What's new

MInneapolis declares suicide, without cop involvement... YAY!

Has the Hennepin County Sheriff made any statements on this? If the city popo is dissolved, wouldn't enforcement fall to the sheriff? So would the police officers be laid off one day and hired by the Sheriff the next?

The way it works here in SoCal a lot of small incorporated towns don't have the budget for their own police force, so they have the county sheriffs do the enforcement. Those cities pay the county a yearly fee to cover the cost to the sheriffs. I'll bet the money saved from dissolving the police in Minneapolis would end up being paid to the sheriff's department.

laws =/= law enforcement

I would fully get behind slashing the amount of laws on the books, which would result in less enforcement required.

yes.

everybody likes to say "blame the politicians that created the laws" well, now those same politicians are doing fuckall about the laws and crafting division and laying it on the feet of enforcement. enforcement doesn't go away because the city gets rid of their private police force. enforcement simply becomes more arbitrary as control is moved to a higher level. it becomes less local, it becomes less accountable.

it will be fine and not total chaos, but it will be worse and isn't reform.

Let them do it. Lets see what happens. democratic city, democratic mayor, democratic AG but it's all the police and trumps fault. Let them do what they want. Sooner or later they will run out of people to blame.

Has the Hennepin County Sheriff made any statements on this? If the city popo is dissolved, wouldn't enforcement fall to the sheriff? So would the police officers be laid off one day and hired by the Sheriff the next?

I don't believe Hutch has made any statements regarding it publicly, but I actually asked him almost that exact question in person earlier today.

He really doubts anything real is actually going to come out this, it will be more of a reorganization if anything.

As the Sheriffs office is currently set up, it doesn't sound like they are close to prepared for the possibility of taking the responsibilities of the mpd. They have about 350 officers, but most of them work in the jail, courthouse, etc. with only about 150 of them having a real "police work" background. If it came to be the Sheriffs gig it sounded like there would have be plenty of new hires. Everyone knows where they would come from.

Really great idea if you ask me. The police is a massive overreach of the government. Law should be handled by community members. Not by government bureaucrats.

LOL Say I don't like left handed red heads and I convince others in my community to not like them could I then chase off all left handed redheads? How about someone whose skin color is different or religion or hair length... Do you see what a slippery slope you are standing on? :eek:

LOL Say I don't like left handed red heads and I convince others in my community to not like them could I then chase off all left handed redheads? How about someone whose skin color is different or religion or hair length... Do you see what a slippery slope you are standing on? :eek:

Only if we live in the same community. :flipoff2:

So without the police who's going to enforce their anti gun laws? 🤔😁

City council defunded police.

COUNTY COPS are still there and they will gladly enforce anti-gun laws.

Once county cops do something wrong they will get defunded. These people think they don't need any police.

I don't believe Hutch has made any statements regarding it publicly, but I actually asked him almost that exact question in person earlier today.

He really doubts anything real is actually going to come out this, it will be more of a reorganization if anything.

As the Sheriffs office is currently set up, it doesn't sound like they are close to prepared for the possibility of taking the responsibilities of the mpd. They have about 350 officers, but most of them work in the jail, courthouse, etc. with only about 150 of them having a real "police work" background. If it came to be the Sheriffs gig it sounded like there would have be plenty of new hires. Everyone knows where they would come from.

Ok, so you're claiming an in on knowledge, so share it.

What is the possibility of a Municipal spat like we see all the time? For instance, the County could just decide to tell Minneapolis to fuck off, and not allow their Officers in the City. More outlandish things have happened.

I ask because this would be so entertaining I'm thinking about going on a letter-writing campaign to promote the idea. Just let Minneapolis burn, like Escape from New York.

We need to get back to the police just policing, enforcing the laws, and not trying to be mediators or provide mental health services. We need to cut the funding for the police, not eliminate them, and send it back where it belongs in the first place. We have tried to turn a hammer into a multi tool, and no matter how hard you try a hammer is only going to do 1 or two things really well. Trying to make a hammer do other shit is just going to make it hammer less effectively, and totally suck ass at anything else you want it to do.

We all know the importance of using the right tool for the job, and how bad it can suck if you don’t have it and soldier on anyway.

Yeah ...... NO!

You are just wanting to embolden the cop culture that got us into this fucked up mess.

To enforce the laws without crushing the neck of people requires a little diplomacy, tact, and the ability to de-escalate a volatile situation.

\My big concern is how department funding works. By the city council de-funding the department can they still self-fund through citations and tickets?

Also, How many jurisdictions make up the area?
So they defunded the city cops, you still have state, county, airport, school, constables, and probably 3 or 4 more agencies.

Plus EVERY TOOL IS A HAMMER, except a screwdriver, and it's a chisel.

you guys are pro 2a and anti gov't. why is this a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing as long as the Laws are in place that protect the rights of citizens to protect themselves and their property.

That's honestly my only concern is that they will remove the police force but still conduct prosecutions of people who act to defend themselves.

I'm glad I don't live there to see how this plays out. I'm much happier watching from afar. Even if I have a utopian idea of this ultimately being a good thing if we can build a culture around the system of self-governance. Sadly, I'm pretty sure this is a political move that will end with more oversight once chaos emerges and is nothing but a stunt.

DiBlasio just announced he is cutting NYPD budget and putting it towards social programs. I guess his wife needs a few more million.

DiBlasio just announced he is cutting NYPD budget and putting it towards social programs. I guess his wife needs a few more million.

https://www.gopusa.com/?p=90114?omhide=true

De Blasio Orders Police To Wear Face Masks; Lectures On ‘Do Unto Others,’ Following Rules

New York Daily News | Jun 8, 2020

Mayor de Blasio called on police officers to stop ignoring Health Department guidelines to wear a face covering when out in public.

“I know you have a hard job, but, you know — do unto others,” he said while addressing cops during a Sunday press conference. “If we’re asking everyone else to follow the rules, social distancing, wear a face covering for the protection of all, you should do it, too.”

The exhortation came after many police officers went maskless at protests in which they came into close contact with thousands of protesters all over the city in recent days.

“It’s just a human decency thing, and I’ve had this conversation with [Police Commissioner Dermot Shea] and I expect to see improvement in this area,” de Blasio said.

The city’s biggest police unions, the Police Benevolent Association and the Sergeants’ Benevolent Association, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

I'm weirdly ok with the liberal cities trying to shutdown their police departments, if for no other reason than when crime skyrockets, and they have no way to get help, because they got rid of their own cops, and there won't be enough county or state to pick up the slack, I'll sit back with a Sam Adams and laugh, as their cities burn to the ground

Ok, so you're claiming an in on knowledge, so share it.

What is the possibility of a Municipal spat like we see all the time? For instance, the County could just decide to tell Minneapolis to fuck off, and not allow their Officers in the City. More outlandish things have happened.

I ask because this would be so entertaining I'm thinking about going on a letter-writing campaign to promote the idea. Just let Minneapolis burn, like Escape from New York.

No real in on knowledge. The Sheriff is a customer of mine and small talk happens. We rarely get into deep conversation, the environment doesn't normally allow for it. That just happened to be this am's conversation.

I'm weirdly ok with the liberal cities trying to shutdown their police departments, if for no other reason than when crime skyrockets, and they have no way to get help, because they got rid of their own cops, and there won't be enough county or state to pick up the slack, I'll sit back with a Sam Adams and laugh, as their cities burn to the ground

and if that doesn't happen? then what? humor me.

So does this mean they are repealing a whole stack of laws with it?

I'm glad people are looking at and experimenting with radical ideas of shutting down government institutions. Maybe they wont see the end the fed, or other anti government monopoly, groups not as a bunch of nut jobs.

I do like seeing seeing the pro 2a people who needs guns to fight off a tyrannical government, who never did get off the porch when the government recently turned even more tyrannical, up in arms when the thug arm of the government is getting shut down. Give the left credit, they definately got off the porch when something happened that they didnt like. About all the right could muster up is people not wearing masks at the grocery store and standing in front of a city hall or 2.

Kinda what I would expect. Dissolve the police, pay the county to do policing activities, they don't have the staff so hire on the most readily available options with local experience - the out of work police officers, citizens end up with the same issue but the uniforms have different patches on them. Problem not solved, but the politicians can point to "we tried, but the sheriff didn't do what we wanted. His fault." Rinse, repeat.

Cultural improvement cannot be made through legislative action.

Skippy you claim to be smarter than everybody else figure it out or look it up

He wasn't asking a question :homer:

Though, to be fair, his "answer in the form of a question" should have ended with a question mark.

Reference = the game show "Jeopardy!" (which, ironically, is what Minneapolis city council is putting their voters in).

So, what really happens when there is no law enforcement? You have to look no further than the riots in Minneapolis, criminals looting and beating innocent business people. Check out the videos of rioters beating the innocent couple who were just trying to prevent the destruction of their business. It is sickening. I fear it will go further into people of supposedly "privileged class" being dragged from their cars and homes and beaten death or hanged as reparations for their supposed ancestors transgressions. Without penalty for lawlessness, what is to stop it? They are chanting death to cops, pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon. If the cops are killed first , what demographic is next? They will get to you or someone you care about soon enough. Protests are fine but the violence must stop.

Reform must start at the top, mayors, councils, administrators first, not at the street level. If those in charge won't stand against bad policies and cops that ignore rules then vote them out and demand candidates that will try the bad cops. Don't tar all the caps with the same brush.

You guys spouting off about defending the police and replaci g it with LE run by an elected official are fucking morons. Who do the police work for? Police chief or commisioner, right? Who does the PC work for and how do the get their job? They work for the Mayor or city council, and they are appointed by and answer to these individuals. Now the big question. How do the mayor or city cou cil members get their position? God damn, thats right theyre fucking elected! So tell me again how is this stupid idea any different? If you mean go to a system like a sheriff where the hnic is elected directly. Then why dont start looking at statistics and see who the most fucking corrupt officials have been and which depts have the most issues (per capita)2@@ nationwide over the past decades of having sheriffs.

Last edited:
He wasn't asking a question :homer:

Though, to be fair, his "answer in the form of a question" should have ended with a question mark.

Reference = the game show "Jeopardy!" (which, ironically, is what Minneapolis city council is putting their voters in).

Ah I missed Skippy was trying to be Ironic

Top Back Refresh