What's new

Milwaukee vs dewalts vs snapon help me pick my next brand.

Another milwaukee vote. Id recommend only buying fuel models. Worth the extra cost, and stock up on batteries when they go on sale, then buy tool only tools to keep from ending up with 30 chargers.
Only time the fuel stuff doesn’t work is when lacing up the belt on my magnets. The fuel drill spins until you get close to the magnet then it shuts off lol. The non fuel stuff works just fine. Just a strange application.

Had dewalt 18v stuff for a long time, but the batteries all went out. Bought some lithium 18v ones that lasted a long time but then the tools started wearing out.

Have now swapped all of the 18v tools for brushless 20v dewalts and I've been very happy with everything I've purchased.

Another milwaukee vote. Id recommend only buying fuel models. Worth the extra cost, and stock up on batteries when they go on sale, then buy tool only tools to keep from ending up with 30 chargers.

I 2nd this or 10th this whatever th it is. I have 3 chargers and that is more than enough and before the weekend I check battery levels and anything half battery or lower goes on the charger, which is usually only 1 or 2 batteries and I also make sure to have atleast 1 extra battery so when a battery dies you can swap it out and keep on working.

Had dewalt 18v stuff for a long time, but the batteries all went out. Bought some lithium 18v ones that lasted a long time but then the tools started wearing out.

Have now swapped all of the 18v tools for brushless 20v dewalts and I've been very happy with everything I've purchased.

One cool thing dewalt did was make 20v adapters for 18v tools. So you don't have to start 100% from scratch.

I went with Dewalt because I think their tools have better user features/ less built in safety bs. The Milwaukee drills cut out if you over torque them even a little bit. My Dewalt will rip itself out of my hand and slap me for my weakness. I also like that when the battery is low, the tool doesn't just stop dead and make you change the battery right then. When the Dewalt tools stop, you can use them again for a few more seconds, so if you're halfway done with a cut you can usually finish up and then change the battery. The 60v stuff is badass and the 60v batteries work on the 20v tools.

However, in spite of all that if I was choosing again I would go with Milwaukee because of the insanely better selection of tools. It is SOOO frustrating when you want a tool, only to find that your team doesn't make it or makes a shitty one while the other guys have what you want. I'm too far invested in my Dewalt stuff to switch though, which is fine because they don't suck.

then buy tool only tools to keep from ending up with 30 chargers.
More chargers more better. You gotta mount a few in the shop, mount one to the truck running off an inverter, mount a few more in the garage, one in the tool bag, one on your desk at work, etc, etc. :laughing:

More chargers more better. You gotta mount a few in the shop, mount one to the truck running off an inverter, mount a few more in the garage, one in the tool bag, one on your desk at work, etc, etc. :laughing:
I must be strange too I have way to many chargers floating around. We only really use one a 6 battery charger. That way all the batteries are in one spot .

I must be strange too I have way to many chargers floating around. We only really use one a 6 battery charger. That way all the batteries are in one spot .
My batteries and tools diffuse across my areas of work until I collect them all about once a week. :laughing:

But I do have a much smaller work area than you.

I had dewalt stuff from the time that my father gave me a few of his dewalt tools, so I stuck with Dewalt, eventually adding some of the newer 20v tools and a few brushless. About 4 years ago all of that stuff was stolen (along with all my air tools... GRRRRR!!!) So since my house insurance paid for all of it, I decided well, might as well try a different brand, since I have no reason to stick with Dewalt.

I chose Milwaukee. A drill, a small impact driver, a larger impact, some flash lights, sawzall, and so on.

IMO, brand doesn't really matter, just pick one. I like the Milwaukee stuff, but honestly I don't know that it's any better or worse than the Dewalt stuff (except for the older 18v dewalt stuff, but that's older technology) The only thing I think I don't like about Milwaukee, is that it's more difficult to remove the battery with one hand. Not that big of a deal, but yeah.

On the air-tool side of things, I replaced all my stolen stuff with Aircat and a few SP air. And THAT, I can highly recommend. Aircat and SP is nice. :smokin:

I went with Dewalt because I think their tools have better user features/ less built in safety bs. The Milwaukee drills cut out if you over torque them even a little bit. My Dewalt will rip itself out of my hand and slap me for my weakness. I also like that when the battery is low, the tool doesn't just stop dead and make you change the battery right then. When the Dewalt tools stop, you can use them again for a few more seconds, so if you're halfway done with a cut you can usually finish up and then change the battery. The 60v stuff is badass and the 60v batteries work on the 20v tools.

However, in spite of all that if I was choosing again I would go with Milwaukee because of the insanely better selection of tools. It is SOOO frustrating when you want a tool, only to find that your team doesn't make it or makes a shitty one while the other guys have what you want. I'm too far invested in my Dewalt stuff to switch though, which is fine because they don't suck.
X2
Got a mix of yellow 18v,brushed and brushless 20v stuff
If im to replace everything it will be red
Better selection of tools esp with the smaller 12v stuff

The Milwaukee drills cut out if you over torque them even a little bit.
mine doesnt in low gear, it will break your arm or 1/2"+ drill bits no problem :laughing: ive drilled hundreds of holes in steel 1/8" to 5/8" thick with drill bits up to 3/4" its also seen plenty of hole saws

its never cut out once unless the battery was dead or i was in high speed and it caught an edge

Pick the one that your favorite local tool store carries.

I like red cordless tools, but all my corded shit is yellow.

I also like that when the battery is low, the tool doesn't just stop dead and make you change the battery right then. When the Dewalt tools stop, you can use them again for a few more seconds, so if you're halfway done with a cut you can usually finish up and then change the battery.
Getting the last bit out of a battery like that is supposed to be really hard on the battery.

I had dewalt stuff from the time that my father gave me a few of his dewalt tools, so I stuck with Dewalt, eventually adding some of the newer 20v tools and a few brushless. About 4 years ago all of that stuff was stolen (along with all my air tools... GRRRRR!!!) So since my house insurance paid for all of it, I decided well, might as well try a different brand, since I have no reason to stick with Dewalt.

I chose Milwaukee. A drill, a small impact driver, a larger impact, some flash lights, sawzall, and so on.

IMO, brand doesn't really matter, just pick one. I like the Milwaukee stuff, but honestly I don't know that it's any better or worse than the Dewalt stuff (except for the older 18v dewalt stuff, but that's older technology) The only thing I think I don't like about Milwaukee, is that it's more difficult to remove the battery with one hand. Not that big of a deal, but yeah.

On the air-tool side of things, I replaced all my stolen stuff with Aircat and a few SP air. And THAT, I can highly recommend. Aircat and SP is nice. :smokin:

I mostly agree with this, I don't think one brand is drastically better than the other.

I liked my old xrp 3 spd 18v dewalt drill I had at work more than my current fuel m18. However, I used a buddies xrp 20v a while back and it felt very cheap, like the housing was flexing in your hand and not as much power.

Which is why I think it comes down to tool selection. I don't think anyone holds a candle to Milwaukees impact and ratchet selection.

Also, if your fuel drill is cutting out, check the clutch settings. I thought mine was pos for a long time, only to find out the kids were messing with my clutch settings. It doesn't make a loud ratchet noise, it just cuts power.

$179 with a free 5.0 battery

This is almost worth it for the battery.

I’m happy with Milwaukee. I keep eyeballing the M12 line to replace the Ryobi 18 volt stuff I have, but Ryobi at home hasnt failed me and I don’t use it for a living.

$159 today

My corded stuff is a rainbow of colors, who cares since it doesnt need to interchange. My battery stuff is milwaukee as I started with the M18 impact, then stuck with red to avoid a million different batteries and chargers.

Getting the last bit out of a battery like that is supposed to be really hard on the battery.
I heard the tools quit at 20% battery capacity to protect battery service life but you got me to go look it up and it's not true. Dewalt's recommendation is to replace the battery as soon as you notice the tool has less power to prevent damage to the battery....

So... damn.... :homer:

Dewalt 20V guy here. Learned from a couple of old school construction guys on the mountain who had all Dewalt stuff.

Just today I was talking to one of them who had some Milwaukee stuff. He said he likes the red tools over the yellow tools now.

Go figure.

Pick a color and run with it.

Pick a color and go, but Milwaukee has a LOT more specialty tools.

the 1/2", 3/4", 3/8" stubby are all badass.

Grease gun is amazing.

Like others have said Milwaukee!, Dewalt is good for the price but for daily use Milwaukee is the best. The 2 speed grease gun is unreal, Saves tons of time.

If Milwaukee doesn't make it you probably don't need it.

Did you see that snap on just came out with a $900 brushless 1/2" pact that puts out less ugga duggas than Milwaukee? I'm sure the fanbois are already lined up for them. :laughing:

I have a bunch of M18 and some M12. No matter what you get go fuel every time.

M12 Dremel, soldering iron, 1/4" impact driver, drill and 3/8" stubby impact fucking rule for lighter stuff.

M18 surge impact driver, 1/2" hammer drill, oscillating tool, grinder, super saw all and 1/2" big dog impact are impressive. I have a lower model grinder and I'm happy with it. It will not replace a 110v unit but for 98% of things it's great.

Opinions, I has them.

If you are Joe homeowner or only slightly committed in the garage, get a Ryobi/Ridgid/Craftsman/Masterforce/Hart. Whatever is available on a Sunday afternoon at the closest store cheap and always available. For these types of people, a good drill, impact driver, recip saw, and a oscillating tool are all you are probably looking for, and you aren't going to wear any of these out.

If you ONLY work in a big auto repair/truck repair/body shop in a major city, you have no life, and nothing outside of work to work on, go buy Snap-On off the truck that shows up once a week so the other 'technicians' don't laugh at your 'inadequacies'. And they are good tools, but definitely overpriced, considering they are worth nothing in 5 years. And their technology and specs are about 5 years behind the rest of the industry.

If you are working general construction: There is a big legacy contingent of DeWalt lovers, and they are probably the lightest weight of the quality tools. Weight matters when you have your arm stretched clear out or overhead for hours at a time. They make everything a wood butcher could possibly want, and every lumberyard and corner hardware store has tools and accessories for DeWalt, where they don't for any other line of tools I've found.

If you are an electrician, go Milwaukee as they have a multitude of specialty tools for this trade, and all the electrical supply houses that I've been in are dealers.

If you are doing anything else, go Milwaukee. All of the industrial sites, independent mechanics, and many of your buddies already have. They have as good of tools than everybody else at minimum, and the ones they excel at they really excel. If you need to swap batteries or borrow some specialty tool of someone you will have spare batteries. Really, most places I go now where they are using cordless everyday it's overwhelmingly Milwaukee. Don't be afraid of having both M18 and M12, they are both good, and there are some tools that are way handier without the added bulk of the large battery underneath.

If you must be different, GO MAKITA. If you are going to have an oddball tool, they are at least as good as Milwaukee in most respects, and the batteries are much longer-lasting than anybody else's. IIRC, they have traded power for battery life, has something to do with the cells they use in the batteries being of a lower discharge capacity. One of the reasons why they went with dual batteries on their high power tools. I think every other manufacturer should adopt this strategy, but what do I know. Tool weight is on par with DeWalt, while being of better quality. That's with their blue tools. The Black ones are supposed to be on-par size-wise with most other manufacturer's 12v offerings, while having 18v battery capacity.
I have one friend who got into Makita before Milwaukee had taken over. He does lament their lack of offerings (namely no GOOD cordless grease gun) but has had them about 9 years now and has yet to replace a battery in spite of doing everything wrong in caring for them. He has mostly blue tools, but recently got a couple of the black ones (recip saw and impact driver) and is as happy with them as the blue tools.

my neighbor is a supervisor for big datacenter construction projects, he said all his guys use Makita.

Combination of DeWalt and Milwaukee here.
Happy with both.
Mix of M18 Fuel and M12 Fuel.
Just ordered that grinder/5ah battery combo. That is a decent deal. Have 3-4 corded grinders - this one would get used when I feel lazy to run an extension cord.

Home user, wrench on my own junk so plenty good for my needs. Smaller air compressor that I use now and then, no desire to purchase another larger one, why I went cordless. My air tools just sit in the drawer these days.

Heck my portable 12V compressor is used more often - bought a ViAir 450PA (100% duty cycle) vs garage one (shed a tear when my TruckAir compressor croaked, bought that thing in like 2004 or so).

Guess it's time to get the flame suit on.

I had DeWalt in the NiCad batteries for years. Then they screwed me when they went lithium. Okay DeWalt. I paid $280 for your drill and another $100 for two batteries. Now the batteries won't take a charge. Screw you, too.

So I went team Red. No, not Milwaukee red - I went Harbor Freight Red. Bauer. Yup. Hobo Fright I will proudly say is my cordless tool of choice.

In batteries, the 18650 cell reigns supreme. There's variants, but not by much. Gang them together, you gotta battery pack. Paint them yellow, blue, red, whatever, they're still the same batteries.
The motors are also near identical - though yes, cheap is cheap. Cheap enough to throw it away and buy another.
Regardless, these Bauer FAR outperform my DeWalt units (5 of them). They're just far better in every condition. It's not worth the electricity to try charging the DeWalts battery packs (9 of them).

I'm heavily invested in pneumatic tools. I'm not throwing those away. I'm not whining to the boss about buying me new tools. I just get something cordless now and again. There's zero comparison with Bauer and anything pneumatic or corded, yes I get that. But then, the same holds true for other cordless brands.

And I know Milwaukee will outperform a Bauer in any test by any metric. I get that too. Except I didn't need a co-signer, either.

Notta pro, here. Just a guy with a nice shop at home that now has some cordless stuff that works nice.

In batteries, the 18650 cell reigns supreme. There's variants, but not by much. Gang them together, you gotta battery pack. Paint them yellow, blue, red, whatever, they're still the same batteries.
In general yes, but there are some slight variations. I believe the cell that Makita uses is a lower discharge rate cell than is typically used. Some of the bottom-barrel brands use 'reclaimed' cells, basically used cells that still pass whatever internal standard the manufacturer uses.
The biggest difference IMO between an 'economy' tool and a 'good' tool battery is the internal circuitry in the pack itself. Is the board 'potted'? Does it have proper thermal protection? Overcharge/discharge protections? The best tools have a board that's potted well, and has a very aggressive thermal and charge management strategy.

For what you do with tools, you are probably just fine forever with the Bauer (or Earthquake, or Hercules) from HF. Hell, they are probably fine for many people reading this. Just know what it's limitations are. It seems you do, so you will be happy with them. Many people think the HF stuff is just as good as a 'red' 'blue' or 'yellow' name-brand tool, until they get it hot or drop it too many times, or the batteries last right up until just before the next trip you make to HF.

Top Back Refresh