What's new

Mission(s) to Mars

Pretty cool. First time I've watched live NASA action in a very long time. Exciting stuff.

First images back off the hazard avoidance cams

EuiZR2xUcAMxfsq.jpg

EuiZR2xUcAMxfsq.jpg

Pretty awesome.

I really dislike the cgi showing it flying around. If it’s not from a real image I don’t want to see it. People are to dumb to not realize it’s fake.

Pretty awesome.

I really dislike the cgi showing it flying around. If it’s not from a real image I don’t want to see it. People are to dumb to not realize it’s fake.

I'm torn on that, because without the visualization you would only have a camera of the control room, some data, and mission control audio (which was one of the streams I linked, so it was available). But just listening to audio doesn't really generate the interest or understanding of exactly what's going on. So I personally like it, even though I agree it will be misinterpreted by many

I'm torn on that, because without the visualization you would only have a camera of the control room, some data, and mission control audio (which was one of the streams I linked, so it was available). But just listening to audio doesn't really generate the interest or understanding of exactly what's going on. So I personally like it, even though I agree it will be misinterpreted by many

Agreed.

I think the younger kids appreciate it. So a lot of youth watching which was cool.

They will have footage of the landing itself but it takes time to get it transmitted. They can't do a "live" video feed of something like this because it takes something like 6 minutes for the radio waves to travel the distance, much farther than the moon.

They will have footage of the landing itself but it takes time to get it transmitted. They can't do a "live" video feed of something like this because it takes something like 6 minutes for the radio waves to travel the distance, much farther than the moon.

It's more like 12 minutes. And the landing sequence is 7 minutes long ("7 Minutes of Terror"). Perseverance was on the ground for five minutes before we knew everything was peachy.

Huzzah and congratulations to all that played a part!

This is a good watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2tKigOPBU

I missed it.
Thanks for posting the pics as highlights. Is there a short video that shows the landing happen or any movement of it on the ground yet?

I missed it.
Thanks for posting the pics as highlights. Is there a short video that shows the landing happen or any movement of it on the ground yet?

It'll start moving on the ground in like a week ish, it's going to spend a few days waking up out of its 7 month hibernation and doing system checks. They put some pretty sweet high def cameras on this one, and should have recorded some pretty awesome footage. But they don't expect that to get back for a few days, have to unfold the primary antenna to start transferring data at a reasonable rate

Newer photos trickling in, we're in for some really great photos and video as they download more and more

Same camera as one of yesterdays pics, full color and with the dust cover popped off
Eum9z6TVEAAjZOT.jpg

This one is pretty surreal, video from the sky crane unit lowering the rover to the surface, a few feet before touchdown. If everything went well, they should have video and audio of this whole landing process
_117093694_screenshot2021-02-19at18.05.01-2.png

I read somewhere they had two mics to record audio from the surface? That might be interesting.

I read somewhere they had two mics to record audio from the surface? That might be interesting.

There's already recording of the Mars surface. Actually, Venus too. Sounds no different, but it is kind of neat.

Yep yep two mics, so they wanted to catch the sound of the entire atmospheric entry and landing, along with the sounds of mars. I'm sure we'll hear it amplified, but the atmosphere being under 1% as dense as earths so there's not as much stuff to transmit sound so everything will be quieter. Should be pretty sweet if/when it finds itself in dust storms though

It happened to land right within reach of some super interesting porous rock as well, they have science to do before even starting the drive.
152362437_242770563999462_9192922560300747099_o.jpg

Top Back Refresh