What's new

My new shop thread

There is something deeply satisfying about just going through and cleaning something like that.
Indeed. At first. And then it gets old. :laughing:

Got the worse side done. Just need to finish the back and right side. And then inside the enclosure. I'll probably eventually pull out things like the cooling fans as they're pretty well caked. I think they have filters, which are probably 99% blocked too.

At some point all tear in and start cleaning inside some of the electonical cabinets. They all have a coating of this yellow-brown oily shit on them. Really curious what it is and what they were running that got it up inside every square inch of this thing.

I could pretty much spend as much time as I wanted on this thing....like pulling every bundle of wires and hoses apart and cleaning them and getting way in to every nook and cranny, but I'm not going that crazy. I just want it to look decent and not get me dirty every time I touch it. :laughing: I figure if I don't do it now, before I actually start making chips on it, I'd probably never do it.

Moar satisfying pikshures:
seZA8TR7Qco34tMsN29d0_Q=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

K2mc0fSFLPf0Pm8Z2M_Nkvw=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

_8mePzK2hRE3UJO9DtYPMBQ=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

2BhMV_h7F3RB6JWxBTewL7A=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

jwujCZSHIM5piAcHZ591se9A=w703-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Wow, had to go back and forth between before and after to understand I was looking at the same thing. That was some nasty build-up.

Can't believe it's been more than 4 months and I still don't have these things at 100%. :shaking:

That Fadal is up and running and I have made a couple parts on it, but also found that the oiling system for the ways is not functioning. Z is good. Y is ok, but I don't think is 100% and X has at least one broken line and I can't even see the other one. X is the biggest issue right now. I'm going to have to lift the table to get to some of the hard lines. Luckily I have an HF rolling gantry that came with the shop and it straddles the machine perfectly. I have it in place ready to lift, I just haven't committed to tearing the table apart yet.

And I did finally get the Mazak power up this week. Of course, it sat so long that the battery died and lost all the parameters. Fortunately I go the fully manuals and documentation with it, including the 15 pages of parameters. The first night I spent a solid 45 minutes keying them in, rebooted the control and it fired up and some things were working, but I was still getting some unexpected codes. Most likely I fat fingered one of the params. And in my own stupidity, I couldn't figure out how to get back in and check/edit the parameters so I ended up wiping it again. Luckily someone on Practical machinist sent me the directions on how to try to recover the parameters from EEPROM, and sure enough, they came right in in about 20 seconds. :laughing:

So, got the mazak powered up and verified that all of the functions work. Chuck spins. Turret spins. Tailstock extends and retracts. X and Z both move. I can get X to home but Z will not yet. I'm getting a little binding on the Z way cover and I think it's enough to overload the servo and it errors out. I'm working on getting that cover removed completely. It obviously needs to be fixed and it's missing some of the rubber seals so there's a shit load of chips and grime under it that needs to be cleaned out. According to the guy I bought it from, this machine spent most of it's life modifying some type of bronze and/or brass parts for fuel injectors. Everything inside is coated in a gold and green tarnished bronze dust. I've probably already scraped a good 10 pounds out of it and I've barely started.

Gonna start reading the manual on Mazatrol. Supposedly the conversational side of this machine is decent and most of the simple parts I want to make at first can be programmed right at the control. Eventually I need to figure out what it'll take to interface it with a computer or flash drive like the Fadal.

Did a little rearranging. Spun the mazak 90 degrees from where I original had it and pulled the bridgeport forward a bit. Still not happy with the space, but its like the shop is just a foot or two too narrow to set thing up the way I want.

1700164413961.png

I have so much other shit I should be doing, but I have to poke around this new toy.

I looks like it'll be easy to redrill the base plate, as long as I can physically get the snout of the new motor out far enough to line up with the belt. It also looks like the shaft diameter on the existing motor is around 1-5/8" and anything new is likely going to be 1.5" so that'll be a PITA.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but that motor is fawkin' huuuuge.
1672878861273.png

For reference, this is the 20hp baldor that's sitting around waiting for me to gather the rest of the parts to build an RPC. Easily half the size for twice the HP.
1672878920331.png

Controls are pretty simple. I'll likely run it off a VFD, at least until I get the RPC built, so I'll be able to tap in to these control wires to run the VFD.

The amount of rusty sludge in the bottom of this box makes my think this machine may have been in a shallow flood. Everything else is soaked in oil and grease and there's no reason there should be that much rust in there. There's nothing really mechanical that would have been submerged so it's not a big deal, but kind of strange none the less.

1672879095601.png

Well, it was sketchy as fuck, but it's in the shop. Haven't cleared it's final resting spot yet, but it's pointed at it.

1672873358670.png

It almost didn't free-spool off the trailer and try to go through my shop door either. :laughing:
1672873373593.png

The bad news, is my fear that it has a high voltage motor turned out to be true. The auction house didn't list any voltages on the shit they sold. Some of the smaller stuff that had exposed labels you could get luck enough to read, but not this one.

550v, 10hp and 1800 RPM. Highly likely that this is the original motor to 1948.
1672873997171.png

Plenty of cheap 10hp 230v motors on ebay, so i should be able to repower it without spending a fortune. Bad part is everything modern is a 213 frame, which is quite a bit smaller than the 324 that's in it. I need to poke around some more and see if there are other mounting holes. Otherwise, hopefully it won't be a big deal to make an adapter plate to stick the smaller footprint motor in there.

So it's only been a little over 13 months since I brought the Monarch home. I figured it was finally time to actually get it working. :laughing:

After measuring the old and new motors, I found I needed to lift the new one up about 2.5" and forward a good 3". So I made some slotted pockets out of some scrap 1.5x3" bar that was in one of the bins I bought at the same auction as the monarch. I slotted for 5/8" carriage bolts to lock in to them as I didn't think I'd be able to reach the heads underneath.
1707516071634.png

1707516086531.png

I welded those to a couple pieces of 1" bar, which gave me the 2.5" I needed.

Of course, I bent the pivot rod on the mount plate when I was removing it and didn't have any 5/8" on the rack so I had to order a 2' piece from McMaster. That showed up today and I was able to cut it to size and chamfer the ends on the little lathe and get it back together.

Took a little wrestling, but I was able to bolt the adapter plate to the motor first, roll it up on to some cribbing and then slide it on to the main plate. Actually went way better than I expected.

1707516321296.png

It was also around this time that I noticed the pivot mounts had 3 different slots and I probably could have gotten away with a much shorter and simpler adapter....or none at all. :lmao:

You'll also notice that I ended up with a new pulley on the new motor. Original plan was to try to salvage the old one, but 1) I couldn't get it off the old shaft....but was willing to cut the shaft off and bore it out if necessary and 2) The old shaft was like 1=3/4" and the new is 1-3/8" and I really didn't feel like making a bushing.
Luckily I found the pulley and correct size QD bushing on ebay between two differnt sellers for around $70 total. As a bonus, I was able to find a slightly larger pulley that almost perfectly made up for the slightly slower motor. :smokin:

Still need to check final alignment on the belts and get everything tightened down, but it's a relief to finally have the motor in and be way closer to getting this thing spinning.

Only thing left to do is convert the the control cabinet to 230v from the 560v it was previously powered on. Once again, ebay FTW. I found the two coils for the main contactors for under $20 shipped for the pair and then the 3 overload heaters for about $10 shipped. That should be all I need to get this thing moving on the 230v I have. The 3rd contactor on the upper right is for the coolant pump, which I don't plan on using for a while. I should be able to get a coil for that should the need arise.

These remaining parts should be delivered on Monday and will only take a few minutes to drop in. I'm planning on making up a power cord for it this weekend to feed it from the panel and also need to make a new cable from the contactors to the motors as I'll have more than doubled the amperage by dropping down to 230 and the old wires are way undersized for that. Also need to do a sanity check on the rest of the wiring and make sure I won't be overloading anything.

1707516853501.png

Top Back Refresh