What's new

Need a 3/4-1 ton Truck for Long Hauls

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
I’ve been debating posting this, because I have a feeling the backlash will come. :flipoff2:

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 just did 30+ hours of towing and I’m pretty sure the AFM/DOD lifter failure happened 10 minutes from home. There’s a huge exhaust leak at the manifold, so it’s hard to tell if that’s the only problem, or not.

If it’s the lifter, I’m throwing in the towel on this truck. I was going to have to cut the rear frame off and rebuild it and the bed due to rust. But at this point it’s like why bother as something else will rot out soon enough.

:flipoff:the rust belt.

Anyways, I’m working on building a lightweight 2 seater buggy. Max tow will be around 5,000lbs. with the trailer. Ideally I want to be able to camp out of this truck while wheeling the buggy in other parts of the country. So a truck cap build out, which could get heavy after material, spare parts, tools, food, etc. get loaded is in the plan. This will be for two people, usually the wife and I or me and the oldest kid. Our youngest son doesn’t get into these trips much (he’s on the spectrum for autism and a total home body:laughing:).

A crew cab is ideal. Access cab is just okay.

My current idea is a 1st gen or 2nd gen Tundra. I know there’s a lot of champions for the 99’-06’ GMT800’s, but the 4l60 will need rebuilt. I’m also pretty certain their body quality is just as shitty as the GMT900.

I know Ford makes reliable 3/4 tons, but I am not buying a 3/4 ton. Registration yearly is over $250 and every maintenance cost is more than a 1/2 ton.

So anyone want to chime in and tell me I’m a faggoty Toyota fanboi and the Tundra sucks?

:flipoff2:

TL/DR: Need a reliable 1/2 ton to tow light loads and camp in around the country.

I had an 800 and a 900, and the body quality is worlds better on the older truck. The sheet metal GM went with after '07 is shit. Like, crinkle in the fender after leaning on it to get something out of the bed shit. The only difference in maintenance between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton gas is what? Brakes?

I'd be more concerned throwing 1000 pounds of junk in the bed of a half ton and then trying to control a trailer than the weight of the trailer being towed.

I had an 800 and a 900, and the body quality is worlds better on the older truck. The sheet metal GM went with after '07 is shit. Like, crinkle in the fender after leaning on it to get something out of the bed shit. The only difference in maintenance between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton gas is what? Brakes?

I'd be more concerned throwing 1000 pounds of junk in the bed of a half ton and then trying to control a trailer than the weight of the trailer being towed.

Most older 3/4 tons already have piles of miles on them, so balljoints, steering, control arm bushings, everything 3/4 ton costs more. Not to mention my yearly $250+ registration fee over the current $85…for more truck than I realistically need.

1,000 lbs. in the bed seems a bit extreme. I can also set up a box on the trailer to handle spare parts duty, so it’s not like it all has to fit in a 6’6” bed.

Chevy 1500 HD? 6.0, 4L80 (I believe), all were crew cab 4x4. Rebuild the front end, parts are dirt cheap.

Chevy 1500 HD? 6.0, 4L80 (I believe), all were crew cab 4x4. Rebuild the front end, parts are dirt cheap.

I set my search out 500 miles when I look for vehicles and those are rare. In fact I usually see one or two when I search and most are rotted piles of shit not worth $1,000.

1,000 lbs. in the bed seems a bit extreme. I can also set up a box on the trailer to handle spare parts duty, so it’s not like it all has to fit in a 6’6” bed.
Adds up quick, especially when you start with a couple/ few hundred pounds of topper.

Adds up quick, especially when you start with a couple/ few hundred pounds of topper.

True, but like I said, I can run a locking box on the front of the trailer to help that.

EDIT: Just realized that I can’t camp in the bed of a crew cab Tundra anyways. They only came with 5’6” beds.

2015 is my cut off due to price.

But why those years over 2010-2014 (excluding 2012)?

Had a 2008, 2011, 2015…. Interior is much better on the 2014+, imho.

Sucks that they eliminated the trans temp gauge and sliding rear seat, though

Last edited:
Had a 2010, 2011, 2015…. Interior is much better on the 2014+, imho.

Sucks that they eliminated the trans temp gauge and sliding rear seat, though

Wait, is that it?

I’m the type that gives about zero fucks when it comes to creature comforts. :laughing: I want reliability. I don’t care about gadgets or conveniences.

Wait, is that it?

I’m the type that gives about zero fucks when it comes to creature comforts. :laughing: I want reliability. I don’t care about gadgets or conveniences.

You didn’t specify what differences were important to you. :flipoff2:

I really dislike the dash layout on the 07-13(?)… I did like the trans temp gauge. Iirc, the rear crewmax seat lost slide/recline in 2010-ish.

All of the tow/haul settings suck. Overheated my 2011 trans pulling 7k lbs through Illinois because of constant shifting between 5 and 6. I always manually shifted into 5 when towing after that. Friends do the same with theirs.

Otherwise the exact same truck under the sheet metal, IIRC.

Oh… stay away from the 4.7/4.6 for towing. And make sure you get the 4.30 gears.

Edit: look for one with the rear sway bar. Was not a factory option - was dealer installed from TRD. Makes a bit of a difference towing

and last...

throw a set of bolt on sliders on whatever one you get. Will significantly reduce frame flex and improve ride. These trucks have wet noodles for frames.

I set my search out 500 miles when I look for vehicles and those are rare. In fact I usually see one or two when I search and most are rotted piles of shit not worth $1,000.

Yeah, I mean if you live in the rust belt and want a cheap older truck that’s not rotted out, you’re probably going to have to search for one in FL, TX, AZ, etc…

Last edited:

Gay wheels, but otherwise clean.

Higher miles, but these regularly go ~ 400k.

Gay wheels, but otherwise clean.

Higher miles, but these regularly go ~ 400k.

I am very hesitant to buy Chevy. Just an FYI.

I’ve owned quite a few brands, and maybe it’s just the Japanese 4Runners that do it, but nothing has been as well built as my 4Runner. 130,000 miles and all of it feels and drives like a brand new vehicle. It even did that with stock suspension at 116,000 miles.

True, but like I said, I can run a locking box on the front of the trailer to help that.

EDIT: Just realized that I can’t camp in the bed of a crew cab Tundra anyways. They only came with 5’6” beds.
The shorter crew came with a 6.5' bed

I'd seriously consider flying out of the rust belt to buy a truck. The prices are about the same and the condition of the trucks is 1000X better. I wouldn't want to start out with a new to me truck that's already starting to rot out.

Ecoboost F150 is my vote.

My wife drives a ‘13 F150 with max tow and heavy payload packages. More or less the same thing as a Chevy 1500HD. It’s still a pretty solid truck at 198,000 and gets used hard maybe once a month. It’s not an actual long bed but it’s longer than the shortest bed.

I'd kill for $250/yr for registration. My truck is $900. I really liked my 3.5 ecoboost f150. The 10 speed auto was impressive. I'd avoid a 1st gen tundra because the 2UZ is anemic. I've had 3 2UZs and love them for everything except towing.

My buddy has a 2014 Tundra and it tows fine but gets thirsty doing it.

A guy I know and his brother just got practically matching '23 Tundras - except his is the 6.5' bed with "double cab" and his brother's is the 5.5' bed with the "crewmax" cab. Even at 6'-2", I had enough room in the "double cab" version, although the "crewmax" version did have more legroom if wanted.

Looking online, supposedly you can get the 6.5' bed in the crewmax and up to an 8.1' bed for the double cab. I haven't seen an 8' bed, though, and don't know if that was an option in earlier years.

Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 8.14.50 PM.png

I am very hesitant to buy Chevy. Just an FYI.

I’ve owned quite a few brands, and maybe it’s just the Japanese 4Runners that do it, but nothing has been as well built as my 4Runner. 130,000 miles and all of it feels and drives like a brand new vehicle. It even did that with stock suspension at 116,000 miles.

Yeah, if you expect to get ~ 120k miles out of front unit bearings, you’ll probably be disappointed by anything else. It’s like $300 in parts and half a day to put a completely new front end under a Chevy, I just do it whenever I buy one.

As much as I love to hate on it. my '14 f150 supercrew is a comfy sumbitch for goin places. Fold the back seats up and can fit a serious sized cooler back there plus room for snacks,a hooker, and a couple yard sale finds.

As much as I love to hate on it. my '14 f150 supercrew is a comfy sumbitch for goin places. Fold the back seats up and can fit a serious sized cooler back there plus room for snacks,a hooker, and a couple yard sale finds.
Is it a 4dr? The one I had as a rental a few months ago was 4dr and the rear seating area was freakin huge!

Is it a 4dr? The one I had as a rental a few months ago was 4dr and the rear seating area was freakin huge!

Yea its the 4 door with 6.5' bed. I didnt realize how big the back seat was. But you just keep tossing stuff in there an it never fills up. :laughing:

Takes 32 acres to make a Uturn though :homer:

Top Back Refresh