What's new

Mission(s) to Mars

If you guys think some robot flew itself to Mars and is taking pictures of itself and of Mars and sending them to earth that’s cool but I have my doubts.. at this point if the us government is behind it, it’s probably a lie.

If you guys think some robot flew itself to Mars and is taking pictures of itself and of Mars and sending them to earth that’s cool but I have my doubts.. at this point if the us government is behind it, it’s probably a lie.

:laughing:

I disagree in this case, but that's generally a good sentiment.

I'd be curious to hear more about your distrust in space exploration. Do you think we send rockets to orbit? Does the ISS exist? Have we been to the moon? Does "orbit" actually exist? Is the earth flat? Just to see where your disagreement is

I'd be curious to hear more about your distrust in space exploration. Do you think we send rockets to orbit? Does the ISS exist? Have we been to the moon? Does "orbit" actually exist? Is the earth flat? Just to see where your disagreement is

Moon landings were fake as shit, they looked like what they were, 1960’s sci-fi movie graphics.

I really have no opinion of everything else you posted so I’m not going to say anything.

Interested in your takes on a few things also since you obviously have more trust in the government than anyone I personally chat with.

Was Kennedy shot by Oswald?
was 9/11 orchestrated by bin laden?
is Covid an actual virus that is a threat to the world or just a political ploy?
Did Biden get more votes than trump ?

What part of the moon landings don't you trust. Do you feel we didn't have the technology to make it happen?

I don't have tons of faith in the government, and that seems to be your biggest explanation so I have nothing to combat that rationale.

But I trust the tens of thousands of civilian contractor people that worked for the companies that made the hardware weren't "in on" some big scheme. I trust the technology existed to get us there, just like it existed to carry the nukes it was originally intended for. I trust the tens if not hundreds of thousands of ground observers that watched the rockets take flight and go to orbit. I trust that your everyday joe with a big enough antenna can pick up data transmitted from our spacecraft and folks in space. I trust that private companies are doing the same exact stuff with and without government funding here in the US. And that many other nations have achieved similar (aside from landing humans on the moon which is US only so far).

If you believe in ICBMs etc, you already believe we have the technology to get to orbit. If you believe we were dumb enough to strap humans to the top of military rockets and see what happens (we were), you agree we've sent humans to space. If you believe in satellite phones and satellite internet, you believe we've sent robots (satellites) to space. What makes landing robots on another surface unbelievable?

Yes. Exploration and the push for advancing technology to the absolute limits is a waste of tax dollars.

Meanwhile, let's send some more gender studies money to the ME. :laughing:

We are never going to colonize Mars or have people living there. That is just a stupid endeavor. Put the tax dollars to use investing in technology that will benefit everyone, or reduce taxes.

Hmmm I respectfully disagree as well, but everyone's welcome to their opinion on whether we should spend our money to do this kind of stuff. The public sentiment has in general agreed with you, and is the reason NASA budgest has plummeted over the decades. We went from landing humans on the moon in the late 60's, to only being able to get to low earth orbit with the shuttle through the early 2000's, to not even having a US based way to get humans to space since 2011 (we've been riding russian rockets). Late last year SpaceX launched the first US based rocket with a US crew in almost 10 years.

Personally, I think it's absolutely worth it. If you haven't ever taken a glance at the technologies derived from NASA research over the years, it really is impressive. (I know this is a wiki link, just the most convenient simple overview). It's not only the material things though, but what it does to inspire the current and next generation who want to push the limits of what humans can do and how far we can reach into new unexplored frontiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies

*EDIT* Your response came up as I was typing this so I didn't see it, but still somewhat relevant. I know putting humans on mars is a pretty steep challenge, but if spaceflight costs are reduced exponentially (which they are already falling), capabilities expand dramatically. It's still a long shot, absolutely. But I like to think humans have a better future than just sitting on this planet until we blow ourselves up, or something else does. How many times has that already happened, how many civilization resets/collapses has humanity already had? We may end up going down that path, who knows.

Last edited:
It seems what some people fail to realize is that these 'projects' are far from a waste of taxpayer money. They are a stimulus to financial growth because not only does it employ people directly on the project, but the raw materials for the rockets need to be mined, then made into usable materials, assembled, etc, etc, etc and all of these people need to eat, and have houses. whatever tax money goes into the project works it's way down to creating lots of employment which puts money back into the growth of the economy.
And on top of that, the money being spent now is laying the groundwork for the industries and jobs of tomorrow. If this didn't happen, we would still be watching TVs that have vacuum tubes.
I have a hard time thinking of a better use of tax money than employing people today in work that develops new technology and advancements, and creates new industries that will employ people in the future.

Why don’t they strap a go pro in their space shuttles when they are flying through space? Everything nasa releases seems very suspect and manipulated. It’s all just a giant scam to waste tax dollars.

Panz is just tired of mining this rock, he wants a new one now..

I was just about to type that. Suit me up and shoot my ass off this rock. I’ll go hunt down some trillion dollar asteroids.

If is wasn’t mining rock for a living I would be working for nasa.

Last edited:
Why don’t they strap a go pro in their space shuttles when they are flying through space? Everything nasa releases seems very suspect and manipulated. It’s all just a giant scam to waste tax dollars.

Space shuttles stopped flying in 2011. But they do put cameras on everything that goes up. There's almost always a live stream running from the ISS. When astronauts do a spacewalk on the ISS, they're always available live with gopro-like cameras. Every launch is announced months in advance and thousands of people gather to watch them, everyone in florida hears them. Some of those people even pull up the live streams to watch real life and video footage side by side.

ISS Live:
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/iss_ustream.html

Here's a spacewalk from 2 weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwuR...b_channel=NASA

Spacewalk from 3 weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3tV...b_channel=NASA

And every awesome high res video from SpaceX
https://www.youtube.com/user/spacexchannel

Let alone live streamed launches by Rocketlab, ESA, Virgin Orbit, Russia, China, India, Japan etc

Last edited:
Just for grins. There's just a simple cargo launch that's going up to the ISS in about 25 minutes, and even it has a live stream like nearly every other launch does.

LoL have you ever been on a Teams or Skype or Facetime or whatever app you use with the video being flakey and dropping out because of your crappy wifi? Now imagine trying to do that over 10's of thousands of miles while going thousands of miles per hour.

3 minutes until that launch. I assume they'll go to an animation part way into flight. But if you were on the ground in Virginia right now, you could track it all the way almost to orbit

thanks for that link to the NG launch. I caught it about 2 minutes before launch
it sent me down a wormhole though, hoping I can catch the live feed from the ISS as it approaches and docks.
looks like there are a couple of spacemen doing some work outside right now.

https://youtu.be/DDU-rZs-Ic4

thanks for that link to the NG launch. I caught it about 2 minutes before launch
it sent me down a wormhole though, hoping I can catch the live feed from the ISS as it approaches and docks.
looks like there are a couple of spacemen doing some work outside right now.

https://youtu.be/DDU-rZs-Ic4

No problem man. Gotta watch out for non official sources like that though, thankfully that one is good about it and actually say in the description that they show prerecorded footage when the ISS is on the night side of the planet (because it's just black due to darkness like the actual nasa ISS stream I linked a ways back). So they're just showing some of the spacewalk recordings from nasa that I linked somewhere as well.

Here's the schedule for the stuff they're doing up there, next spacewalk will be on the 28th (with live footage available)

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html

I think it is a waste of tax dollars.

I guess you are right, myself I think dumping millions into the Heroin addicted homeless that leach off the public is a waste of tax dollar too.
Personally I would rather see the spaceship-parachute-core-drill-camera-with-drone-accessories robot do its thing. At least something happens.
Even if it fails, you at least get an explosion, and who doesn't like a explosion? It is a win-win

..everyone has their point of view

That Cygnus launch docked with the ISS this morning, here's a pretty cool summary video for those who weren't up at those hours of the morning:

And we're a couple hours away from the next update on the Perseverance rover (11am PST), so far it looks like they're giving us the video too

Yeah I agree with you. I think it's an interesting conversation to have and I respect the discussions with those who don't agree on the expenditures, but everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

The live update on Perseverance is starting in about 5 minutes, should have some good photos and videos available afterwards

This is the coolest thing I've seen ina very long time.

This shit will make anyone a nerd. Freakin' bad ass!!

I can't wait for all the "there's an alien crashed ship" crap

Top Back Refresh