What's new

Need a great flashlight on a budget.

the one I posted is a spotlight out the end, but also has a side light which lights an area up nicely without being too harsh. the side light is really nice when walking because it points down when you hold it by the handle and lights up the ground for you and the people behind you, without blinding anyone.

It's the same one. If you long click it, it's flashes red and blue :laughing:

How about a headlamp that is somewhat bright and will last for 12-14 hours? I've tried a few and none of the ones I've tried (all less than $30) have fit the bill.

Last edited:
How about a headlamp that is somewhat bright and will last for 12-14 hours? I've tried a few and none of the ones I've tried (all less than $30) have fit the bill.

That's a tall order. IMHO, you're gonna need a belt-pack battery.

For EXAMPLE. 700lm, 4hours.

Fenix:
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hp25r-rechargeable-headlamp/
HP25r.jpg

Yeah I was afraid of that. Guess I will stick with cheapies that I swap after 8 hours.

What's somewhat bright?

On of the decent fenix ones is still pretty bright on med, if you don't think it will make it, an extra 18650 battery is easy enough to carry. They even make them with a USB port directly on the cell.

What's somewhat bright?

On of the decent fenix ones is still pretty bright on med, if you don't think it will make it, an extra 18650 battery is easy enough to carry. They even make them with a USB port directly on the cell.

Just needs to light up the area I'm walking/working atm, I dont need to light something up 300 yards away. I didn't think about carrying an extra cell an swapping them out.

I have a stream light pro tac hl usb, and a pro tac 2l-x. Both are not cheap, but holy fuck they’ll put out some light for their size. They go with me on every hunt. I doubt I’ll buy anything else.

bump..

looking real hard at this Fenix. anyone have one?

Not sure if I posted this before. They make a brighter version as well

Doesn’t fit in pocket
Over $100
Doesn’t include battery

But I have this and it is my go to when the dogs alert on some critter at 02:00

Useful for all sorts of jobs

Attachments

• A63D905B-9913-45F8-934E-59FA6325F7D0.png
    A63D905B-9913-45F8-934E-59FA6325F7D0.png
    427.8 KB · Views: 11
Didn't read the whole thread, so might have been mentioned. I bought 4 of these for the guys at work last year. Strong magnetic base, flood light and a spot light. Bright as fuck. And none of them have been broken yet which is really saying something. I'd totally recommend.

bump..

looking real hard at this Fenix. anyone have one?

I don't have that specific light but I would say based on everything else I have that's Fenix you will like it. FWIW I just sent in a Fenix light for repair and they didn't charge me anything even though i told them to because I broke it being stupid.

21700 batteries are also fuckin awesome. I'm phasing out my 18650s for them.

Reactions: DMG
Streamlight fan here. If you want a super bright light in a normal-sized (not pocket sized EDC), the Protac HL-5X USB fits the bill for just over $100. If you want a bright, evert day pocket carry light the Protac 2L-X USB is a great choice for about $60. Both of these can run on either CR123's or rechargeable 18650's (2 for HLX5, 1 for 2LX).

Note that you can buy these either with or without the rechargeable batteries, so just make sure if the one you are looking at seems cheaper than other retailers that it does include the rechargeable batteries.

I have had both lights for a couple years and use them almost daily. They have good run times and I have been super happy w/both.

I have the Streamlight ProTac HL3. Fucker is bright. If there's brighter, I want that too.:flipoff2:

I carry a 14500 size light every day. 18650s are too big to be comfy in my pockets

I was over cleaning out the woods for hunting season. I lost a deer last year in the dark so my hunting buddy / landowner says he has a new rule. You need a good flashlight. I don't care about tacticool shit on my belt and it doesn't have to fit in my pocket. Big is fine. It'll sit on the Kubota until we need it. If it fits in my pocket by accident, that's fine, but the main criteria is 'bright as fuck'. Let's say I want it to be less than $100 and turn night into day. What have you got?

The strobe function will fuck you up.
No shit. It was about 10am during the summer. One of my buddies drove up from JBLM to meet me for a late breakfast at one of our old favorite restaurants. I saw him pull in and got out of my rig to walk up and say hi. He hit me with that storbe at about 30-50 yards and I had to look at the ground to walk in his direction. Holy fucking blue dot thats a bright ass light. :lmao:

Over your price limit by a bit, but this thing has no problem getting to the back of my property, which is why it's mounted on my house gun.

tlr-1-hpl_main.jpg
0521201355.jpg
reminds me.

anyone seen good cheap LED retrofit for an old Surefire M500? It's on one of my original rifles and the only one with no optics I might would let my daughter have as a house gun

reminds me.

anyone seen good cheap LED retrofit for an old Surefire M500? It's on one of my original rifles and the only one with no optics I might would let my daughter have as a house gun
For me having the CR123 batteries is important for a gun that might not get used for a couple years. I usually swap out the batteries every election cycle, and the Aimpoint battery every POTUS cycle.

I use a coast HP8R . The are sealed well and come with a rechargeable battery as well as a AA backup pack. Adjustable beam and I can clearly see across my 1 acre yard bright as day in the evening. I have 3 that are over 3 years old without issue. They are under $100

Top Back Refresh