What's new

Opinions on diesel gladiator build

Rockbuggy84

Member Number
My current rig is a very well dialed 2007 jk. 1 tons, atlas, 40’s, etc. Unfortunately, it’s a manual and I’m over it and an auto swap isn’t happening.
Broke my neck years ago and I’m now dealing with the consequences.

The jk will cruise down the highway perfect (other than a significant power shortfall in the hills) and easily concur some hard trails and drive home. It’s now at the point of 1 or 2 trailered trips to the rubicon per year if I’m lucky. The entire trip, I’m frustrated with the manual so it gets thrown back into the corner of the shop.

I’m contemplating selling the jk and moving to a gladiator with the eco diesel.
My plans would be dynatrac or similar 1 tons, 40” tires and 3-5” of lift.

I want the eco diesel so I can actually cruise through the mountains with ease and actually be able to enjoy driving it. I want something the wife and my daughter can get in and enjoy also, not just another shop ornament.

I’m not into hardcore wheeling anymore. The occasional rubicon trip to the springs and I’m done. I wanna do more trips to ghost towns and shit like that with my family.

I like the idea of the gladiator because of the bed. The jk is too tight and is a clusterfuck packing all our stuff into it.

Does anyone have any insight into problems with the jt? I know about the cp4 pump issue and the recall. Is the repair a legit fix? Any other issues I’m missing?

My brother had one and I loved it.

37s and 20+ mpg. Got hung up on lots of stuff, we skid plated everything and used all of it too. Surprisingly the stock rubicon bed rails held up just fine being drug thru moab and hot springs.

Mother Mopar is doing away with the EcoD next year iirc... too many issues apparently but my brother never had an issue in the 1.5 yrs and 18k miles he had on it since new.

The 8 spd is a game changer. The ecoD JTRs don't even come with 4 series gearing. No need to regear till you go to 40s, which you sound like you're set on. But you won't need to go as low as you're used to.

You will belly out and drag tail way more than you ever have in a gladiator tho.

Last edited:
I know it’s not exactly what your looking for but a dealer in nv has new rubicon gladiators for 39k. Gassed of course but heck of a deal considering.

I have read or heard of heat soak issues with the eco diesel packed in the Jeep engine compartment. I believe it stems from Jeeps water fording design really restricting air flow to the eco diesel.
I want the eco diesel so I can actually cruise through the mountains with ease
I would take what I’m saying with a grain of salt since I have no personal experience but from what I recall, this exact scenario could actually be a problem with heat soak and derating especially once loaded up.

I’d do some research on this before pulling the trigger.

I know it’s not exactly what your looking for but a dealer in nv has new rubicon gladiators for 39k. Gassed of course but heck of a deal considering.
What dealer? For 39, I might give it a go. That’s cheap if true.

I have read or heard of heat soak issues with the eco diesel packed in the Jeep engine compartment. I believe it stems from Jeeps water fording design really restricting air flow to the eco diesel.

I would take what I’m saying with a grain of salt since I have no personal experience but from what I recall, this exact scenario could actually be a problem with heat soak and derating especially once loaded up.

I’d do some research on this before pulling the trigger.
Maybe vent the fender wells?

I’m doing as much research as possible and appreciate all input.

What dealer? For 39, I might give it a go. That’s cheap if true.
I just checked, they had a rebate and a discount before Xmas. Now they have just a discount of 15%. Their inventory is shitty on them now. They’re at lithia Reno Jeep and dodge.

Border patrol does hood vents on the Rubicon and Raptors. You can definitely see the heat leaving.
The new hoods are just like the 10th anniversary ones right. I cut the bottom out of my 10th faux vents easy peasy to make them functional.

On a different note, I’m thinking a non rubicon may be a better direction and would like to hear opinions.

The fact that I’m not gonna be hardcore rock crawling, (other than the occasional rubicon trip) combined with the torque of the diesel and the low gearing from the transmission, the 4 to 1 case will likely hurt me in places like the snow and desert.

I was thinking about resell on the rubicon axles and due to the disconnect, it doesn’t look like it’s much, so that’s kinda a moot point also.

I think you'd be fine without the 4-1 t-case. I wheeled a gas sport on tons and 40s, through rubicon last year and it was just fine. I like low gearing in rig and even without the t-case gears this one worked just fine. It was fully loaded with the whole family in it too. Axles were geared to 5.38, but you'd want to regear anyways for 40s. With the newer 8spd trans you don't really need the t-case gearing anymore. I would expect a diesel with more torque to do even better.

I wouldn't shy away from the gas gladiators either. The newer v6 motors are significantly better than the old v6. While it wasn't a rocket ship, even fully loaded for camping with a family of 4, tons, 40s, all the armor, etc...., the truck did fine in the mountains and on the highway. It did shift a lot, but it was one of the easier driving trips I have done for wheeling. They only real drawback was the 12mpg the truck gets.

I will say, after that trip though, I'm not completely sold on a 4 door pickup anymore. I found it was hard to find space to store little things like my sweatshirt if I wasn't wearing it. With an suv you just throw it in the back. Can't do that in a pickup, and with kids occupy the back seat you can't just throw it back there either. Not being able to lock stuff in the back was also a concern when in town.

On a different note, I’m thinking a non rubicon may be a better direction and would like to hear opinions.

The fact that I’m not gonna be hardcore rock crawling, (other than the occasional rubicon trip) combined with the torque of the diesel and the low gearing from the transmission, the 4 to 1 case will likely hurt me in places like the snow and desert.

I was thinking about resell on the rubicon axles and due to the disconnect, it doesn’t look like it’s much, so that’s kinda a moot point also

There’s still a Mojave available at 39,xxx but it’s a manual. Still a good deal for someone.
That could’ve been what I saw….
Mojave would be cool, it separates your from all the rubicon fan boys and mall traffic.
From what I’ve read the Mojave has thicker front axle tubing, stronger knuckles where the rubicon has aluminum. It’s also a **** hair wider due to different wheels. No front locker though in the Mojave. But with the savings and trade offs. Could be the right one.

If you're going to swap axles and don't want the 4:1 t-case, there's absolutely no reason to get a Rubicon.

They have other non-Rubicon models that have all the creature comforts if you want that stuff.

That said, I have no idea if the diesel is an option for all the JT models.

I did ride in a buddies JT Rubicon. All I can say is the back seat area is exactly the same as my JKU. I thought it might be bigger, but it was the same.

I've wheeled a few different Gladiators and have been very impressed for what they are.

37s minimum due to the belly, 40s are nice on the trail, but then you are dealing with 40s.

This one had UD60s front and rear and a PSC kit to help push those 40s:

Lucky-Tahuya.jpg

Why 40s and tons for ghost towns and the Rubicon ?
Because of deep snow and its size. The departure angle and its length force a big tire and lift to prevent me from dragging everywhere.

It’ll run the rubicon once or twice a year and I don’t wanna drag it through the trail.

I think you'd be fine without the 4-1 t-case. I wheeled a gas sport on tons and 40s, through rubicon last year and it was just fine. I like low gearing in rig and even without the t-case gears this one worked just fine. It was fully loaded with the whole family in it too. Axles were geared to 5.38, but you'd want to regear anyways for 40s. With the newer 8spd trans you don't really need the t-case gearing anymore. I would expect a diesel with more torque to do even better.

I wouldn't shy away from the gas gladiators either. The newer v6 motors are significantly better than the old v6. While it wasn't a rocket ship, even fully loaded for camping with a family of 4, tons, 40s, all the armor, etc...., the truck did fine in the mountains and on the highway. It did shift a lot, but it was one of the easier driving trips I have done for wheeling. They only real drawback was the 12mpg the truck gets.

I will say, after that trip though, I'm not completely sold on a 4 door pickup anymore. I found it was hard to find space to store little things like my sweatshirt if I wasn't wearing it. With an suv you just throw it in the back. Can't do that in a pickup, and with kids occupy the back seat you can't just throw it back there either. Not being able to lock stuff in the back was also a concern when in town.
Going through the hills, were you able to keep up on steep hills without having to floor it? Maybe I’m overthinking it with the diesel?

Why not just go take a gas one for a test drive. That'll let you know whether it will work for your or not.

Good luck in whatever you choose... :beer:

Why not just go take a gas one for a test drive. That'll let you know whether it will work for your or not.

Good luck in whatever you choose... :beer:
I’d need to find a gas gladiator on tons and 40’s near the hills to get an accurate picture of if it’ll work for me.

True... hell I remember in 03 when the Rubicon came out and I said 30k for a jeep... hell no.... then I traded my 5.9 grand for one the next year. :homer:
I paid 16k for my 98 in 01 and was shitting bricks over spending that much on a vehicle.

Was the closest to new vehicle I've ever bought 🤣

Mojave is what I'm aiming for be because of the frame and jnuckles. I like the diesel engine manners but the def tank and small fuel tank suck, and it's not in the Mojave trim. Was hoping for a I6 replacement for the V but that seem slow happening. Maybe a hybrid option with some battery boost. I like the 4 cylinder with battery boost but that seems to have been dropped as well. And the overhang, it is a picup though.

Front axle disconnect... two piece long side shafts because like the YJs horrible axles they get 1 mpg better when the entire front end isn't rotating since the engineers forgot what a fucking lockable hub is.

Top Back Refresh