What's new

My Slice of the Pie, a long build towards a small farm

Now that you have yours all sewed up, where else did you have your eye on that was in top contention for your dream to bed down?

I’m looking at 30 to 40 acre lots with the same idea.

Now that you have yours all sewed up, where else did you have your eye on that was in top contention for your dream to bed down?

I’m looking at 30 to 40 acre lots with the same idea.

all around SE idaho, South central/east oregon, outside of Reno mostly south, some east, some north just in the hills, mountains of northern NM. didn't really consider CO, just kind of far east.

If state of Jefferson ever kicks off and calls her sons and daughters home for the cause, i'll sell everything and quit my job to go do that, but otherwise I don't see a way to end up in NE CA :laughing:

If we get close to getting out there in ~8 years and bear lake is just too crowded and built up, the wife has already agreed to head east for ~200ac+ out in Wyoming and just have an hour or two commute to town.

mostly what i was looking for was places that don't spend much/any time over 100* in the summer, are able to grow grass to support some fur babies. high desert fits the bill, oh and obviously budget concerns. I'm not smart enough to build up a huge budget to buy whatever/wherever

Congratulations btw, looks like a good spot and I’m looking forward to updates.

Since ActionFab bailed on us and took his updates away. Let me be the first to say that if you don’t get an electric Milwaukee grease gun you’re doing it wrong :flipoff2:

Congratulations btw, looks like a good spot and I’m looking forward to updates.

Since ActionFab bailed on us and took his updates away. Let me be the first to say that if you don’t get an electric Milwaukee grease gun you’re doing it wrong :flipoff2:

you'll be happy to know that i fucking despise battery powered tools and will carry a 12v air compressor to run a pneumatic grease gun before i will buy a damn red 18 gagillion volt thingymafreezebop of dead batteries :flipoff2:

Great thread, subscribed.

BTW Provience , I don't have the skills or software to do anything with that video :( Sorry got occupied with some other stuff on the computer.

14.5klb ex

1 ac garden

For the non-tech folks, can you write this out? What is a 14.5 klb ex? Your old wife is fat?

And what is an 'ac garden'?

Worthy endeavor, you're winning at life :beer:

For the non-tech folks, can you write this out? What is a 14.5 klb ex? Your old wife is fat?

And what is an 'ac garden'?

Worthy endeavor, you're winning at life :beer:

14.5 thousand pound excavator, really seems like a size that would be medium duty truck towable, so like a good fit to lug behind a 5 or 8 yard dump truck. I've got enough hillside i'll like to shape out that i'd like to not need to do it with a backhoe on a tractor and the truck/ex combo would, in theory, be able to be worked elsewhere a couple weeks a year to help pay for itself

1 ac, is One Acre worth of gardening. Household use, livestock use and 1 acre of home-use garden are all that i'm "allowed" to run off my well without paying for water rights and such and whatnot, which should honestly be plenty but i'm going to have to play around with where i can stuff it and likely figure out some decent greenhouse stuff to offset the ~60 days above freezing every year :laughing:

I bought an issue of mother earth a couple years back, a fellow in Montana built a shed with an angled glass wall to collect solar heat in coils of water (glycol mix maybe) stored in a partially underground plastic septic tank, this was them piped 100' to and from the house where it was used in a radiant floor heating system, using a handful of temp switches and pump.
The article was well done, and it seemed to be thorough (but always triple check hippy math)
apparently Montana gets 2000 hours of sunlight a year, even if fucking cold, they calc'd that the system would hold heat through 3 consecutive cloudy days
it seemed to me there was built in waste, the heat collecting shed stood alone instead of being built into the house, or workshop, the expense and loss of 100' separation
I would consider building something similar into the wall of your living area

edit: found the issue, Gary Reysa
https://builditsolar.com
looks like he has lots of free info on his site

Last edited:
14.5 thousand pound excavator, really seems like a size that would be medium duty truck towable, so like a good fit to lug behind a 5 or 8 yard dump truck. I've got enough hillside i'll like to shape out that i'd like to not need to do it with a backhoe on a tractor and the truck/ex combo would, in theory, be able to be worked elsewhere a couple weeks a year to help pay for itself

1 ac, is One Acre worth of gardening. Household use, livestock use and 1 acre of home-use garden are all that i'm "allowed" to run off my well without paying for water rights and such and whatnot, which should honestly be plenty but i'm going to have to play around with where i can stuff it and likely figure out some decent greenhouse stuff to offset the ~60 days above freezing every year :laughing:

120+ but who's counting

120+ but who's counting

you're better at the math than me, it was 27* overnight on August 31st or so. fun to see all the sprinklers freeze along the fences and it was mid june before the snow was gone. guess that's more than 60 days, but still, at least some clear plastic as a removeable roof and a decent one for starting off :rasta:

I bought an issue of mother earth a couple years back, a fellow in Montana built a shed with an angled glass wall to collect solar heat in coils of water (glycol mix maybe) stored in a partially underground plastic septic tank, this was them piped 100' to and from the house where it was used in a radiant floor heating system, using a handful of temp switches and pump.
The article was well done, and it seemed to be thorough (but always triple check hippy math)
apparently Montana gets 2000 hours of sunlight a year, even if fucking cold, they calc'd that the system would hold heat through 3 consecutive cloudy days
it seemed to me there was built in waste, the heat collecting shed stood alone instead of being built into the house, or workshop, the expense and loss of 100' separation

passive heat like that is generally pretty effective but still needs to be supplemented. it would probably be worth adding some coils like that in addition to my outdoor furnace designs but i couldn't get the hippy math that i could find on it to make sense for as much heat as i think i'm going to need, i.e. animal trough anti-freeze, water pre-heating, greenhouse temp control.

you're better at the math than me, it was 27* overnight on August 31st or so. fun to see all the sprinklers freeze along the fences and it was mid june before the snow was gone. guess that's more than 60 days, but still, at least some clear plastic as a removeable roof and a decent one for starting off :rasta:

Hard to relate for certain, but we're typically frost free June 1 to september 15 or so. Last of our snow melts by May 15. This year was odd with frost so early. We had snow this week. Pic is of tetons Monday morning.

IMG_20200908_072047.jpg

Hard to relate for certain, but we're typically frost free June 1 to september 15 or so. Last of our snow melts by May 15. This year was odd with frost so early. We had snow this week. Pic is of tetons Monday morning.

gorgeous photo!

overall, i'm not super concerned about the frost, just means i'll be burying lines deeper and need to stay on top of frost covers for the eating plants

cold keeps the people away, so i need to join in the rest of the town and oversell how deadly and horrible it is :laughing:

passive heat like that is generally pretty effective but still needs to be supplemented. it would probably be worth adding some coils like that in addition to my outdoor furnace designs but i couldn't get the hippy math that i could find on it to make sense for as much heat as i think i'm going to need, i.e. animal trough anti-freeze, water pre-heating, greenhouse temp control.

I'm sure it would need supplementation, but for a buy once cry once, only have to heat from 50f to comfy, it seemed pretty killer
if the website doesn't have the good info, PM me and I'll make copies of the article

great, now I'm imagining some sort of solar parabolic mirror bullshit for winter heat

prob not do anything solar, instead just do the usual ground-source heatpump and a wood boiler
ETA: "maximus ironthumper" on the youtubes has a good bit on a little tiny solar heater add-on to his wood boiler thing, he's using residential solar water heater parts from the garbage

Last edited:
[486 said:
;n130530]

great, now I'm imagining some sort of solar parabolic mirror bullshit for winter heat

prob not do anything solar, instead just do the usual ground-source heatpump and a wood boiler
ETA: "maximus ironthumper" on the youtubes has a good bit on a little tiny solar heater add-on to his wood boiler thing, he's using residential solar water heater parts from the garbage

i actually need to call the power company and ask them. they were installing underground power to a few of my neighbors (well, within 2 miles), so it might actually be cheaper than i was thinking, with their massive subsidies and such.

heat pumps are just too energy hungry to be a reasonable "off-grid" solution. On grid? oh hell yeah, source that bitch out of the retention pond and help keep that from freezing in the winter as well :smokin:

On grid? oh hell yeah, source that bitch out of the retention pond and help keep that from freezing in the winter as well :smokin:

uh I'm no expert but
I don't think it works that way

ETA: I mean, maybe you're making your house way cold in the winter so you can heat the pond? I guess, not my house, man

[486 said:
;n130560]

uh I'm no expert but
I don't think it works that way

well, it could be done to keep the water circulating and that water would exit the system hotter than it entered. No enough to keep the whole thing from icing up, but enough and deep enough to keep it all from turning into a block would be possible. Biggest advantage would be in the spring if slightly warmer circulating water could increase the melt. but yeah, probably not enough to matter but i'm reaching for justifications here :laughing:

well, it could be done to keep the water circulating and that water would exit the system hotter than it entered. No enough to keep the whole thing from icing up, but enough and deep enough to keep it all from turning into a block would be possible. Biggest advantage would be in the spring if slightly warmer circulating water could increase the melt. but yeah, probably not enough to matter but i'm reaching for justifications here :laughing:

But the heat pump makes it warming inside by pulling heat out of the outside media, whether air or water.

If the pond is deep enough it could conceivably act as a heat sink and shouldn't freeze.

But theoretically, heating with a heat pump in winter would freeze the pond, not thaw it.

But the heat pump makes it warming inside by pulling heat out of the outside media, whether air or water.

If the pond is deep enough it could conceivably act as a heat sink and shouldn't freeze.

But theoretically, heating with a heat pump in winter would freeze the pond, not thaw it.

well damn, i'll just run the a/c all winter then :lmao:

I dunno, once i couldn't get over the 1.5kwh constant use compressor in the middle of winter, i pretty well gave up on looking into them.

well damn, i'll just run the a/c all winter then :lmao:

I dunno, once i couldn't get over the 1.5kwh constant use compressor in the middle of winter, i pretty well gave up on looking into them.

if you can get the electric, it can work out as cheaper per BTU than ng (which is stupid fucking cheap)

Top Back Refresh