What's new

Modern professionalism and work ethic - Am I getting old or??

I'm early in my career and my give-a-fuck is already dry. 29 YO, been working as a manufacturing engineer for 5 years. I sell my company just enough of my energy to make me feel satisfied that I'm not a total piece of shit, and nothing more. I collect my paycheck and I spend the rest of my energy on experiences that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

I really like my job, my employer, and my boss/coworkers. I also really like working. I love learning new skills and being able to help people. I am not a lazy person, but after about 20 hours of it, I'm ready to shift my focus elsewhere. I can be very high performance for short stints. I have no problem putting in the time when there is an actual emergency that calls for it. I cannot be very high performance for 40 hours a week, week after week, year after year, and when everything is a priority, nothing is. I don't give a fuck about anything anymore.

Why anybody would go "above and beyond" or put their all into a job that is based on punching a clock doesn't compute for me. Its one thing if you're an owner, or if you're getting paid by the job where more effort equals more reward, but I show up and leave at the same time everyday and get paid the same no matter what. The work never ends. There is no reason to "get ahead". I expend minimum energy because that is what I am incentivized to do.

I'm fucking burnt. I've become resentful and it has spilled into my personal life. Corporations have gutted so many perks and have cut quality out of the products and services they offer. Everything is about the bottom line, and its really starting to show in every aspect of life. Everything is caught in regulatory capture. It seems like nothing is working towards making life better globally.

edit: Sorry for the rant. I had intentions to make this a much more thought out response rather than the emotional BS I just spewed, but that's all I had the give-a-fuck to get out right now.
I was about your age when I started thinking about leaving my job I'd been at for 9 years. I don't think you are the guy some of us have been talking about.
You seem to be able to "turn it on" when necessary" which is better than not caring at all IMO. As someone who worked in manufacturing for 13 years in 2 different stints I know exactly what you are referring to, if it's in the context of large corp (which would be my guess as to where the prevailing attitude comes from). If you have talent, go find an up-and-coming company to work for, or one that is developing a new line or getting into a new market segment. I'm guessing, but it sounds like you are working on something mature where they are beating down all the margins.
You've got a long life ahead of you, it would be a shame to waste it on something you don't like.

Would you say things fall through the cracks when you're doing this? Like.. does the ball get dropped on things you're working on? Or is it just enough to keep things going?
Overall its just enough to keep things going. Not that I don't occasionally drop the ball on something, or make stupid mistakes because I wasn't as attentive as I could've been, but I try to put my all into the things that I do.

I've gotten much better at saying no and managing people's expectations. I only have so much mental bandwidth, and I've learned a lot about how to work with my strengths and weaknesses. I am a very detail oriented person and I am capable of work that far exceeds the bare minimum, but I need to be in the right headspace to achieve that.

I am happy when I can work in that headspace. When I'm working in the garage fabbing shit or wrenching, I am in that headspace. I love it, it feels great. But when I have 15 tasks to do at work and I'm getting pinged for status updates on each on while I'm trying to put out whatever fire I have to deal with that day, my give-a-fuck wears thin, and shit falls through the cracks.

Overall its just enough to keep things going.
I'd actually be fine with that. Lately I've noticed people just being straight checked out. Completely unavailable, letting things go they were responsible, and not willing to step up and clean up a mess they made.

I've got another great story about a large telecom that I experienced last night. I'll have to share when I get more time, because it's impressive.

Figured out it was fortinet huh? I guess it was pretty obvious in my rant. Maybe my issue is layers of government BS in that case. We've got 2 HA paired firewalls and some core switches that actually get funded by a larger state agency for us. They do this for state organizations all across California, and while we could choose to pay our own way, the savings is too good. Anyway, this agency contracts a managed security services vendor provider to support that hardware(the 1st and 2nd tier support guys I talked to). They handle the support contracts on our hardware, so even though I knew the firewall was dead, I couldn't RMA it myself through fortinet. It's under a special contract. This is also why I can't talk to fortinet directly, and this dude has to get a fortinet engineer on a conference call instead. Basically, that lady sucked, but I can't do shit about it because the vendor is actually their customer, not me.

I did go back and let the managed security services guys know that whole thing sucked. I'm still technically not the entity paying their bills, but I'm kinda-sorta their customer.

We have two other sites with fortinet firewalls and my government rep over there has been awesome.

It just seems like there are more and more people not giving enough of a fawk to be successful at what they're doing. I've got more stories like these about other aspects of the industry, and damn it's getting hard to find reliable people anymore.

about 10 years ago, we were rearchitecting things at work. We were looking at all the various ways to solve problems and so, since we were getting peppered with calls from Fortinet, so, we agreed to meet, at their place, with some conditions.

We sent them our design and we specifically asked for a demonstration of their hardware and software working to support a single, specific peripheral device.

They said, 'oh not a problem'. The day came, I told one of our guys, 'just in case, bring a brand new, in the box, device, so that we'll get to see it work out of the box.'

We get there, modest offices from where I came from before retiring, but fine. They kick off the meeting with their history and they introduce all their people being specific that 3 of the individuals are CCIE's. I am one of the earliest CCIE's from when the designation was invented. Heck, I wrote a bunch of the curriculum for the cisco academies and designed the first instances at Colorado Mountain College.

As you probably know, you can search current CCIE's... One of my outside engineers hopped right on it and confirmed... the 3 CCIE's weren't.

We called it out. First thing. A great relationship can't start with bullshit and lies.

They were embarrassed but continued the lie saying they were ABOUT to get their certification. They were all CCNP's.

They continued their presentation and we listened politely and they were about to dive in to the next section and asked if we had questions. I politely asked that before we go further, we'd made a single request in order to come down for the meeting, could they show that before going on or at least show us when we would see that.

The presenter feigned surprise and said that he had not heard that request. I pulled up the email and read it to the group. The sales guy sheepishly said, 'Oh, yes, we can show that. We reached out to for one and we didn't get a response.' I nodded and said, 'who did you contact?' He could not remember.

The vice president said, 'well this shouldn't be a problem, hell, we'll go buy one and test it and get back to you because ANYTHING will work like what you are asking for, so I can ASSURE you there will be no problem.'

Our network engineer pulled the device out of his bag and said, 'here is one. since it is so simple and not an issue, why don't we see you do it here and now.'

They couldn't get it to work. They came up with a shitty, half assed connection that limited the device and not in a good way.

The vice president was embarrassed and promised that 'no matter what' they would get it working if we would agree to work with them.

We didn't stay for lunch, we wished the CCNP's luck on their exams and bid them goodbye.

They have a decent product, but they were jackasses and used to working with people who will accept nonsense. In my previous life at the fruit company, we fired pinheads like that once we sniffed them out. Life is too short.

that is my fortinet story.

Let's hand in to Gen Z though. They make me look like an absolute unit, and I'm a lazy mother F-er.

But on point, work sucks. I have a great job and I'd still rather be doing almost anything else. "Workaholics" or "hustlers" or whatever just make me sad; wasting their lives away. There's not a day that passes that makes me wish I would've worked more. Granted I busted my ass when I was just starting out, but now I'm gonna coast all the way to retirement. Gen Z has it figured out, good for them. I wouldn't work hard either if I knew houses were selling for twice their worth with an interest rate 5 points higher than the generation before them.

Let's hand in to Gen Z though. They make me look like an absolute unit, and I'm a lazy mother F-er.

But on point, work sucks. I have a great job and I'd still rather be doing almost anything else. "Workaholics" or "hustlers" or whatever just make me sad; wasting their lives away. There's not a day that passes that makes me wish I would've worked more. Granted I busted my ass when I was just starting out, but now I'm gonna coast all the way to retirement. Gen Z has it figured out, good for them. I wouldn't work hard either if I knew houses were selling for twice their worth with an interest rate 5 points higher than the generation before them.
if you love it, it isn't work. If you are chasing goals, even if they are someone else's, it is fun and challenging. But, if it just isn't your thing, every minute you spend there is wasted.

I went hard for many years, lots of pressure, lots of challenges and I loved it. I never complained about the time or the effort and it was great. When I left that life for a new life, I had new goals and while I still work hard, I can control the efficiency, so I have lots more free time, less stress and I get to do more 'outside work things' that I love. I will shift again in 3 years and reset the limits again for more 'away from work' time and that will be great.

It doesn't matter who 'has it figured out' it only matters if you find what works for you and you make a plan and work that plan.

Mindless aggression and world dominator types are annoying and cause a lot of trouble. When I spot them, I marginalize them.

I was about your age when I started thinking about leaving my job I'd been at for 9 years. I don't think you are the guy some of us have been talking about.
You seem to be able to "turn it on" when necessary" which is better than not caring at all IMO. If you have talent, go find an up-and-coming company to work for, or one that is developing a new line or getting into a new market segment.
You've got a long life ahead of you, it would be a shame to waste it on something you don't like.
Agree. Dont burn yourself out...

I made the mistake of staying for over 10 yrs at a company. For me 60-70 hr weeks was the norm(hours were 730-530) on salary, sometimes gone 30-50 nights a year. It was purchased by VP's midway through my employment there.
My dad was born in 46'/business owner and raised me to go all in, and I'm Loyal by nature.
I was all in for about 8 of those years, whatever it took, I was there, nights or weekends. In the end, I just turned it on when needed.
As the new owners were making payments on buying the company, they also increased their frivolous company expenditures (hunting trips, golf memberships, game tickets, home remodels etc etc) exponentially over the years (I'm talking 200-250k a year in a 15m gross company), they continued to tell us PM's we weren't doing it right and we "weren't making any money" I knew better, just didnt have the numbers, And didnt want to believe it. Bonuses were meager, but completely stopped the 1st year after the purchase. They asked us to take a pay cut during covid, yet I/we never stopped working and my job's profits actually increased...yet still not making $
I got burned the fuck out, found another job, accepted and then my current made me an offer ~25% more with WFH 4 days a week to stay. Against my better judgement i stayed. Rode that out another year till they had almost sunk themselves. I finally got to peek behind the curtains the last year and got out while i still could.

Now, at 40, I work for someone else in a different corner of the construction industry with a healthy environment. Last year they gave me a larger bonus than I've ever made. Yet, I'm fighting the urge not to go all in, based solely on the mind fuck of my previous environment and me allowing it to go on too long. I am not the same employee I once was..

Hopefully my rambling makes sense.

when I have 15 tasks to do at work and I'm getting pinged for status updates on each on while I'm trying to put out whatever fire I have to deal with that day, my give-a-fuck wears thin, and shit falls through the cracks.
I think this is a problem across the board. Internet & smartphones have created a monster waiting to be fed useless information 24/7, the important core task at hand be damned

You seem to be able to "turn it on" when necessary" which is better than not caring at all IMO. As someone who worked in manufacturing for 13 years in 2 different stints I know exactly what you are referring to, if it's in the context of large corp (which would be my guess as to where the prevailing attitude comes from). If you have talent, go find an up-and-coming company to work for, or one that is developing a new line or getting into a new market segment. I'm guessing, but it sounds like you are working on something mature where they are beating down all the margins.

Thank you for this. It echoes a lot of what I've been thinking for the last couple years. The tolerable days and bad days come and go in waves. A few months ago I had my résumé polished up, but never ending up applying anywhere else. Halfway because every job ad I read made me want to go die in a bus in the woods, and the other half being that a job change likely means moving, which has its own challenges between the current housing market and my fiancée would also need to find a new job.

It sure would be a shame to waste my life on something I don't like, but god damn it sure is where the money is at. Quite the balancing act this whole "life" thing is.

I think this is a problem across the board. Internet & smartphones have created a monster waiting to be fed useless information 24/7, the important core task at hand be damned
The internet has given us unreal expectations on how long shit takes, and how long it actually took in a PRE-Internet world.

I ponder this. Did the exact same amount of work get accomplished in the exact same amount of time before the internet as now. Just then it took 8 hours, and now it takes 30 minutes, with 7 and a half hours of fuck off time. But I bet it would be we turn out MORE in 30 minutes, than we did in an 8 hour work day PRE-Internet.

The internet has given us unreal expectations on how long shit takes, and how long it actually took in a PRE-Internet world.

I ponder this. Did the exact same amount of work get accomplished in the exact same amount of time before the internet as now. Just then it took 8 hours, and now it takes 30 minutes, with 7 and a half hours of fuck off time. But I bet it would be we turn out MORE in 30 minutes, than we did in an 8 hour work day PRE-Internet.
I was thinking about this the other day while watching a doc and they were interviewing a CEO in the 70s (Boeing maybe) and I commented to my wife "it must have been awesome working back then and being basically unreachable when you leave the building". Like how would you even get ahold of a CEO if they weren't near the phone, let alone the underlings under them pre internet/cell phone. Work smart phones shackles you to the company in a lot of cases, unless you are obviously in an on call type role.

Here's a passage from the biography of one of the pioneers of water/methanol injection. This happened in 1942. Teams at two major companies fucking off and not doing what was asked. The third assigning the work out to a junior engineer and submitting it verbatim.

One day in early 1942, Frank was informed that the front office needed to test three
different fuel formulations and prepare a report for a meeting of engine makers, fuel
suppliers, and at the Washington Office of Petroleum Coordination (OPC). OPC had
to choose a fuel that would power the entire Allied aerial war effort. Frank went
looking for a test engine. The only one available was X-80, an experimental nine-
cylinder engine consisting of one row of an R-2800. X-80, having just completed an
unrelated series of tests, was in bad need of overhaul. However, there simply was
not time to rework the engine. Frank began a grueling seventy-two hour testing
marathon, using up nine engine operators and nine helpers in the process. He never
slept or rested during the entire period. This testing was done at high power settings
to determine how much manifold pressure an engine could tolerate at different
altitudes and induction air temperatures. This meant that the engine was always
running on the very edge of detonation. Detonation testing was especially difficult
because no detonation detection instrumentation was available. One had to intently
watch the exhaust stacks for small puffs of smoke and sparks of white-hot carbon
that broke loose from the piston and cylinder at the onset of detonation. When this
showed up, the engine had to be immediately throttled back, or it would be
destroyed.
Numb and exhausted from the noise, vibration, and stress of the ordeal, Frank
hastily authored a terse three-page report that showed one of the three fuels to be
clearly superior. He forwarded the report to Pratt & Whitney fuel guru, Earl Ryder,
who was also the Pratt & Whitney representative to OPC. Frank then went home
and collapsed into bed.
Frank found out later that Ryder was ashamed of this admittedly meager offering.
Having no other choice, Ryder trudged off to the meeting fully expecting to be
embarrassed by both Wright Aeronautical and Allison. The meeting began and it
was soon time to present results. Only Ryder had anything at all to show. Neither
Wright nor Allison had even completed the tests, and both representatives had come
to the meeting empty-handed. Based on seventy-two hours of testing by a twenty-
three year old test engineer, the fuel formulation used for the remainder of World
War II was selected.

Another interesting series of tests that Frank performed using X-80 attempted to
quantify just how lean the engine could be reliably run. Frank discovered that with
proper leaning the range of an airplane could be nearly doubled. However, the
procedure for running so lean was one so critical and difficult that Frank thought it
beyond the scope of what was to be expected of the average pilot. Years later, both
Pratt & Whitney and Wright Aeronautical used these same techniques on airline
engines to achieve ocean-hopping range. The addition of a torque meter on each
engine allowed the flight engineer to lean the engine with great accuracy and
achieve the range that Frank’s earlier experiments had predicted

People were always checked out where and when they could be. Dumbass boomers and honorary boomers with their rose colored glasses won't see that.

Here's a passage from the biography of one of the pioneers of water/methanol injection. This happened in 1942. Teams at two major companies fucking off and not doing what was asked. The third assigning the work out to a junior engineer and submitting it verbatim.

People were always checked out where and when they could be. Dumbass boomers and honorary boomers with their rose colored glasses won't see that.
You are taking the complete wrong lesson from this. Your conclusion shows how far your head is up your ass.

This is a lesson in someone taking initiative and getting something done.

You aren't Frank dumbass, and you never will be. You are pathetic.

I manage a bunch of younger people and I am amazed at their lack of caring and their general entitlement attitudes. My boss hasn't been giving anyone any written disciplinary forms for attendance, and since I was sick of it, I started handing out write ups like candy. I have multiple people on their final writeups for attendance. I had one guy ,who's on a final for attendance, literally ask me, "what happens if I'm late again? because I know it's going to happen." I looked him dead in the eye and told him if he wakes up late again and knows he can't make it to work on time, he might as well stay home, because I'm terminating his employment. People still aren't getting it. They all feel like it's ok to just show up late every day, and no consequences will happen. I'm sick of it, and I'm ready to start firing people for it. This generation of younger workers is lazy AF, and I have no idea how most of them are surviving on less than 40 hrs a week.

I fired a guy that was chronically late and had been warned several times. So sure enough it's 10 minutes past 8 and we're unloading the trucks and no Flavio, (that's his real name :laughing:), so I call him and he's like "I'll be there in 10 minutes". Well 20 minutes later he shows up and I tell him "We don't need you today, or any other days going forward.), and he says, "That sucks, you could have told me that over the phone", and I said, "That's right I could have told you that over the phone".

he's like "I'll be there in 10 minutes". Well 20 minutes later he shows up
I forget if it was my parents or a family friend, but early on someone told me:
"If you have to call someone and tell them you're going to be late, make sure you give yourself enough time to arrive when you tell them when you'll be there. It's worse if you're late twice."

arse_sidewards FYI we've done fuel testing at our lab. I understand why, even in 1942, why those big companies didn't get their shit done in that time schedule. We run into this all the time. As an independent lab, we have a bunch more flexibility to get work done on a tight schedule than many big companies. In the case of several, we even built their test apparatus and they still can't cut through the red tape fast enough on time-critical projects. Some of these are even DoD projects. And giving it to a young guy (though a 23yo in '42 is probably equivalent wisdom and experience to a 33yo today, I've worked with plenty 23yo engineers to have a well-educated opinion on this) was probably the right thing to do.
One of the companies we've done a bunch of testing for routinely gives big projects to very inexperience engineers. They are fun to work with, mainly because they are learning in real time. Its fun to see them go do stuff, then find out later they "weren't supposed to make those decisions". That backfires when they hire a scared 'yes-man', which unfortunately many of the young guys are these days. They are so unwilling to take any kind of risk its appalling to me. Fuck, I remember when I was teaching myself to program Siemens CNCs out of sheer boredom at that age, stumbling into many things I could make that we'd never done before. Hell, I eventually had one of the factory Application Engineers want to take my program back to headquarters with him because the shafts I was machining were supposedly "impossible" to make on their equipment. Did I know the equipment cost 750k in 20 years ago dollars? Yes. Did I understand the gravity of fucking them up? A bit, but not really. I learned hard and fast, mainly because I didn't know better.
If there's any lesson that should be taken from the story you shared is this: If you're young, you should go hard and put everything into it. You never know how much it matters to do the best you can until its over. What if Frank wouldn't have done that? Considering we can't calculate probabilities regarding alternate histories, we can only speculate. Maybe one of the big companies finally got around to it, but tweaked the results to favor their "preferred fuel" because kickbacks or something. Maybe because of that B17s and B24s fall out of the sky over Germany. Maybe the lack of air superiority as quickly as we got it, or our inability to dent the German war machine led to them being able to divert more troops or materiel to the Eastern front, defeating Russia, then bringing the full force of the Nazi power (along with the Bakken oil fields output) to bear on the Allies.
Thank you for sharing that story. I'd never heard it before, and I will use it as an example to our interns and young engineers why they should kick ass at work.:grinpimp:

Fuckin' employee mindsets. Forever a wagie.

Shit changes when its your own ass on the line and your own reputation you are securing.

My work is a reflection of me. I've always operated that way. Either do what your doing to the best of your ability, or don't do it at all. Half assing shit is just gay.

I think was arse was trying to convey is that companies now do that weekly, not once in a lifetime anymore. 10,000 fires to put out with 4 people, 2 of which are actually trained on the job because they proved they could do it once 12 years ago in a time crunch with a HUGE bonus on the line. They will literally work you to the bone and not think twice about it now and then complain if you complain.

I think was arse was trying to convey is that companies now do that weekly, not once in a lifetime anymore. 10,000 fires to put out with 4 people, 2 of which are actually trained on the job because they proved they could do it once 12 years ago in a time crunch with a HUGE bonus on the line. They will literally work you to the bone and not think twice about it now and then complain if you complain.
Yup! This!

You are taking the complete wrong lesson from this. Your conclusion shows how far your head is up your ass.

This is a lesson in someone taking initiative and getting something done.

You aren't Frank dumbass, and you never will be. You are pathetic.
I was really expecting some piece of shit to reply to the tune of "if it were normal for that shit to happen they wouldn't have gone out o their way to mention it" but I'll admit you are so monumentally stupid beyond my expectations that you managed to surprise me with a curve ball on that one. :laughing:

The dude did a job. Wasn't a pleasant job (because his boss half-assed it by assigning it to one dude) but he did it. Typical of a yet to be burned out fresh out of school worker Meanwhile two other legit companies zero-assed it. Maybe they all figured someone else would do it. Maybe they all decided it was unimportant. In any case they phoned it in leaving the effort of the one dude who made any effort to be the only result.

It takes some backwards thinking flyover state filter bubble (edit: no offense intended for those living in landlocked states other than Iowa :flipoff2:) thinking to look at that pattern of events and draw that the conclusion that it was some feat of aspirational work ethic when literally every other party involved dropped the ball.

And then you go on, in your second post to make excuses for the people who couldn't get the shit done, despite the whole premise of your verbal vomit that adorns the last 11 pages of this thread being generally in condemnation of slackers. The obvious double standard you're applying here is just that, obvious.

Last edited:
Whether you realize it or not, this is a thread about Judeo Christian Work Ethic. (which is somehow uniquely American)

And as someone who would probably be considered an atheist by many, I wonder what effect this has.

I believe we have one life, and that life is limited to THIS planet, in this body.
Everyday I have is incredibly important, because when this life is over, there ain't another one in a different dimension. Whatever I do in this life is all i get.

So do I spend my limited time on this rock concerned about my contribution to Mega-Corp, or MY TIME I get to spend with my loved ones?

I think this plays some element in this topic.

So do I spend my limited time on this rock concerned about my contribution to Mega-Corp, or MY TIME I get to spend with my loved ones?
Fair point. I'm not a religious person, but I was totally fine with spending 40 hours working in an office in exchange for money to do cool stuff with the limited amount of the rest of my time each week. Then I had kids, and suddenly spending that much time working rather than spending time with them sucked a lot more.

I was really expecting some piece of shit to reply to the tune of "if it were normal for that shit to happen they wouldn't have gone out o their way to mention it" but I'll admit you are so monumentally stupid beyond my expectations that you managed to surprise me with a curve ball on that one. :laughing:
Proof that you are the dumb one here. You are such a worthless pile of human wreckage it's no wonder you choose to live amongst those who have ruined our country and way of life.
The dude did a job. Wasn't a pleasant job (because his boss half-assed it by assigning it to one dude) but he did it. Typical of a yet to be burned out fresh out of school worker Meanwhile two other legit companies zero-assed it. Maybe they all figured someone else would do it. Maybe they all decided it was unimportant. In any case they phoned it in leaving the effort of the one dude who made any effort to be the only result.

It takes some backwards thinking flyover state filter bubble thinking to look at that pattern of events and draw that the conclusion that it was some feat of aspirational work ethic when literally every other party involved dropped the ball.

And then you go on, in your second post to make excuses for the people who couldn't get the shit done, despite the whole premise of your verbal vomit that adorns the last 11 pages of this thread being generally in condemnation of slackers. The obvious double standard you're applying here is just that, obvious.
You have no idea what the other companies did from that article, do you? What double standard, prove that the others just 'fucked off'. Perhaps you should learn how to form a thought without invoking boomers or claiming superiority? God damn, you are such a piece of shit. Use some goddamn reasoning here and you will know you have no evidence to support anything you puked onto a keyboard and fall back on a bunch of catchphrase jargon only meant to belittle, not to enlighten.

Fuckstart a blender:flipoff2:

Oh, ETA. Since you have no ambition, no heirs, aren't building towards something, are a perpetual child living in an adult body, you are destined to get a horrible debilitating disease that will take your faculties enough that you will be unable to end it all and will beg the nurse in the .gov care facility with your eyes every day to kill you, but will lack the ability to communicate it to anybody. Once you have suffered in that state long enough, begging for the darkness you have tried to spread for decades of your worthless life, some large black orderly will fuck you to death, you being able to experience everything but cry out to nobody, no kids, no wife, nobody to care for arse. Think of me and this post with your last.
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Or, you can choose to actually reason and argue a point without being such a worthless entitled bitch, and maybe one of us will come visit:laughing:

Last edited:

I ponder this also, from the construction side.

Growing up in the business and probing my dad for info when he was still around.

Somethings post internet are faster, sending submittals is much faster than snail mail/overnight & ink stamp. Same goes for plan approvals etc

While reviewing submittals, or plans now takes longer....why that is could be debated...

Buildings take longer to build, this could be debated as well....red tape, additional code & inspections, Engineering requirements, sloppy workmanship etc...
My dad built a red lobster in 59 days in the 70's as a General Foreman.....Thats not going to happen today, usual schedule is 160-180 days.

I can say on a day to day as a pm, less seems to get done. More time is spent chasing answers, bids, sending updates, updating schedules, sending reports, photos etc. Same goes for phone calls. When the site super had to go to his job trailer and dial from a landline to make a phone call, he made that communication count.
Now its fucking diarrhea of the mouth from everyone.

I dont know...

I ponder this also, from the construction side.

Growing up in the business and probing my dad for info when he was still around.

Somethings post internet are faster, sending submittals is much faster than snail mail/overnight & ink stamp. Same goes for plan approvals etc

While reviewing submittals, or plans now takes longer....why that is could be debated...

Buildings take longer to build, this could be debated as well....red tape, additional code & inspections, Engineering requirements, sloppy workmanship etc...
My dad built a red lobster in 59 days in the 70's as a General Foreman.....Thats not going to happen today, usual schedule is 160-180 days.

I can say on a day to day as a pm, less seems to get done. More time is spent chasing answers, bids, sending updates, updating schedules, sending reports, photos etc. Same goes for phone calls. When the site super had to go to his job trailer and dial from a landline to make a phone call, he made that communication count.
Now its fucking diarrhea of the mouth from everyone.

I dont know...

Because it's so easy to send an email. And people have a tendency to check/respond to emails at all times of the day.

Think about not having a cell phone much less a smartphone. And you didn't have to be available IMMEDIATELY at all times of the day/night/year.

I have a love/hate relationship with cell phones. They certainly are convenient but they are also a royal pain in the ass.

Seems like, across many industries, we've improved the productivity of the bottom at the expense of the top.

In 2024 any idiot can build a red lobster in 180ish days without it falling down or making some fuck up that makes it not worth having built but the best guys in a situation where the stars align for them will get it done in 159 instead of 59.

Because it's so easy to send an email.
And you can send it to a fuckton of people easily. And if any of those people disapprove they feel the need to voice that so that they can feel their ass is covered if it turns out they were right.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this the other day while watching a doc and they were interviewing a CEO in the 70s (Boeing maybe) and I commented to my wife "it must have been awesome working back then and being basically unreachable when you leave the building". Like how would you even get ahold of a CEO if they weren't near the phone, let alone the underlings under them pre internet/cell phone. Work smart phones shackles you to the company in a lot of cases, unless you are obviously in an on call type role.
The CEO of Boeing would have had a car phone. Just saying. My uncle was a bank VP, and he had one in the 70's.

Top Back Refresh