mpg truck, buy an 8mpg truck and high fuel prices are your friend. With the current administration I would count on high fuel prices and an economic roller coaster.

Do you all ready have a part time $5k a month driver in mind?

Rates will never drop to 1$. It wont happen, not in CA. Nothing will move, nobody will do it. People will sell their trucks and get into another line of business and load prices will go up again due to shortage of trucks/drivers.

Yes I have a couple guys who I would trust 100% with a truck.

Rates will never drop to 1$. It wont happen, not in CA. Nothing will move, nobody will do it. People will sell their trucks and get into another line of business and load prices will go up again due to shortage of trucks/drivers.

There is always someone willing to move freight for shit rates and undercut everyone else just to get the work.
If you had any actual trucking experience, you'd know this.

$1/mile isn't likely anytime soon, I'll give you that. But fleets aren't going to park 1000 trucks, O/Os will still have payments to make, drivers still have bills to pay. The industry will keep moving no matter how low the rates get. Handful of drivers will hang up the keys, but it won't be enough to make any noticeable impact.

So I am going to get shit for this, but theres not really any choices for trucks right now.. going to look for a daycab.. motel it, sleeping bag it, idunno. No sleepers avail, and Im not paying 3x price. Will try to stay on the western part of the country anyway.

So yeah.

So I am going to get shit for this, but theres not really any choices for trucks right now.. going to look for a daycab.. motel it, sleeping bag it, idunno. No sleepers avail, and Im not paying 3x price. Will try to stay on the western part of the country anyway.

So yeah.

Plenty at the auctions
You can also look at recent sold rigs to see what the values currently are.

If you are going to run in commiefornia your choices are limited to the trouble prone emissions engines

that’s the only California zip code I know , it’s Probabaly close to you right ?

So yeah.
if you sleep in a day cab, and are more than 100 air miles from your home, DOT will ticket your ass, they want receipts on overnight hauls, meal tickets will work as long as you say you stayed with family or something. Chp doesn’t really care, but when you have a BIT inspection they will look at it.

Plenty at the auctions
You can also look at recent sold rigs to see what the values currently are.

If you are going to run in commiefornia your choices are limited to the trouble prone emissions engines

that’s the only California zip code I know , it’s Probabaly close to you right ?

only 7 trucks 2015+ with 350k or less miles. How do I view ended auctions? Cant seem to locate it... thanks...

if you sleep in a day cab, and are more than 100 air miles from your home, DOT will ticket your ass, they want receipts on overnight hauls, meal tickets will work as long as you say you stayed with family or something. Chp doesn’t really care, but when you have a BIT inspection they will look at it.

I read into this, and it seems DOT changed wording, so you dont NEED a bunker or hotel receipts. There are a few threads on thetruckerreport. I looked up daycab for otr, and some guys do it. Apparently that law change killed all thr businesses offering sleeper conversions for pickup hotshotters.

Top Back Refresh