What's new

More "why women live longer than men"

Wonder what front diff that is? 1000hp through it. At first I thought it wasn’t a steer axle, but it turns.

Stress to the axle is lmited by the ability to put power to the ground (traction). That car is a smoke machine, so the axle is probably not as stressed as it might seem.

The axle is a Halibrand quick change with 1-ton knuckles added. The differential is flipped for correct rotation with the engines backwards. I think it's the magnesium 310 axle, which is based on the old style (30's-40's) 3/4 ton Ford common in circle track racing at the time.
IMG_1847.JPG

Last edited:
The axle is a Halibrand quick change with 1-ton knuckles added. The differential is flipped for correct rotation with the engines backwards. I think it's the magnesium 310 axle, which is based on the old style (30's-40's) 3/4 ton Ford common in circle track racing at the time.
IMG_1847.JPG
Looking at that, does the drive shaft come in from the other side and have two gears under that cover to drive the pinion?

Edit, google had the answer. It is like I speculated. It looks like the cover is over two identical gears, but they are not. (Hence the quick change)

Last edited:
Admittedly i'm no geologist, but how does it steer?
The video says he used "WWII 1-ton knuckles". Could be 3/4 ton WC (Powerwagon) or 1-1/2 ton G506, both of which have the steering arms and tie-rod on the rear side.
chevy_1.5ton_18.jpg

I seem to recall that they would even change plugs with the engine running.
Two plugs per cylinder.

Ground one magneto and ground the wire for that cylinder then unground that one and ground the other and change that plug on that cylinder. :confused:

I assume it would make a mess blowing fuel and air at you.

It’s supposed to be the Hindenburg so, a blimp. Shutting down an engine for a bit shouldn’t be a problem.

Dirigible or blimp, I don’t know why they couldn’t shut it down for a bit. Most blimps don’t have access to the engine pods. But in the case of the Hindenburg, they walk all over that thing. Maybe those engines are hard to start up in the thin air.

Top Back Refresh