What's new

Need a 3/4-1 ton Truck for Long Hauls

So as much as I want a Tundra, I’m so torn on the idea of owning a super clean truck. Especially a super clean truck at the tune of $25k-$30k.

I decided to do a search on 2500 Chevys and found a super clean, low mileage 2006 Silverado. I didn’t want the added costs, but it’s hard to deny the realities of hauling capcities. It’s a 6.0, so if I remember correctly it has a 4l80…44,000 miles. Looks like an older individual owned it.
Pull a Carfax to make sure it hasn't recently had a instrument cluster change to lose a few miles...

Aaron Z

Pull a Carfax to make sure it hasn't recently had a instrument cluster change to lose a few miles...

Aaron Z

Mileage is correct but just saw it’s from New York and went to Virginia.

Now I’m leery to not look this over carefully in person. Sometimes we can find trucks that have never seen salt, but they’re rare.

Reactions: DMG
Mileage is correct but just saw it’s from New York and went to Virginia.

Now I’m leery to not look this over carefully in person. Sometimes we can find trucks that have never seen salt, but they’re rare.
Yep, could be Grandpa towed the camper from NY to FL, AZ, etc in Oct and didn't come back until Apr, or it could have been a plow truck that was then sold to someone in VA.

Aaron Z

Yep, could be Grandpa towed the camper from NY to FL, AZ, etc in Oct and didn't come back until Apr, or it could have been a plow truck that was then sold to someone in VA.

Aaron Z

I’d post it here but someone might snag it. :laughing:

I figured a truck that new would have odometer info stored on the ECM/BCM too?
From what I was told that is only stored in the cluster? Or the cluster doesn't display what the ECM shows?
Either way, if there is a history that shows on Carfax (or similar) with inspections, oil changes, etc that show the mileage going up higher than the cluster shows the seller would need a really good explanation before I would buy it without digging hard to see what else isn't as described.

Aaron Z

Bought a 5.0 F150 since this started it is my second one . By far my favorite trucks I’ve owned . Highly recommend . Favorite part is 36-gallon tank, factory trailer brake controller, 16 mpg which I find to be great with my driving style and no shortage of power . Try one out if you haven’t .

Bought a 5.0 F150 since this started it is my second one . By far my favorite trucks I’ve owned . Highly recommend . Favorite part is 36-gallon tank, factory trailer brake controller, 16 mpg which I find to be great with my driving style and no shortage of power . Try one out if you haven’t .
Pics, year, mileage, price?

So I have been debating this since I started the thread. Rolling around everything.

Recently I used my truck to clean up all my scrap piles and other heavy loads. I can’t bring myself to own an almost $30k minty truck. I also don’t think I want a 1/2 ton anymore.

In the 3/4-1 ton realm my only options are Ford or Chevy. I do not like Dodge/Ram. Dodge made some decent trucks but anything newer seems to not be a good long term truck. Newer meaning 2000+.

Reliability in the drivetrain is paramount in this decision.

I do not like Dodge/Ram. Dodge made some decent trucks but anything newer seems to not be a good long term truck. Newer meaning 2000+.

Reliability in the drivetrain is paramount in this decision.

that seems odd, dodge arguably had the best drivetrain for the past 25 years. it's the interior that sucks on them

be honest with yourself and acknowledge that the interior is the paramount decision to justify buying a GMC :flipoff2:

Chevy with a 6.0 will run forever and get 9-11 mpg doing it. Depending on the model, you will likely get wiring gremlins, leaking 3rd brake or cab marker lights, and a cracked dash.

I have nothing bad to say about the Ford F250s I’ve driven with the 6.2. Most rode like tanks, but I assume swapping front coils could alleviate some of that issue.

that seems odd, dodge arguably had the best drivetrain for the past 25 years. it's the interior that sucks on them

be honest with yourself and acknowledge that the interior is the paramount decision to justify buying a GMC :flipoff2:

The past 25 years? Are you ignoring all their lifter issues eating cams? Kind of like Chevy’s genius plan.

Chevy with a 6.0 will run forever and get 9-11 mpg doing it. Depending on the model, you will likely get wiring gremlins, leaking 3rd brake or cab marker lights, and a cracked dash.

I have nothing bad to say about the Ford F250s I’ve driven with the 6.2. Most rode like tanks, but I assume swapping front coils could alleviate some of that issue.

I HATE working on Fords. But their drivetrains seem pretty solid. The bodies rust out badly here, but plan is to drive far from the rust belt to purchase.

Ideally early 2000’s is where I’m looking. Past 2010 and there’s too many electrical things to cause issues.

I HATE working on Fords. But their drivetrains seem pretty solid. The bodies rust out badly here, but plan is to drive far from the rust belt to purchase.

Ideally early 2000’s is where I’m looking. Past 2010 and there’s too many electrical things to cause issues.
An aluminum ford wont have the same rust problem. I hope.

The past 25 years? Are you ignoring all their lifter issues eating cams? Kind of like Chevy’s genius plan.
yes, anything on the road right now has been reasonably resolved already. for the average user, there won't be any significant issues with the drivetrains from the big 3 for a 3/4T gasser.

it's just funny, since most of the time folks say "buy a dodge for the drivetrain, ignore the terrible interior" and you might be the first to say "avoid the dodge for the drivetrain" :flipoff2:

that's all. I'm partial to Ford because they are the cheapest to buy used at the moment

yes, anything on the road right now has been reasonably resolved already. for the average user, there won't be any significant issues with the drivetrains from the big 3 for a 3/4T gasser.

it's just funny, since most of the time folks say "buy a dodge for the drivetrain, ignore the terrible interior" and you might be the first to say "avoid the dodge for the drivetrain" :flipoff2:

that's all. I'm partial to Ford because they are the cheapest to buy used at the moment

The only good dodge drivetrain for years has been made by cummins, Aisin and NVG

The only good dodge drivetrain for years has been made by cummins, Aisin and NVG
and now that this thread is away from 1/2 ton, all we know is "under $30k, between 2000-2010, and 3/4T".

No reason we can't find a cummins to aisin wrapped in red

and now that this thread is away from 1/2 ton, all we know is "under $30k, between 2000-2010, and 3/4T".

No reason we can't find a cummins to aisin wrapped in red
Pre-Covid dollars, probably around 2015 or 2016, I bought a used Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 for around 20k. It had under 100k miles. I doubt you could get a comparable truck for under 40k now.

I'm selling my 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed. Its got the 6.0 v8 rwd, with just over 51,000 miles, modifications to this truck are:

Clear chrome housing headlights

Gooseneck hitch

Flowmaster super 44 muffler

Hidden killswitch for theft protection

K&N cold air intake

Fuel forged rims gloss black

Nitto ridge grappler tires

Painted front bumper

2017 paint matched tow mirrors

2.5 inch leveling kit

I am asking $23,950 and i am flexible with price, 100% no rust, no accidents, clean title on hand, 2 owners. All negotiations in person, full cash only.

$23k it's got the stupid six foot bed and 4 door cab though

Well, there you go. I should have specified mine was a 2010 4wd.
emecreator.org%2Fstatic%2Fimages%2Fmemes%2F3700538.jpg

I tried :rasta:

I’m looking at crew cab 8’ bed trucks at the moment. On the used market there are more 99-06 Chevys fitting that bill.

This will be to tow the crawler, camp out of, and potentially haul 4 people at the same time.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh