What's new

Need the wrong tool for the job.

Yota Up

Dull man
Member Number
Got a cupboard that's pulling from wall at the top.
To get it into place and hold it there while I anchor it I'm looking to buy a tool that extends 5-6' and works like a jack/support so it will go horizontally from the wall across to push the top of the cupboard back against the wall.
The tools made for this job are like $40 for the cheapest on Amazon: Amazon.com

tool.jpg

What cheaper alternatives are out there? What are the names of similar tools I can search for and price out?
No, I'm not gonna have my wife superman that thing.

Those long spreader bars are dirt cheap at princess auto, I swear I got mine for $10.

Otherwise, piece of pipe and pipe clamp.

Otherwise, 2x4's

Otherwise, just get longer screws and use them to suck it in close first.

Kid to hold it even though it's way too much for them and yell if they keep moving.
And bonus points if you take forever to fire in a few screws so kid's arms are on fire.

Shit.... having flashbacks of my childhood now

is it short enough distance to just use a shower rod??
shower rod is too weak and doesn't have the jacking force to push that cupboard back. It's real heavy and gonna need some force.

What is the name of the "load bar that holds freight in a semi truck trailer"? That sounds good.
No Princess Auto here, but $10 would be great.

Can you not support it from below instead of across the room? Go grab the jack out of your car and what ever other size spacer you need.
I definitely support from underneath when hanging cabinets for the first time, screws suck em' in.

Can you not support it from below instead of across the room? Go grab the jack out of your car and what ever other size spacer you need.
No, there's no way I'd get enough force from under it to push it back. Huge and heavy, by the time it would add enough force it would likely push the lower part of the cupboard u.. Support from below is how you hang them up when you install. To correct this one the best force applied is from the opposite wall.

And I don't want to use 2x4/wedge. I'd prefer something with more incremental control rather than whacking at it and hoping for the best.

The BF bar looks exactly the same as the Amazon one, but at less than half price. That's a jackpot and I think it will do perfect.
$20 is worth the piece of mind and being able to push it back little by little.
Thank you.

You need a porta power with some extensions, powerful and very controllable.
That might be the best tool for the job, but I'm looking to do it wrong and save money instead.

I just peeked behind it with a flashlight to see the nails.
Tell me if this is normal for a builder.
The thing is big, 5.5' x 3.5'. 1' deep and seems to be made of oak or something similar. Heavy as a pig.
The only used 2 nails total at the top. One on each end. Is that right or is that some construction BS?

I'm gonna slap a couple of screws into every stud along the way so wife can go ahead and load up the cupboards with gallons of bleach.

Just let the screws pull it back to the wall.
Gaps pretty big to rely on screw to get through cupboard, bridge gap, and bite enough into stud to pull that weight. Especially screw #1 that would be doing all the lifting by itself. I suppose a 7 or 8" screw would work, but even then I expect to chew and strip it before applying enough force to pull it in.

Is it an exterior wall? Drill a hole through the wall and the back of the cabinet. Run your winch cable through the holes from outside and attach the cable to a piece of angle iron placed horizontally across the front of the cabinet. Use your winch remote so you can keep an eye on it while you pull it back in place. I’d recommend using spray foam to seal the hole in your wall for insulation purposes. Paint to match.

M8ght be able to use screws to pull it tight

That might be the best tool for the job, but I'm looking to do it wrong and save money instead.

I just peeked behind it with a flashlight to see the nails.
Tell me if this is normal for a builder.
The thing is big, 5.5' x 3.5'. 1' deep and seems to be made of oak or something similar. Heavy as a pig.
The only used 2 nails total at the top. One on each end. Is that right or is that some construction BS?

I'm gonna slap a couple of screws into every stud along the way so wife can go ahead and load up the cupboards with gallons of bleach.
Go grab a box of 'headlok' or 'ledgerlock' screws- find a stud and send it while you assist pushing it back up to wall. They are not cheap but for good reason.

Top Back Refresh