What's new

New Version of the 4 Link Calculator

Almost through the outputs for the link sizing page. Just got done fixing some of the math for the rod ends. I think I still have a little debugging to do for the factors of safety, but I think the issue is in the force calculations, not the factor of safety calculations.

YeeP Since you asked for the feature, I'll throw this question to you. Regarding the rod ends at the axle's direction, it makes sense that up travel is positive angle at the frame, but the sign at the axle is less straight forward. Currently, it is set up to use angled up as positive. This makes it display as shown below with it not lining up with the frame side. There are 2 other options:
  1. Having both up travels with the signs meaning positive is up travel
  2. Having both up travels on the right with the sign indicating sloping up or down as it currently does
1689473877004.png

I see how this could be confusing. I think that maybe the way that makes sense is the sign of the angle is based on the direction of the control arm connected to it and the direction it travels away from the joint. Viewing a chassis from the side where maybe the axle is fully compressed; the axle side upper would probably have the control arm heading "downward" away from the joint. In this instance a negative value would make sense in my mind.

EDIT: possibly the readme could say something like the angle being in reference to a line parallel to the ground?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I know Im pretty computer retarded but after downloading it and figuring out how to get it open it gives me "View Only" and wont let me input any numbers? :confused:

Edit: It will let you view only in the "free online version" of Excel

Last edited:
good am

is there a worksheet that can be printed and taken out to the shop and write in all the info then go back inside and use the computer to put in all the numbers. i think i can screen shot a few sections and make work. but just asking if that is an option.
thanks again

good am

is there a worksheet that can be printed and taken out to the shop and write in all the info then go back inside and use the computer to put in all the numbers. i think i can screen shot a few sections and make work. but just asking if that is an option.
thanks again
I've never made one. I would probably just write it down on a sheet of paper or make note of it in my phone.

I have started over with a fresh copy of the file already in an attempt to find where the calculation issue happens. I also have noticed that the front pinion calc is flat lined similar to the above.

EDIT:
Screenshots:
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.02.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.02.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.02.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.03.02 AM.png
Hi, so I'm have pretty close to this same issue using excel 16. I've enabled macros, closed, reopened, etc.; but it hasn't changed anything. Any ideas? Thanks!

Can you post some screenshots?
Here you go, Hope this helps. A couple of things started working when I forced macros to be on, but the majority still doesn't. I'm thinking it's something dumb that I overlooked but I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-29 194533.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-29 194533.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-03-29 194617.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-29 194617.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 9
Here you go, Hope this helps. A couple of things started working when I forced macros to be on, but the majority still doesn't. I'm thinking it's something dumb that I overlooked but I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks!
Hmm. That is weird. Can you share a screenshot of rear link calculations at the top of the Calculations tab?

Edit: I wonder if I used formulas that were not available in Excel 2016.

Hmm. That is weird. Can you share a screenshot of rear link calculations at the top of the Calculations tab?

Edit: I wonder if I used formulas that were not available in Excel 2016.
Hopefully these aren't so zoomed out that you can't read them. Is this what you needed?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-30 191916a.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-30 191916a.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-03-30 192141.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-30 192141.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 4
Well, I'm having a hard time finding a 5.0 download that works. I tried in Excel 365 Web based, which I have access to through work, but it turns out that the web version doesn't work either. I'll keep working on it and hopefully will find a way. Thanks for your help!

Not your fault at all. That’s Microsoft getting their money.
What I don't get is why Bill Gates chose to name his company after his pathetic dick.

So, it seems in non office 365 versions of Excel, that VBA functions cannot export to multiple cells.

It seems that this has some info on how to have it put stuff in multiple cells:VBA Help! Can a one cell function returning outputs to multiple cells?
Hey,

First of all, thank you so much for this great tool. I've used it to calculate suspension geometry for Ford 8.8 swap back in 2017 and now, working on front axle swap as well. Looking at the progress over the years, there's been a lot of hard work put in this project.

I was able to fix the calculations for Excel 2016 (win) with quite simple tricks: 1) On calculations sheet, select S17 to display the formula 2) extend selection to S17:V17 3) click formula to edit it 4) hit Control-Shift-Enter (as instructed in the "mrexcel.com" forum link above) 5) repeat for all columns that were not correctly parsed on row 17 6) select S17:CC17 7) copy-paste selection to S17:CC43 8) done!

Few trivial "bug fixes" for 6.10:
  • off by one: Shocks L16:L17,L24:25 reference wrong column in Calculations, should be K not L
  • Shocks E46 & O46 do not have correct formatting for mass like elsewhere

Hey,

First of all, thank you so much for this great tool. I've used it to calculate suspension geometry for Ford 8.8 swap back in 2017 and now, working on front axle swap as well. Looking at the progress over the years, there's been a lot of hard work put in this project.

I was able to fix the calculations for Excel 2016 (win) with quite simple tricks: 1) On calculations sheet, select S17 to display the formula 2) extend selection to S17:V17 3) click formula to edit it 4) hit Control-Shift-Enter (as instructed in the "mrexcel.com" forum link above) 5) repeat for all columns that were not correctly parsed on row 17 6) select S17:CC17 7) copy-paste selection to S17:CC43 8) done!

• off by one: Shocks L16:L17,L24:25 reference wrong column in Calculations, should be K not L
It may also work to extend the s17:v17 down instead of line by line.

Thanks for the bug finds I'll take a look at them.

It looks like L16:L17 are set up right. Good catch on L24:L25
Huh. Guess I missed that one.

Version 6.11 is out over on the resources page. Been awhile since the last new version.

Implements fixes to displays on shock page. Thanks to hitsaa for pointing them out.

Top Back Refresh