What's new

Milwaukee vs dewalts vs snapon help me pick my next brand.

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
So current battery operated tools i use at work are a 3/8 drill, 3/8 impact, 3/8 ratchet and a grease gun

The drill and impact are on their last legs. Running on 6 years, they are both snap on. The drill has always sucked, always overheating on small bit sizes and just generally not impressed. Impact hasnt been bad its just really worn. Snap-on has a rebuild on each of them for 120$ with a turn around time of 3 weeks...BUT i had my torque wrenches recertifed this year off the truck and that 3 weeks turned into 12. A 3/8 impact from milwaukee is 197$

My grease gun is dewalt and it works great but its very bulky and i wish i had gone another route.

The 3/8s ratchet works fine but i have two different chargers in my small truck box and if i made a brand switch id make the big leap and send the snap on stuff to the house...

For what its worth, i have one dewalt battery as i only have one tool.

i have 3 for my snap on stuff but they are dieing as well and need to be replaced.

I bought both a snap on 3/8” and 1/2” impacts that are now over ten years old. I had a local battery place replace the 3/8” batteries but they suck I've had them changed twice. I bought new snap on batteries for my 1/2” and it’s still kicking good. I gave up on my 3/8” and recently bought a dewalt but all my cordless tools are now dewalt. Not sure what I’ll do when my 1/2” dies but probably go Milwaukee on that. I bought both the snap ons before the stuff that’s out today was out.

No way I’d pay over $1,000 for the new snap on 1/2”.

Oh
Phawk!
These guys?
My eyes closed prognostication?!

M18
And China

Ive used milw daily for 4-5 years now and the 1/2" FUEL impact is boss
1/2" FUEL drill is boss
Grinders are good but not great
Mid sized porta band is great
1/4" FUEL hex driver is boss
3/4" FUEL impact is scary torque

The non fuel stuff is meh.

Do not use anything less than 5.0ah batteries on anything that you want torque or run time out of.

If youre useing them daily get the 6pack charger. M18, m18/m12 3x3, or they make radiis that will bt and battery charge also.

Ive used milw daily for 4-5 years now and the 1/2" FUEL impact is boss
1/2" FUEL drill is boss
Grinders are good but not great
Mid sized porta band is great
1/4" FUEL hex driver is boss
3/4" FUEL impact is scary torque

The non fuel stuff is meh.

Do not use anything less than 5.0ah batteries on anything that you want torque or run time out of.

If youre useing them daily get the 6pack charger. M18, m18/m12 3x3, or they make radiis that will bt and battery charge also.
i was thinking of switching to the grease gun because they will actually hit the psi that dewalt wont.
switch order drills

add a 1/2 drill. sawzall and maybe a radio.

1/2 and 3/4 ive got a onboard compressor and have air impacts in that stuff. buttt i might add the 1/2 inch at home where i dont have that.

do you gain that much more on m18 vs m12 for cost?

Snap on shouldn't even be a part of the discussion if you want cordless tools that don't suck. Their cordless ratchet is the only thing they do better than the rest and it's not better-enough to justify the price point or buying into the rest of it or having 2 systems.

All my cordless stuff at work is Milwaukee, M12 fuel for everything but my 1/2" drill and 1/2" impact. The ratchets are a must have, especially the long reach models. I'm a big fan of the stubby impact guns, the 3/8 is the most used cordless tool I own and I'm about to buy a matching 1/2" for suspension/brake work in tight spots. M18 1/2" gun is big but it's also a beast, it'll hang with or outrun my 1/2" Matco air gun any day.

Biggest/only bitch on the M12 stuff is batteries, it doesn't take much to break the tabs that hold the battery into the tool off, then they either fall out and hit the floor or wiggle enough to not make good contact. Parts to fix em are cheap and I keep them on hand but it's still annoying.

I bought a 3/8 stubby and a 1/2" M18 gun for home to cover my needs here since my compressor sucks and I don't have the space/wiring for one that doesn't right now.

Red seems to have most everything covered.

Dewalt is fine but seems to be behind Red quite a bit.

I got Teal but they don't have quite as much as Red.

Milwaukee all the way. I run mostly 18v Milwaukee except for a 3/8 and 1/2 impact which are Matco and the first electric tools I bought back in 2014.

I've been a makita guy the last 13 years. If I had to start over tmw, would be Dewalt because more retailers carry it.

I've been a makita guy the last 13 years. If I had to start over tmw, would be Dewalt because more retailers carry it.
i had a makita 2007-2012? they did alright the plastic failed on the bodys thats why i went away from them..

Edit: i used brake clean on them and it killed the plastic..mainly on the battery pack bodies first they were the nimh or nicad and the bodies were made out of duck tape after the first year :lmao:

Milwakee m12 and m18 if needed (impact/bandsaw/grinder, ect), I know you said you had a compressor on board but once you go cordless you don't go back. I hardly touch my air guns anymore unless I'm pulling out the 1 inch to break off bolts.

M12 is nice because it works 90% of the time and is compact and light.

I have a lot of M18 tools and use them everyday for the last 8 years and never had a problem with them. I almost started getting more M12 stuff since the chargers are the same.

Milwaukee seems to have the most innovation and the largest selection. The only bad thing they have done is not doubling up batteries like Makita on super high draw items. As Milwaukee seems to be pulling away I expect the other guys will come out with all new platforms that will not interchange with their old stuff. Guys with the old yellow and blue stuff will slowly starve to death until they invest in new platforms./ Look at recent times. Milwaukee dropped the v18 and 28 volt lines and Dewalt their old 24v which was really great and 18v for their new "20v" which really isn't 20v

i had a makita 2007-2012? they did alright the plastic failed on the bodys thats why i went away from them..

Edit: i used brake clean on them and it killed the plastic..mainly on the battery pack bodies first they were the nimh or nicad and the bodies were made out of duck tape after the first year :lmao:

No tool fails. But the early 1.5aH batts cacked in a short time. 3.0aH+ are long haulers. (all NiMH) I will admit, I'm not a huge batt tool guy. Drill, driver, flashlight is about it.

No tool fails. But the early 1.5aH batts cacked in a short time. 3.0aH+ are long haulers. (all NiMH) I will admit, I'm not a huge batt tool guy. Drill, driver, flashlight is about it.
im more of a air guy BUT

I work out of a truck, i have a 50ft hose and a 25 whip hose (1 inch main, 1/2 step down) there sometimes i just down have the reach...there sometimes i just need to something real quick and setting park brake, switching on pto, going to the back turning on the compressor closing valves getting air lines is just too much...damn i sound lazy :lmao:

There is zero competition for Milwaukee . Hands down best money you can spend you’ll ditch your compressor and all your unnecessary air powered tools . FWIW I have extensive experience with each . Broke 2 makitas in less than 2 days … not good . Dewalt batteries suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Still just like they always have not worth your hard earned money . Milwaukee I have zero complaints …Any actual tech will tell you that you can judge how much use you’ve had out of an impact when you’ve had the replace the hog ring multiple times . I have ran a 3/8 Milwaukee daily for probably 3 years now abusing the hell out of it , dropping it , never remembering to charge it and it’s never failed me , never . The 1/2 inch impacts are heavy but they’ll out torque any air impact in my shop . Buy Milwaukee find sales on batteries and enjoy .

Milwaukee all the way. As a heavy equipment mechanic i now only run team red. It outlast the others and makes more power. I have lots of snap on/mac/ecc and milwaukee is hands down better in cordless tool and any good tool truck rep will say the same thing. Milwaukee has committed to cordless tolls and that is all of there reperch there for beating the rest. Snap on can not commit to cordless they have a lot of different tools to develop

I find myself using my M18 Fuel Grinders more often than my 11 Amp Dewalt corded just because the freedom to use it on my bench or on the truck easier. I do have a dewalt at my welding table for that stuff but I still pickup the M18 most of the time unless I have a lot of grinding to do and know the battery will get eaten up.

now that i have the new 2880-20(along with a 2783-20) when ever i get the corded grinder out its the big 9" one

Another vote for Milwaukee.

I don't think dewalt has the same variety of impacts and ratchets that Milwaukee has. The m12 ratchet is my most used tool. Every time someone uses it, they go "well, guess I know the next tool I'm buying now"

I also noticed that they came out with a new one with a tiny head that looks pretty awesome.

Has snap on even picked a battery platform and stuck with it yet? Can you get a snap on skill saw, Sawzall, or anything but the impacts and a drill?

Only dewalt and Milwaukee tool I'm a little jealous of is their top handle chainsaw, the m18 one is way to bulky.

No complaints on my dewalt 20v stuff

Probably 20 plus tools from half inch impacts too a weed wacker to a grease gun and a heated jacket. I'm always happy with the value of the tool I buy

though, I'd probably be just as happy with Milwaukee, but I'm in deep and see no reason to switch

im more of a air guy BUT

I work out of a truck, i have a 50ft hose and a 25 whip hose (1 inch main, 1/2 step down) there sometimes i just down have the reach...there sometimes i just need to something real quick and setting park brake, switching on pto, going to the back turning on the compressor closing valves getting air lines is just too much...damn i sound lazy :lmao:
We work out of our trucks and don’t use any air anymore. The 3/8” 1/2” 1” Milwaukee’s are superstars. As long as you keep the serial number intact Milwaukee will repair the tool for free for 5 years.

If nothing else the Milwaukee grease gun should be the item that gets you to into the red. I have 10 of them now they are worth their weight in gold. It takes us about 3 years to blow the tranny out of then. Just sent it in and they fix it up for you. The Snapon and dewalt grease guns blow goats.

The only tool that I would buy from Snapon is the 3/8 long and short ratchet. They are really good. Milwaukee’s m12 isn’t there yet but it’s getting close.

Last edited:
the new 2880-20 grinder with a HO battery is much better than the earlier models and generates 11A corded power

$179 with a free 5.0 battery

This is almost worth it for the battery.

I’m happy with Milwaukee. I keep eyeballing the M12 line to replace the Ryobi 18 volt stuff I have, but Ryobi at home hasnt failed me and I don’t use it for a living.

Been beating the crap out of milwaukee for 30 years... I have only killed 2 drills (on my third Fuel now). My 4-1/2" grinder is 20 years old and still rockin on it's third replacement cord.

M18 Sawzall, M18 FuelDrill, M12 small impact screw gun, M18 large impact, M18 and M12 flashlights, M12 sawzall, M12 orbital cutter, 120V 4-1/2" grinder, 120V 12 amp sawzall, 120V metal chopsaw, and a few other things. I am pretty rough on tools and they just keep chuggin along.

I vote team red.

As a plus... the battery cost for the new stuff has dropped a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another milwaukee vote. Id recommend only buying fuel models. Worth the extra cost, and stock up on batteries when they go on sale, then buy tool only tools to keep from ending up with 30 chargers.

Top Back Refresh