What's new

Mommy Hauler?

I’m sure these are all things I could google…

With the expedition irs, how’s it handle tongue weight? Doesn’t the irs just cause it to go into negative camber with some tongue weight? I imagine the irs is supple and soft for ride comfort, hence going away from a solid axle. That just seems odd to me as a stable towing platform, but I haven’t driven one or towed yet so maybe I’m turning a non issue into an issue.

I also don’t imagine towing more than half a dozen times a year with it, so it’s not like this is a dedicated tow rig. I have my truck for the heavy stuff.
The 2019 expedition my wife had was stiff as fuck in the rear, like ass end start coming around going over multiple pot holes on freeway or washboard on dirt roads

The 2019 expedition my wife had was stiff as fuck in the rear, like ass end start coming around going over multiple pot holes on freeway or washboard on dirt roads
Huh, that’s kinda surprising. I just assumed the move to IRS was to get a soft supple ass

Huh, that’s kinda surprising. I just assumed the move to IRS was to get a soft supple ass
Agreed, I aired tires down below factory sticker and it helped some but still would do it, It was not your typical soft 1/2 ton rear like a newer burb

I dont think it had any kind of special package on it? and it was a base xlt 3.5, the first gen 10 speed sucked ass clunky as fuck

I’ve always wondered about towing with IRS. Short trips probably aren’t bad, but I think long hauls would kill your tires. It has to change the camber, right?

I’ve always wondered about towing with IRS. Short trips probably aren’t bad, but I think long hauls would kill your tires. It has to change the camber, right?

I'd have to assume you're right. I probably don't even tow 1% of the time. First set of tires I put on it is only half worn at 45k. I wouldn't be worried about long trips, but hauling more often then not. Need to get rear suspension dialed in if that is the case.

I don’t love towing with IRS, personally. It’s not a sag/tire wear thing, I have a Land Rover LR3 and got almost 70k out of a set of BFG AT’s in the back, never rotated them and still had half tread when the sidewall lugs started cracking. They also have air suspension so it self levels at any tongue weight which is sweet. What I don’t like is when you hit a bump on one side, that tire moves out on an arc, which means the ball moves to the side and you feel the trailer sway. It’s not bad but not what you want to feel constantly.

Top Back Refresh