What's new

Online job interview, tips?

Not sure on the discrimination questions that is an odd one. Maybe how you would recognize it, or how you would handle a possible dis issue, or what you would do with a dis complaint?

The D,I, and E I'd probably go with looking beyond and through cultural norms of qualifications and focus on the individual, their skills, talents, and potential. But I'm not always super great with those types of questions either.

Thanks.

I just received a insider call telling me to prepare for multiple “Discrimination” type questions.... Well fuck, that’s a spin I wasn’t prepared for.

Diversity, Inclusion, and Equality are all key words in the company’s about us page...

Any insight on what type of interview questions pertain to that subject?

Can you think of a time where you disagreed and had a conflict with a coworker? How did you come to a solution?

Really, they want to hear how you talk and what you talk about. What you say, and how you say it. These are especially important in a phone interview as there is no body language or non verbal communication happening.

Thanks.

I just received a insider call telling me to prepare for multiple “Discrimination” type questions.... Well fuck, that’s a spin I wasn’t prepared for.

Diversity, Inclusion, and Equality are all key words in the company’s about us page...

Any insight on what type of interview questions pertain to that subject?

What's your opinion on :mr-t:s?

I would just answer the question as a person of ethnic minority (whites are getting rarer) I think the the Democrats are going to create equilibrium. Obviously don't do that LOL

Last edited:
Likely how would you handle situation where some privileged class felt attacked. According to company policy is the most safe answer as the requirements change so quickly.

So I have found some interesting stuff online so far. This is by far the shortest and easiest answer I have found.

Diversity is the mix and inclusion is getting the mix to work well together.

Im working on how to deal with this without falling into the “ethnic, gender, whatever ” type trap.

Seems these are a new normal. They are called D.E.I questions, as all three, diversity, equality, and inclusion directly tie to each other.

At the very end of the interview, when they ask you if you have any questions, ask this:

"Whether I or someone else gets this job, after a year of working at your company, what would the perfect employee look like? What traits do they have and what will they have accomplished?"

Essentially, you are getting them to describe the perfect employee WHILE THEY ARE LOOKING AT YOU.

Its a subliminal projection trick. While telling you what a perfect employee looks like, while staring at your face, they will project that stuff on to you in their own heads. People make up shit and false assumptions in their heads all the time. They will see you as that person, and then "remember" you as that person when they make the decision on who to hire.

Trust me on this. I formally trained in communications.

as an employer I hope you get censored.

awesome advice

It goes deeper than race, gender, etc.

Ageism.
Introvert v. Extrovert.
Type A v. Type B personality
etc.

It really becomes important when you are team building.

Seems these are a new normal. They are called D.E.I questions, as all three, diversity, equality, and inclusion directly tie to each other.

So whatever happened with this? Get the job? Boats and hoes?

I have an online job interview coming up and curious if the advice from these crazies paid off.

So whatever happened with this? Get the job? Boats and hoes?

I have an online job interview coming up and curious if the advice from these crazies paid off.
Company spent a extra week deciding between me and another candidate.

In the end I didn’t check the lesbian female boxes for HR and was passed up.

The department manager and his boss were both impressed with my presented skills. He spend close to two hours going over my interview with me a few weeks later. He told me that another position will be available by or before February.

Company spent a extra week deciding between me and another candidate.

In the end I didn’t check the lesbian female boxes for HR and was passed up.
Wait you aren't a strong black man? Your avatar is a lie? :flipoff2:

0011FEB2-AF41-44C8-801C-62C0F4116F54.gif

Anyone remember this thread?

It’s been a year since last time and I aced my interview this go around…

What’s a realistic counter offer % do you guys think? I know I have some room to wiggle.

Why percentage? Just curious. Why not counter with whatever your fixed number is and let the cards fall where they will?

I am currently in the same boat as of today. Never had to do this before.

Why percentage? Just curious. Why not counter with whatever your fixed number is and let the cards fall where they will?

I am currently in the same boat as of today. Never had to do this before.
I’ve never had to do this before so I kinda assumed that it would be a % thing. I have a fixed number in mind but kinda wanted to compare that to a %, that is if the % counter offer is really a normal part of this process

Do you know the range they have listed? If not, think about what you do now, what the new job requires and what you are capable of…then price accordingly.

My current job I knew what previous person made, and added from there knowing that I would be so much better. In hindsight I think I gave a number too low :laughing:

In my current position, I was asked what my number was. Usually the first to throw out a number loses, and I was well aware of that. Before going in for the negotiation, I looked up the average salary in my state for the position above the one I was interviewing for, added $12,000, and threw that out as my initial price. I was pleasantly surprised when they immediately accepted that number.

I have a unique set of qualifications for that position, and they had interviewed dozens of people before me, none of which were even close to my level of qualification. I knew this, and I knew they really wanted me, therefore I used this to my advantage.

Figure your worth (Linked in salary, Salary.com, Glass Door, etc).

Then get your three numbers
  • Figure out your walk away number (never tell them this)
  • Figure out your "I'll walk away from current job today" number (High end)
  • Figure out your "This is my dream job and I'm willing to work for a little less than my current salary" number.

Shoot for something between the last two points.

Good luck! Remember that THEY WANT YOU! They have put the effort into WANTING YOU at this point. Don't be a jerk in negotiations, but DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT! Do not get into a position where you walk into a job Day 1 irritated that you didn't ask for more.

Good luck! This is the fun part!

Questions I’d be asking even though you aced it: what happened to the last guy. Either then will do PR damage control or be an open book. Maybe you don’t actually want to work for these schmucks.

Negotiate vacation, HR people get hung up on dollars and cents. Tell them you want 3-4 weeks up front no work for a year and get two weeks crap. If I only have to work 48 weeks out of the year… that’s a pretty good raise.

Questions I’d be asking even though you aced it: what happened to the last guy. Either then will do PR damage control or be an open book. Maybe you don’t actually want to work for these schmucks.

Negotiate vacation, HR people get hung up on dollars and cents. Tell them you want 3-4 weeks up front no work for a year and get two weeks crap. If I only have to work 48 weeks out of the year… that’s a pretty good raise.
That doesn't always work with the vacation thing. I just moved to one of the mega consulting firms this month and they offered 24 days of & 14 holidays of a year ....I mean fuck, I wasn't going to even ask for that many.

They also gave a signing bonus, I didn't expect one
They're starting # was my high end I'll walk away today number (semi wished I'd asked for more just because)

It's not always easy to negotiate if someone wants you as their offer may be really good already

if their offer is not what you want or feel you would be a happy employee with, then ask for what you do want. If it is what you want, take the job and be happy. You are not buying a car and there are good companies that offer what your value is. There are other companies that are garbage and it doesn’t really matter if you get 10% over your wanting salary, you will still be miserable.

It’s been awhile since I have interviewed for a job so of course I’m a bit stressed over that. I have been studying and working on the normal stuff for the past few weeks..,

But it sounds like I have a online interview? WTF??

Tips, tricks, cheats? Who has some real world intel on this?
I did the green screen deal on a flat section of wall in my bedroom with nothing on it. I used a highly stylized photo of some hydraulic cylinders and hoses (hydraulic sales job application).
Everyone on the two panels really thought that was "smart".

Do a dry run of your setup with your wife, brother etc. to get some feedback on audio, color etc.

Given that inflation is at 7.5% I would go at least 8-10% over your prior ask. Easy explanation why

Also if possible see if you can negotiate in a company vehicle. With gas going up that can easily be an $5-10k effective raise

Given that inflation is at 7.5% I would go at least 8-10% over your prior ask. Easy explanation why

Also if possible see if you can negotiate in a company vehicle. With gas going up that can easily be an $5-10k effective raise
Ok.

Definitely pushes me to the upper end of the spectrum but I can also argue that their spectrum hasn’t been adjusted for inflation.

Company vehicle is needed for the job but not stored at home. Two good things are that the storage location is five minutes from my house and that they are talking about letting the vehicles go home due to C19 now.

They have a 24k range (between no experience and position max) and the offer was just above the midway point.

Position also has annual bonus between 8-15% depending.
A few things to consider, based on your skills can you sell them they need to move higher in the range. Based on your length of time in similar roles and experience should you be middle. Have you run compensation comparisons? I’d you need some PM I’ll see what I can get.

Sometimes the bigger question, does that pay make you happy, if this is a step up in pay, or get you a new level of experience then you are good.

If they are set on that comp level, then I’d get something in writing that in 6 months pay will increase to X. Sometimes I can bring someone in at a certain pay to meet budget but then have greater flexibility with later increases.

Top Back Refresh