What's new

My new shop thread

Sorry, don't mean to completely derail your thread asking about motor prices :P

Currently a 3/4hp poly phase 120/240v motor. Had thought about a cheap VFD, but the 3phase motor would have to be real, real cheap to make that worhwhile.

I'll continue to check ebay and I'll have a look at that HF option, that I was unaware of. Thanks man!!

Also, killer shop, love the machines.

I searched "1hp single phase motor" on ebay and there are a few decent hits. There's an 1800 rpm e.o. smith that was under $100 shipped that would probably work if the shaft size is right.

a simple RPC is way easy to toss together, and once you've got one then you aren't as concerned about dragging home that cheap as fuck oddball compressor, milling machine, drill press or what have you

The human/zebra centar thing still creeps me out. Furries are fuckin' weird. :laughing:
don't worry, "creeps me out" will grow into something else pretty soon :flipoff2:

So I guess I haven't been very good at updating this thread. Seeing the pictures of it empty and clean from when I bought it makes me cry.....it looks like a junk yard now. :laughing:

Didn't want to start another thread, an this is somewhat relevant to the RPC discussion from the first page. I used to see 20-30 hp size motors the yard all the time. After I posted that, it apparently took me a year to find one.

Another visit to the scrap yard, another load of shit I probably don't need. :laughing:

I found a 20 hp motor I'd be looking for to build a rotary phase converter. I'd rather have a 25 or 30, but haven't been able to find one for a while. Next size up was 50...and 75 and 100+.

Little guy in the front. Shaft was still blued up. Pretty sure it was either brand new or at least freshly rebuilt and never run. Bearings feel silky smooth. They charge $8/hp so this little guy set me back $160. :smokin:
View attachment 546606

They were down a forklift so it was taking a while for their guy to come pick it up for me. While I'm waiting, I see the forklift from up front dropping off a Quincy compressor. .45/lb for pretty much everything else in the yard. I had him run it over the scale when he came to load the motor. According to google, it should have been close to 800 lbs. He gave it to me for $300....I think he was cutting me a break for making me wait.

View attachment 546607

It's got a different, but properly sized motor and non-original sheave on it. Not sure if the sheave is sized properly. I have another 80 gal IR with a bad pump so worst case I'll borrow the pump from this one and make a hybrid unit.

I really don't need it....I have 3 other big compressors, but it was a decent deal and I figure I can easily make my money back selling the tank if the rest is shot.

I need to post some updated pics of the disaster that is the shop now. Every time I get close to getting it cleaned up and organized, another projects pops up that sets off a bomb and shit gets strewn everywhere. :shaking:

So I guess I haven't been very good at updating this thread. Seeing the pictures of it empty and clean from when I bought it makes me cry.....it looks like a junk yard now. :laughing:

Didn't want to start another thread, an this is somewhat relevant to the RPC discussion from the first page. I used to see 20-30 hp size motors the yard all the time. After I posted that, it apparently took me a year to find one.

Another visit to the scrap yard, another load of shit I probably don't need. :laughing:

I found a 20 hp motor I'd be looking for to build a rotary phase converter. I'd rather have a 25 or 30, but haven't been able to find one for a while. Next size up was 50...and 75 and 100+.

Little guy in the front. Shaft was still blued up. Pretty sure it was either brand new or at least freshly rebuilt and never run. Bearings feel silky smooth. They charge $8/hp so this little guy set me back $160. :smokin:
View attachment 546606

They were down a forklift so it was taking a while for their guy to come pick it up for me. While I'm waiting, I see the forklift from up front dropping off a Quincy compressor. .45/lb for pretty much everything else in the yard. I had him run it over the scale when he came to load the motor. According to google, it should have been close to 800 lbs. He gave it to me for $300....I think he was cutting me a break for making me wait.

View attachment 546607

It's got a different, but properly sized motor and non-original sheave on it. Not sure if the sheave is sized properly. I have another 80 gal IR with a bad pump so worst case I'll borrow the pump from this one and make a hybrid unit.

I really don't need it....I have 3 other big compressors, but it was a decent deal and I figure I can easily make my money back selling the tank if the rest is shot.

I need to post some updated pics of the disaster that is the shop now. Every time I get close to getting it cleaned up and organized, another projects pops up that sets off a bomb and shit gets strewn everywhere. :shaking:
What scrap yards gets good shit like that. My local yards there is nothing but scrap there

What scrap yards gets good shit like that. My local yards there is nothing but scrap there
The fact that super nice shit like that is getting scrapped makes me think the area is full of "money printer" type industry.

Even the yards in the Boston area aren't like that. To be fair, most of the money printers in the Boston area are not manufacturing related, just office work.

The fact that super nice shit like that is getting scrapped makes me think the area is full of "money printer" type industry.

Even the yards in the Boston area aren't like that. To be fair, most of the money printers in the Boston area are not manufacturing related, just office work.

Most yards don't take the time to deal with sales and just shred everything. I have two good ones fairly close that have sales yards and try to pull the good stuff out to flip.

Please, tell me what kind of "money printer" industry exists in Greensboro, NC. :shaking:

I don't have a good pic of their full sales yard, but it's probably a solid 2-3 acres packed full of shit.

They've had two radial drills sitting out there for the last month or two. I've been eyeballing the smaller one, but didn't have a way to power it because I don't have a rotary phase......fuck.

This is the bigger one.
1655720756762.png

This chonker of a Manoarch sat out there for months. I actually posted it all over FB trying to find them a buyer for it. It ended up getting shredded. I actually pulled the tailstock off it and brought it down to Keith Rucker in GA for the Monarch he's rebuilding.

1655721252311.png

Nice.

A 10 acre place came for sale here that I tried to make the numbers for. Had a 40x80 shop plus another 40x80 storage building with some lean tos on each side.
Shop had a nice apartment too.

Oh, and a nice house... but who cares about that. :grinpimp:

Was around 700k, which all considering was a great price, but I would have been more or less making the payments with 75% of my income.
Ended up with a ~5 acre property with a 30x40 shop for about 1/3 of the price of the other place. I'm putting up a 30x48 storage building and building a house.

I wish I could find machine tools here for reasonable prices. I had my eye on a 13x40 80s Jet lathe and a big ACRA mill at an auction a few days ago. Lathe had no chuck or toolpost, no tooling at all. Went for $5k. I was a buyer until the 3k area. Mill was setup decent with a DRO, went for 7 or 8k. I would have done ~5k for it.
Probably going to end up finding something toward the west coast and having to ship it up, or make a road trip.

Last edited:
Most yards don't take the time to deal with sales and just shred everything. I have two good ones fairly close that have sales yards and try to pull the good stuff out to flip.

Please, tell me what kind of "money printer" industry exists in Greensboro, NC. :shaking:

I don't have a good pic of their full sales yard, but it's probably a solid 2-3 acres packed full of shit.

They've had two radial drills sitting out there for the last month or two. I've been eyeballing the smaller one, but didn't have a way to power it because I don't have a rotary phase......fuck.

This is the bigger one.
1655720756762.png

This chonker of a Manoarch sat out there for months. I actually posted it all over FB trying to find them a buyer for it. It ended up getting shredded. I actually pulled the tailstock off it and brought it down to Keith Rucker in GA for the Monarch he's rebuilding.

1655721252311.png
:eek::barf: I'd have given a few grand for it!

What yard in Greensboro is this? Lol
answer please?

I'm not giving away my honey hole. :flipoff2:

D.H. Griffin's yard on Hilltop.

Definitely hit or miss. I don't get down there as much since I moved 20 minutes further north. Used to be every saturday I'd go there, there was an old guy walking around with a can of spray paint marking everything he was buying.....pretty much all the smaller steel that most of us would use for projects. Turns out he was the owner of Jenkin's - the fab place up in Browns Summit off 29. Haven't seen him there in several months.

So I feel like I need to update this at least once every 6 months....

I accidently bought a thing at an auction last week. I've wanted a Monarch for a while and this one was too cheap to pass up.

18x54 from 1948. Came with all the necessities - 4-jaw, 6-jaw, sjogren 4j collet chuck, stready, DRO and a QC post (but only 1 tool holder).

After fees, taxes and loading, it was $2200 loaded on my trailer. Couldn't pass it up.

Need to rearrange some stuff and make room for it. Picking it up after the first.

1671905624035.png

nice
good selection of spindle jewelry, and a steady too

knockoff aloris style holders are cheap long as you don't care about needing to trade out the chinese shit set screws

nice
good selection of spindle jewelry, and a steady too

knockoff aloris style holders are cheap long as you don't care about needing to trade out the chinese shit set screws
It's coming with a Dorian with one tool holder. I actually think I have the exact same one with 4 or 5 holders sitting in a crate here...pretty sure it's the same size.

I'm excited about the 6 jaw chuck. I'll need to source the jaws for it, but they should be fairly standard.

1671920488556.png

And the DRO appears to be very recent. Not a single greasy fingerprint on it.
1671920528569.png

Well, it was sketchy as fuck, but it's in the shop. Haven't cleared it's final resting spot yet, but it's pointed at it.

1672873358670.png

It almost didn't free-spool off the trailer and try to go through my shop door either. :laughing:
1672873373593.png

The bad news, is my fear that it has a high voltage motor turned out to be true. The auction house didn't list any voltages on the shit they sold. Some of the smaller stuff that had exposed labels you could get luck enough to read, but not this one.

550v, 10hp and 1800 RPM. Highly likely that this is the original motor to 1948.
1672873997171.png

Plenty of cheap 10hp 230v motors on ebay, so i should be able to repower it without spending a fortune. Bad part is everything modern is a 213 frame, which is quite a bit smaller than the 324 that's in it. I need to poke around some more and see if there are other mounting holes. Otherwise, hopefully it won't be a big deal to make an adapter plate to stick the smaller footprint motor in there.

At least that’s easier than trying to shoehorn a larger motor in! That thing is a beast. I’m sure you will enjoy it.

I have so much other shit I should be doing, but I have to poke around this new toy.

I looks like it'll be easy to redrill the base plate, as long as I can physically get the snout of the new motor out far enough to line up with the belt. It also looks like the shaft diameter on the existing motor is around 1-5/8" and anything new is likely going to be 1.5" so that'll be a PITA.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but that motor is fawkin' huuuuge.
1672878861273.png

For reference, this is the 20hp baldor that's sitting around waiting for me to gather the rest of the parts to build an RPC. Easily half the size for twice the HP.
1672878920331.png

Controls are pretty simple. I'll likely run it off a VFD, at least until I get the RPC built, so I'll be able to tap in to these control wires to run the VFD.

The amount of rusty sludge in the bottom of this box makes my think this machine may have been in a shallow flood. Everything else is soaked in oil and grease and there's no reason there should be that much rust in there. There's nothing really mechanical that would have been submerged so it's not a big deal, but kind of strange none the less.

1672879095601.png

The more I look at this thing, the more I'm loving it. Very much an Art Deco look to it. You'll never see anything modern with this much style attention to detail.
1672879176974.png

And the cool part is, those vertical classic art deco stripes also serve as vents to the motor compartment. :smokin:
1672879242352.png

Surprisingly, all of the covers are intact with the exception of the back cover for the spindle - where that power wire is currently jammed in the pics.

You have to move the motor forward so it'll be easier and better to just build an adapter to go between that an the base than to redrill the base and overhang the pulley load farther.

You have to move the motor forward so it'll be easier and better to just build an adapter to go between that an the base than to redrill the base and overhang the pulley load farther.
My concern with an adapter is it will raise the motor up and there's not a lot of adjustment left....if lift the motor higher I may not be able to tension the belts enough. And I'd prefer not to buy new belts if I don't have to. They're supposed to be matched on these multi-belt setups and those tend to be not cheap.

Although as I'm thinking about it, the new motor is probably shorter so I may need to add a riser any way.

Speaking of which, the easy button was working today. Swung by my favorite scrap yard and found a perfect 10hp 1755rpm motor. They're up to $8/hp now (was $6 when I bought the 20hp). So for $80 I'm set. I had actually found one on ebay from a scrap place on the other side of town. She had it listed for $400, but I know if I go in and pay cash she'll usually sell it for half of the listed price....so my backup plan was to go over there and try to get one for $200. This is better.

And just like the 20hp I bought, the shaft on this was blued and there was still signs of masking tape where it had been repainted. Best guess is these were probably rebuilt and put on the shelf as spares for one of the local plants that either shut down or scrapped one of their lines.

It's 1755 rpm vs. the 1800 that's in it now. I doubt I'd even noticed the difference, but also since I'm likely going to be running if off a VFD, I can just overclock it a bit if I need more speed out of it.

1672934304327.png

1672934588456.png

I guess I need to take some measurements on the old and new and see what it's going to take to get it mounted.

10 next to the 20 Gonna try to pull the old motor tonight. Not sure if I'll be able to do it without a hoist, and where the lathe is sitting now I can't get a forklift or my gantry over it. May have to wait until I get some other stuff moved and the lathe is in it's permanent spot and I can wheel the gantry over it.

The new motor weighed somewhere around 180-200lbs according to the scrap yard scale. I'm betting the old one is well over 300.

1673027359304.png

Nice score on that Monarch. Those motors are a bitch to pull when mounted under the headstock like that. I usually put down a couple 4x4's and drag them out with a forklift or something like that. It is usually easiest to unbolt or pull the pivot pin out of the mounting plate and drag it out with the motor instead of trying to get to all 4 motor bolts.

Here's a good cross reference chart so you can get some ideas for an adapter plate: NEMA Frame/Shaft Sizes - Big Electric Motors

Also, Mcmaster sells shuffle plates for some common size motors that aren't too expensive. I've used them a few times as a time saver for making adapter plates when switching frame sizes. About $80 for the 215T you have: McMaster-Carr
1673039335723.png

Also, Mcmaster sells shuffle plates for some common size motors that aren't too expensive. I've used them a few times as a time saver for making adapter plates when switching frame sizes. About $80 for the 215T you have: McMaster-Carr
1673039335723.png
We have a bunch of those plates on motors on compressors at work, they make it much easier to tension the belts.

Aaron Z

The more I look at this thing, the more I'm loving it. Very much an Art Deco look to it. You'll never see anything modern with this much style attention to detail.

I hate that about modern stuff. For all the technology we have these days, they just want to make it as quickly and cheaply as possible. They could easily church things up a bit and make things look like something, but "ain't nobody got time for dat!"

Top Back Refresh