What's new

Opinions on diesel gladiator build

My buddy had one on 40's, Dynatracs etc. It burned to the ground while cruising down the highway in VA Beach. So that's my take...

Front axle disconnect... two piece long side shafts because like the YJs horrible axles they get 1 mpg better when the entire front end isn't rotating since the engineers forgot what a fucking lockable hub is.
It’s also embarrassing to see how thin these front axles are. Ordered a UD60 last night that seemed to be a ridiculous deal. Hopefully I buy a gladiator :lmao:

Front axle disconnect... two piece long side shafts because like the YJs horrible axles they get 1 mpg better when the entire front end isn't rotating since the engineers forgot what a fucking lockable hub is.

The FAD casting is a weak point.

Breaks-lightened.jpg

The JL/JT axles are leaps and bounds better than the JK axles they replaced.

Good choice on the UD60.
They really are. Just blows they did that FAD, it's basically the only down side to the new axles.

Kinda interested to see how the new rear FF 44 does

The JL/JT axles are leaps and bounds better than the JK axles they replaced.

Good choice on the UD60.
Ud60 is on its way.
5.38 with and e-locker. Everything minus steering.
$7507 delivered to my door.

What’s your input on the rear? Might sound dumb, but I was gonna throw some 5 lug to 8 lug adapters on the back and see how long it survives.

Ud60 is on its way.
5.38 with and e-locker. Everything minus steering.
$7507 delivered to my door.

What’s your input on the rear? Might sound dumb, but I was gonna throw some 5 lug to 8 lug adapters on the back and see how long it survives.

It'll hold until it doesn't anymore... 🤣

Seriously though, they've been holding up decently.

Somewhere on the old board I posted a vid of Crawler Concepts Shad in his JL on 40s hopping up Rocker Knocker (Moab). It was absolutely ridiculous and surprising that rear axle didn't go bang. Can't seem to find it now.

IMG_9308.jpeg

This will be somewhat close to the final product. Maybe an inch or so less.
Yes, it’s tall, I don’t care, it’ll keep me from dragging over everything. I’m not a fan of the low riding rigs anyhow.

I'm not a fan of 40s on a daily rig. I can spend that on a trail tire but not something that's seeing that much street usage. I also like how the 35/36 fit and sit.

I'm not a fan of 40s on a daily rig. I can spend that on a trail tire but not something that's seeing that much street usage. I also like how the 35/36 fit and sit.
Not really a daily driver. Just a toy that we can actually enjoy on a regular basis. I want something My wife and daughter can also cruise around and also enjoy.

IMG_9308.jpeg

This will be somewhat close to the final product. Maybe an inch or so less.
Yes, it’s tall, I don’t care, it’ll keep me from dragging over everything. I’m not a fan of the low riding rigs anyhow.
Unless your running nothing but 2 or 3 rated trails you're still gonna drag. Do not get rid of bed rails unless your aftermarket bumper has replacement ones and do not wheel without real sliders. I'd also say don't use it without proper skidplate system under it too.

Unless your running nothing but 2 or 3 rated trails you're still gonna drag. Do not get rid of bed rails unless your aftermarket bumper has replacement ones and do not wheel without real sliders. I'd also say don't use it without proper skidplate system under it too.
The bed rails will stay until the bed gets bobbed.
I’ll for sure be putting skids underneath.

IMG_9314.jpeg

Ended up just hooking up the trailer and shooting down to Valencia to grab it. Very happy with the purchase.

I was initially gonna buy a brand new base model with cloth interior, manual windows and door locks, at the Elk Grove dodge dealer. After sitting in this, I’m very happy I didn’t. For a Jeep, it’s pretty damn nice and comfortable.

So onto the build, the ud60 is in the shop and I’m looking at rear end options before I just slap 8 lug adapters on the 44.

Does anyone have info on a successful 14 bolt Or sterling swap? I see the brackets are available, but I can’t find tone ring and sensor options.

I have searched quite a bit and I’m not seeing anything.

Pretty sure they're the same count as JKs, which is 52.

Artec definitely has 52 tooth rings for 14Bs and Sterlings.

May also reach out to fusion as I believe they fit thier assemblies with thier own tone rings. May be able to get a definite answer from them.

Top Back Refresh