What's new

Opinions on this skidsteer?

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
So first off it's not one of those tractors with the big grippy tires in the back and the little ones up front....
:flipoff2: arti5an

I'm emailing back and forth trying to work out a deal on this machine. I'm trying to get it for 40 all said and done delivered with the bucket and an additional set of 96" pallet forks on a wide frame.

I'm looking at this particular one because it is pre emissions and has relatively low hours. I dont plan on probably ever putting more then an additional 2k on it and hopefully it would last me 20-30 years.

YotaAtieToo has been trying to talk me out of this one for a while do to its size. It's over 7' wide so it wont fit on a regular car trailer and weighs about 13000lbs (crazy to me it weighs close to what that wheel loader in the other thread does).. But the size is one of the selling points to me. I'll never wish I had bought a bigger machine and with a tip over weight at close to 10klbs i can move anything i currently own.

What i keep going back to in my head is the fact that for 40k i could get an entry level tracked catapiller brand new.... but i have no idea how all the new fancy electronic and smog gizmos would be 10,20, or 30 years from now

So how bad of an idea is it? This would be the most expensive thing I've ever purchased

https://www.bestusedbobcat.com/inven...d=3735525&lo=4

Screenshot_20200901-012806_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fuck foot controls, pilot is the only way to go.

Fuck foot controls, pilot is the only way to go.

I ASSumed it has the 2 joystick thingys and foot controls? That's what a similar one I rented had.

If I dont know what I'm doing (Probably 100hrs total on one) does it matter?

edit:
Like this

Screenshot_20200901-023002_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
It is all in preference, I run both styles and can’t stand foot controls.
As far as size goes, that is perfect

I like foot controls. Never ran anything else but I liked the pedals fine enough

If it's a machine you own it doesn't matter what the controls are, you'll get used to it.

It sure is nice to have a turnkey machine that rarely needs work but having 40k tied up in something that isn't making money by the boat load several times a week would give me pause. A 30+yo wheel loader in the 15k weight and $10k money ballpark (literally the one TRINDU is looking at in the other thread) will do everything this machine does and be all around easier to service. The catch is that it'll be 30+yo and need more service. Also, since this machine is going to be your de-facto fork lift and crane a wheel loader might be a little better since it'll get you another couple feet of lift.

Last edited:
If it's a machine you own it doesn't matter what the controls are, you'll get used to it.

Kinda what I figure but I just looked them up. I grew up with my dad renting the older 773s with the 2 levers for the steering and foot controls for the bucket. More recently I rented a tracked machine with only the joysticks and although it was more smooth I didn't feel like I was as quick with it.

Kinda what I figure but I just looked them up. I grew up with my dad renting the older 773s with the 2 levers for the steering and foot controls for the bucket. More recently I rented a tracked machine with only the joysticks and although it was more smooth I didn't feel like I was as quick with it.

Why the fuck are you always up this early. It's like 3:30am in Commiefornia. Also see my edit to the prior post.

Im sure its a nice machine. Seems overkill and expensive for a non-revenue machine.

I been using a t300(not sure how big that is, seems medium size) around my yard with foot controls and it works pretty well. Tracked machines are the shit.I'm not sure how big an 870 is, but the 300 can lift about 3k. Which is all I ever need, plus it fits everywhere in my yard. 40k is a lot for a yard machine though.

It's great, I would love to have it. X3 on thinking 40k is too much to have tied up in it if it isn't earning money. How well do they hold their value? Could you sell it 4-5 years from now for 30-35? If so I would be more likely to buy it. If it's going to be worth 20-25 in 4-5 years I wouldn't do it unless you have 20-30k in work planned for it to handle for you.

Why the fuck are you always up this early. It's like 3:30am in Commiefornia. Also see my edit to the prior post.

I work from 10 at night till 8 in the morning and sleep from about 10am till 4 or 5 pm.

As far as your previous edit my whole property is sandy hillside. My next door neighbor had a giant wheel loader and a john deer 510? He said they are both to heavy to use in the summer months when everything dries out and turns to a dust bowl. Also because of the slope the 50% of my work will be 90% to the slope.... I'm thinking a wheel loader would be sketchy at best for a long term machine.

And I agree 40k is a lot of money but the only other machines that excite me would be a new or newer 60ish hp tractor with a loader and scraper. It might be a little more universal but wont have the power

Its a nice machine, I prefer Cat and would only buy one with pilot controls but that is my preference. Tracks don't like pavement, rocks, or snow/ice and cost quite a bit more to replace vs a tire machine. I am not a fan of the rigid under carriage. Cat has both a rigid and a float from ASV. The floatation is much more comfortable to run and does not buck like the rigid one does. The track style lift way more than a comparable wheel machine and are much more stable on the slopes. I had a 2008 Cat 287C and it was a really nice machine with A/C. Good luck with your search.

I would look for a wheeled machine in the $15k range and run OTT if you feel the need for tracks. Rubber track machines are a big repair/maintenance bill waiting to happen AND you pay a big premium when you purchase one.

No longer a bobcat fan after getting my Deere.

if everything is serviced, I’d ask for documentation of replacing all fluids, including the hydraulic fan (if that’s still a thing) and brand new tracks. That’s a huge machine - is suspect it’s be Len used hard.

im very happy with my 317g. Only two things I really wish it had is power attach and self leveling...

Where’s it at in PA? I might be able to put eyes on it for you if you’d like

Also I've been watching this company's inventory every couple days because the turn over a lot of machines fast for what seems like great deals. Theve had this one for at least 4-6 months so I still think there is room for a little more negotiation. I've already seen them drop the price 3k.

At the same time it apears to be about the best deal in the country and I'm sure they know that.

20200901_051357.jpg

Last edited:
Nice machine, but it's not making you money. Pass.

Aren't you wanting to move your dirt pile? Wheel loader all day.

I would look at a newer asv there are some 80hp machines similar hours for 22kish. I can do a lot with a extra 18k in my pocket. I love my pt30. Tiny as hell but super handy.

Fwiw every bobcat skidsteer I have ever used was a pos. I would never buy one.

Last edited:
I would look for a wheeled machine in the $15k range and run OTT if you feel the need for tracks. Rubber track machines are a big repair/maintenance bill waiting to happen AND you pay a big premium when you purchase one.

Not compleatly against this idea but I haven't ever operated a wheel machine that will go up some of the slopes I'd like to be able and I am thinking the tracked machines seem to have a much longer wheelbase/footprint.

What are the huge repair Bill's waiting to happen? If the undercarriage appears good when I buy it, they dont just completely fail at once do they? Do they have a sudden failure part a wheeled machine doesn't or is it just more wear items?

Nice machine, but it's not making you money. Pass.

Aren't you wanting to move your dirt pile? Wheel loader all day.

I may bug you in a week or 2. I have no problem compensating you for your time. Are you familiar with equiptment at all?
I'm thinking if I counter back that I want a free set of whatever forks they have they will tell me to pound sand.... and then beg me to buy it a week later, but who knows

Not compleatly against this idea but I haven't ever operated a wheel machine that will go up some of the slopes I'd like to be able and I am thinking the tracked machines seem to have a much longer wheelbase/footprint.

What are the huge repair Bill's waiting to happen? If the undercarriage appears good when I buy it, they dont just completely fail at once do they? Do they have a sudden failure part a wheeled machine doesn't or is it just more wear items?

What happens is you’ll randomly lose a idler her and there. Big cost is when the tracks die and then you need to buy sprockets and then while they are off you’ll find a few more rollers that are starting to go bad. After the challenge you had replacing the one that went bad earlier in the year you’ll end up replacing a bunch.

I know it's apples and oranges...

My Bobcat 773 sucked on slopes. The rear engine design is great for ballast, but sucks when you have to go up a slope.
My Deere 317 is a completely different story. "Mid-engine" design, much more stable. Seems easier to work on as well, oddly.

That's all I got...

Last edited:

Everyone says the same line. Import rubber tracks are dirt cheap, and so are rollers and sprockets. It's not like a steel undercarriage.

40k would buy an excavator and dump truck or wheel loader and move that hill much faster.

Yes and no.

People like to post sky is falling on any thread. (Any ford 6.0 thread) There are loads of bearings in those wheels. They can and will fail over raw time as well as use. IIRC, they were about $20 each on my machine. Replacing a wheel here or there not a problem, a total overhaul adds up fast though. The tracks and drives are expensive, but they should last a very long time in your case.

Simply put, every moving part in those tracks require some maintenance. On the other hand, tires require only the obvious maintenance.

Definitely don't consider a wheeled machine if you live in a sand pit. I love in a sand pit, and the tractor sucks donkey dick in it. Skid steer with tracks floats over all of it with ease.

Been Lurking for a while, but thought i would chime in on this thread. I work for United Rentals in SC and we have an annual "Yard Sale" in November. This year it is November 19th. I have no idea what the list will look like in your area, but it might be worth it to give the local store a shout and get some info. I know for a fact, that they will do everything to sell you a machine on that day. Call them up and get a sales reps info and tell them what you are looking for. Have options, realistic on what you are looking to spend on the low side, brand, etc. There is plenty of time before the sale and they usually run trucks between a lot of branches to get what you are looking for into your area.

Yes and no.

People like to post sky is falling on any thread. (Any ford 6.0 thread) There are loads of bearings in those wheels. They can and will fail over raw time as well as use. IIRC, they were about $20 each on my machine. Replacing a wheel here or there not a problem, a total overhaul adds up fast though. The tracks and drives are expensive, but they should last a very long time in your case.

Simply put, every moving part in those tracks require some maintenance. On the other hand, tires require only the obvious maintenance.

I think you left off a zero. They are more like $200 each

Top Back Refresh