What's new

MNR 4600 class 2021 U4 Bronco build

I don’t have very many rules in life but one of the few. NEVER post a picture of a roll cage in progress on the forum. By the time I give you guys the opportunity to make us second guess ourselves it’s already set in stone. As far as I know this is the first fast back caged new Bronco
8533BC16-4BF1-4FD2-AB26-D8386707157A.jpeg
12571565-8E97-48C8-A487-C12ADD8689FE.jpeg

Nope, not removable. Integrated into the body.
That's shitty even on the Scout II's they were bolt in. But I'm assuming the windshield frame has some strength component to rollover safety. However heep has kept all theirs bolt in to the roll bar and cowl.

I dont believe those are legal sir
Not sure if that's true or not but i remember we had a big discussion about those in the rollcage failure thread after JRX4 posted this picture in there......

photo41181[1].jpg

I think we all agreed that welding plate style gussets to the sides of the tube was alot safer than in the middle, but a taco gusset was the best thing to use.

Saw this come across the Ultra4 feed, I know it's not yours but just another view of the components of what you're working with. Do you know if they're doing a similar build?

Kinda interesting that you get a driveshaft hoop from the factory :laughing:

_nc_ohc=Tr_8OTacIuEAX8ZgPO8&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

Not sure if that's true or not but i remember we had a big discussion about those in the rollcage failure thread after JRX4 posted this picture in there......

photo41181[1].jpg

I think we all agreed that welding plate style gussets to the sides of the tube was alot safer than in the middle, but a taco gusset was the best thing to use.

No amount of gusseting or lack of caused that to fail that way. Poor over all design is what caused that.

The fastback op built makes that basically impossible.

Saw this come across the Ultra4 feed, I know it's not yours but just another view of the components of what you're working with. Do you know if they're doing a similar build?

Kinda interesting that you get a driveshaft hoop from the factory :laughing:

_nc_ohc=Tr_8OTacIuEAX8ZgPO8&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg
Those guys are friends of ours. Almost twins but theirs is a 10 speed auto instead of the manual. They are doing a similar build but they’ll have to keep their dash and stuff intact

why didn't you end the tubes at the nodes? Otherwise looks good.
Sorry I was exhausted last night and my thinker had already shut down. The x bracing in the back of C pillar has to be what you’re referring to. And it’s because we couldn’t weld the bottom of the cope if we put it in the node. The cage can’t be removed. The windshield frame has the A pillar pinned down and the feet of the B pillar are pinned in by the shape of the floor. So the Cage can’t be lifted up. There will be a gusset there. Had to compromise the location of that one to get a fully welded fish mouth.

And that that particular failure would have happened regardless of gusset type because the root cause was deficiencies in the overall design.

And that that particular failure would have happened regardless of gusset type because the root cause was deficiencies in the overall design.

Yes it was, but the gusset compounded the problem.

JR4X... How many Ford backed Broncos will be racing KOH in the 4500 class this year. Also, any idea of the weight difference between the automatic and manual versions?

Yes it was, but the gusset compounded the problem.

JR4X... How many Ford backed Broncos will be racing KOH in the 4500 class this year. Also, any idea of the weight difference between the automatic and manual versions?
Depends on your definition of backed. There are 3 that Ford had built by a team of people and then handed over to their drivers to assume all further responsibilities of racing them. Then there are 3 more that ford put out to small race teams to build themselves.

The auto alone weighs 122 pounds more than the manual. But there’s a lot more than just that to keeping the 10 speed. The vehicle wire harness has to remain intact to run the trans meaning so does the dash. We weighed each of those components separately. The vehicle harness is 90 pounds. The dash is 88 pounds. There might be more miscellaneous stuff that they have to keep to keep the computer modules happy.

As soon as dad removed the seats in ours it wouldn’t run anymore. From everything and everyone we talked to the ECM is locked and no one is able to help us “delete” the ECM. VATS, pass key, ABS, Advance Trac, traction control, etc. the whole buffet of computer nonsense can’t be turned off on the 20 and up. Since we have a manual trans we’re just using an engine harness/ECM for a 2018 mustang with a 6 speed manual because it could be deleted. So we more easily got rid of a bunch of stuff the other two builds in progress won’t be able to because of their 10 speed auto’s. I’m patiently waiting to see how they handle that.

Top Back Refresh