What's new

Mommy Hauler?

fl0w3n

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
NorCal
Currently my wife is in a company truck but with a new baby she’s tired of the suicide doors and the car seat, so we may be switching to her reimbursement program so she can drive what she wants.

She’s not particularly picky but I am :homer:

I’d like something that could still tow a boat or tow a light jeep on a car trailer if needed. Let’s say a towing package capable around 7,500 LBS.
It also needs to be 2018 or newer for the program, so unfortunately my dreams of an Excursion are out :shaking:

The only thing that really comes to mind is a 2018-2020 Tahoe / Yukon, especially the Yukon Denali for the 6.2

As far as I know everything else in that year range is already IRS and I am not sure about towing with IRS.

Is there anything the brain trust has experience with that we should look at? I was a big fan of GM pre-bail out, but haven’t owned anything post 07/08 from them when it went to garbage. Is 2020 long enough that they kinda had their shit together by then, or is there issues I should be concerned about with a 2020 30-50k mile 6.2 or interior falling apart?

My other thought that would take some convincing on her side is a crew cab 5’4” short bed F150 with a carpet kit and paint matched shell. No 3rd row capabilities but tons of
dry “cargo” storage and probably similar in size to a Suburban.

Pull the passenger side of the split bench. Stick the kid seat in the pass side 2nd row.

You get a ton more grocery space and way better access to the kid without having to add anything to the fleet.

Pull the passenger side of the split bench. Stick the kid seat in the pass side 2nd row.

You get a ton more grocery space and way better access to the kid without having to add anything to the fleet.
Are you talking about in the current truck? It's an extended cab with suicide doors, that wouldn't solve the suicide doors being annoying in a parking lot.
expedition max? Eco boost, good for 9k?
What year? Do you have personal experience with one, google is telling me they're a ~6k towing capacity

Are you talking about in the current truck? It's an extended cab with suicide doors, that wouldn't solve the suicide doors being annoying in a parking lot.

What year? Do you have personal experience with one, google is telling me they're a ~6k towing capacity

Independent of my obvious Ford bias, I've driven quite a few 2018+ Escalade, Yukon and Suburbans while on business travel and I have been less than impressed with their fit and finish - and the fuel economy was atrocious with the 6.2. The Yukon and Escalade got about 13.5 mpg on the highway and I was not driving this thing to the redline or going very fast.

Yeah. I thought you just needed more access because the 2nd row wasn't wide enough to get the infant seas in any out easily. Pulling the front seat would solve that. But if your wife just can't handle two doors then yeah, crew cab would solve that.

Neighbor hauls his toyota truggy with a 2014ish Escalade. It pulls up the mountain faster than I thought it would.

Independent of my obvious Ford bias, I've driven quite a few 2018+ Escalade, Yukon and Suburbans while on business travel and I have been less than impressed with their fit and finish - and the fuel economy was atrocious with the 6.2. The Yukon and Escalade got about 13.5 mpg on the highway and I was not driving this thing to the redline or going very fast.
Oh interesting, even the regular Expedition has a 9k with the 3.73's, that's good. Cleary I haven't spent much time Googling this, hence the thread :homer:

Have you towed with an Expedition? I remember my mom had one of the current-ish gen Explorers and that thing just felt weird to me on the freeway if you did any sort of high speed maneuver. I assumed it was the fat ass and IRS just acting funny.

I've grown into a Ford bias myself over the past ~5 years after realizing all the work trucks I've had being Ford have held up exceptionally well to the field abuse and mileage. But there's just no options left for a body on frame, V8, solid rear axle SUV that shares more in common with a truck than it does with a car... with GM finally moving to IRS in 2021 that was the death of it from what I can recall off the top of my head, unless maybe an oddball Nissan or Toyota SUV has a solid rear still.
Yeah. I thought you just needed more access because the 2nd row wasn't wide enough to get the infant seas in any out easily. Pulling the front seat would solve that. But if your wife just can't handle two doors then yeah, crew cab would solve that.
Yeah, those doors are a PITA in a parking lot.
Neighbor hauls his toyota truggy with a 2014ish Escalade. It pulls up the mountain faster than I thought it would.
I had an old 01 I think 2500 Burb with the 6.0 and it moved stuff fine, but it sucked up grades with the 4l80. I imagine the 6 or 10 speed would be awesome with a 6.0 or 6.2

I had an old 01 I think 2500 Burb with the 6.0 and it moved stuff fine, but it sucked up grades with the 4l80. I imagine the 6 or 10 speed would be awesome with a 6.0 or 6.2

I race up the mountain with a trailer, and he actually kept up with me in my 04 F350 4.10s Tuned with a cam. He said the trans just held it in the RPM band. I want one to re-gear and make into a fun stoplight car.

No personal experience, a buddy likes his. I know the gvwr changes with the long wheelbase models.

The 2019+ 5.3 and 6.2 have been hit or miss on eating lifters. I have a 2019 and it’s been good for 80k, although it likes to burn oil. The 2020-21s seem to have had more issues. There were a bunch of 5.3 and 6.2 that ate lifters under warranty.

The other thing to watch out for is the 8 speed and glitchy GM electronics.

We have an '18 Yukon Denali, it's been good for the 3 years we've owned it but it's only got ~45k on it. The mileage seems decent to me for what it is, it's no Prius but it's definitely better than the '05 it replaced. I also heard to avoid the 8 speed; '18 was the first year for the 10 speed. We haven't towed anything with it, I don't think the decorative cover has ever been off the hitch. The Tahoe was also available with the 6.2/10 speed, but was not common. When we were shopping, there wasn't a big price difference between the Tahoe Premiers, Yukon Denalis, or the Escalades. It's the wife's car, and she preferred the styling on the GMC.

The 2019+ 5.3 and 6.2 have been hit or miss on eating lifters. I have a 2019 and it’s been good for 80k, although it likes to burn oil. The 2020-21s seem to have had more issues. There were a bunch of 5.3 and 6.2 that ate lifters under warranty.

The other thing to watch out for is the 8 speed and glitchy GM electronics.
Your 2019 is a 5.3 or 6.2?

Is the cylinder deactivation still a thing? How's your interior holding up after 80k?

I know kids are going to spill shit and make messes, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be annoyed by buttons breaking or wearing out or shit that doesn't work, or bad rattles :mad3:
We have an '18 Yukon Denali, it's been good for the 3 years we've owned it but it's only got ~45k on it. The mileage seems decent to me for what it is, it's no Prius but it's definitely better than the '05 it replaced. I also heard to avoid the 8 speed; '18 was the first year for the 10 speed. We haven't towed anything with it, I don't think the decorative cover has ever been off the hitch. The Tahoe was also available with the 6.2/10 speed, but was not common. When we were shopping, there wasn't a big price difference between the Tahoe Premiers, Yukon Denalis, or the Escalades. It's the wife's car, and she preferred the styling on the GMC.
Oldest I think we can go is 2018, so that means 10 speed. How's the interior held up after 3 years?

You're pretty much stuck with irs unless you go with the newest tundra or the fleet only gm 2500 burb?

We did this about 5 years ago, and the wife wanted a truck, despite 3 kids :laughing:

2015 2.7 F150 with a shell has been great didn't do a carpet kit, as I don't see the point. I did do a nice bed liner that was a little web to bridge the tailgate gap. It's had lots of shit that I wouldn't want to put in the back of a $40k+ suv. Truck parts, fuel, fuel cans, small camper, ect. It's also towed more than I ever intended, and was surprisingly good.

Only thing that I don't like is the shell it's self, I read that snug top was the "best" but it's still a kinda pos and was not cheap.

If you don't care about looks, fuel mileage or interior that feels like it's 15 years outdated, a 5.7 sequoia would be solid. My sister in law has one, and they love it. The new one is 3.5tt/10 speed like the ford and went back to a solid axle, but I don't know that they have proven themselves to be reliable for me at least.

Is the cylinder deactivation still a thing? How's your interior holding up after 80k?

I know kids are going to spill shit and make messes, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be annoyed by buttons breaking or wearing out or shit that doesn't work, or bad rattles :mad3:

Oldest I think we can go is 2018, so that means 10 speed. How's the interior held up after 3 years?

I have the 5.3. They have DFM on the latest gen.

It’s pretty much any new vehicle interior wise. Mine is used as a truck, so it gets beat on. I’ve noticed some wear on the drivers seat. Nothing broken, but some buttons like to stick.

Ours has cylinder deactivation, it will switch back and forth from V4 to V8 (there's a little indicator on the dash) on the highway. It does not have the start/stop BS that a lot of newer cars have. The interior is holding up good, no issues. It had ~25k on it when we bought it, and was super clean (I doubt the third row had ever been used, and the plastic was still on the remote for the rear seat entertainment screen). I bought the full OEM floor liner kit right when we bought it, and would recommend it. Only think I can recall having to fix on it is the power strut for the lift gate, and it was an easy plug-n-play deal.

I have a '13 expedition with IRS and it tows like a dream. Great vehicle for some of my needs. Pretty good for road trips and light towing. Nothing about newer expeditions gets me going, but IRS wouldn't push me away from them. Price tag and nagging issues might. I just drove a 2023 rented suburban about 300 miles on 2 lane and 4 lane roads at the speed limit and got 18.8 mpg. I was impressed all around with the vehicle. Tons of space, great fit and finish.

I imagine the 6 or 10 speed would be awesome with a 6.0 or 6.2
There is nothing awesome about a 6.0 6 speed. I've had two of them. Jam on the gas and it doesn't really go that much faster, it just gets louder. That is, unless you tune the oppressive torque management out of it, but that just makes it more responsive until the tranny shits the bed in half the time it would have anyways. And way shittier mileage than it deserves to command for it's (lack of) power.

It truly blows my mind that there's fanboys of that motor out there.

There is nothing awesome about a 6.0 6 speed. I've had two of them. Jam on the gas and it doesn't really go that much faster, it just gets louder. That is, unless you tune the oppressive torque management out of it, but that just makes it more responsive until the tranny shits the bed in half the time it would have anyways. And way shittier mileage than it deserves to command for it's (lack of) power.

I was not a fanboy, I went from a LBZ duramax to a 6.0 4l80 combo and man it was a bummer towing the boat up a grade. It would make it sure, but banging 1st and 2nd was not an enjoyable experience. I chalked part of it up to coming straight off diesel life, but eventually came to learn it just sucked.

Not surprised to hear it still blows with the 6 speed

I have a '13 expedition with IRS and it tows like a dream. Great vehicle for some of my needs. Pretty good for road trips and light towing. Nothing about newer expeditions gets me going, but IRS wouldn't push me away from them. Price tag and nagging issues might. I just drove a 2023 rented suburban about 300 miles on 2 lane and 4 lane roads at the speed limit and got 18.8 mpg. I was impressed all around with the vehicle. Tons of space, great fit and finish.
Good to hear some personal experience.
What type of weight did you tow?

Dodge journey on a dolly, 18' deep v boat about 2k plus trailer maybe 2500 total, small boats. Pulls them all like they're not there, except a little lack of power from a 10 year old 320 horse 5.4. 6 speed is great for highway, not sure yet if I want a 10 speed. Very planted, stable, and smooth driving and towing vehicle. Not the longer version so relatively short wheel base. I think it is rated for 9600 towing with wd hitch. I read on forums lots of people less than pleased towing over 7k with newer models. They are not HD trucks. I also live in flat land, so some hills but no real grades.

I also got 13.5 mpg pulling the 18' boat on 8 hours of interstate at 75. A little impressed with that.

My buddy’s 2021 Traverse has already had a new transmission in it.

IMO anything after 2007 from GM is a giant, worthless pile of shit. If you live where there is salt the rockers will be gone in less than 5 years.

I'm always here to shit talk the 6.0 gm :flipoff2:

I bought a 2500 burb after reading how great the 6.0/4l80e was. Sold it quickly after both were plagued with issues.

I'll admit that I probably had one on the shittier end of the spectrum, but I still think the 6.0 is just too good at turning fuel into meh power. I'd rather have a 454 or 460 and get the same mileage and at least even if I don't make more power I can say I have a big block :flipoff2:

Seriously why not a sequoia?
I’ve never owned a Toyota. Not saying I wouldn’t, just doesn’t come to top of mind. Not the biggest fan of the styling. But if it legitimately checks boxes we’ll probably check it out. Sounds like there’s not much options anyway.

I wish we could pull off a fucking excursion :homer:

I just spent 600 miles in a suburban this week with the 5.3/10 speed and got 20.5 mpg on the highway. I was shocked. That was hand calculated. I wasn’t easy on it as I drive like a jackass in rental cars.

With that said the interior was falling apart for a vehicle that was only a few years old.

Expedition is probably the way to go.

I’ve never owned a Toyota. Not saying I wouldn’t, just doesn’t come to top of mind. Not the biggest fan of the styling. But if it legitimately checks boxes we’ll probably check it out. Sounds like there’s not much options anyway.

I wish we could pull off a fucking excursion :homer:

Excursion is cool and all, but if you're used to newer stuff, it's going to feel like a huge step back.

Realistically, and sadly, a newer expedition or suburban will do everything way better.

Excursion is cool and all, but if you're used to newer stuff, it's going to feel like a huge step back.

Realistically, and sadly, a newer expedition or suburban will do everything way better.
1716562759876.gif

I’m sure these are all things I could google…

With the expedition irs, how’s it handle tongue weight? Doesn’t the irs just cause it to go into negative camber with some tongue weight? I imagine the irs is supple and soft for ride comfort, hence going away from a solid axle. That just seems odd to me as a stable towing platform, but I haven’t driven one or towed yet so maybe I’m turning a non issue into an issue.

I also don’t imagine towing more than half a dozen times a year with it, so it’s not like this is a dedicated tow rig. I have my truck for the heavy stuff.

Top Back Refresh