What's new

Milwaukee vs dewalts vs snapon help me pick my next brand.

$159 today
Darn you for posting that. I don’t ‘neeedd’ it, but I do have a small job for it right now. One is on the way, couldn’t pass the price.

^ If you follow the deals Milwaukee stuff is not all that expensive. A lot of times you can purchase a battery and more or less get a tool thrown in.
But I get it.
I try to stick to the middle, being a home user I have no need for high end stuff either.

That said I do lust after Snappy dual 80 ratchets, my friend who has been wrenching for 35yrs plus (auto mechanic/one man show/his own shop) has them in all flavors, quite fond of using them when shop is at my disposal.

Opinions, I has them.

He does lament their lack of offerings (namely no GOOD cordless grease gun) but has had them about 9 years now and has yet to replace a battery in spite of doing everything wrong in caring for them. He has mostly blue tools, but recently got a couple of the black ones (recip saw and impact driver) and is as happy with them as the blue tools.
They have a grease gun now. Agree with your assessment of teal on the batteries. 40V stuff is now showing up as well.

There's variants, but not by much.

Disagree here, there are huge variations in batteries and their outputs. Same with motors and hammers. Otherwise places like the torque channel would get similar readings for various tools and they don't. The good stuff is good and the other stuff is meh.

Cost vs bang, that's up to the user though.

I drive by the Dewalt headquarters weekly and get a good deal on them through a buddy. No issues here, I have probably 30 tools and 20 batteries, next door neighbor has pretty much everything they've ever made. We've had some battery issues and he had an original scene light screw up in the circuit board but a call to the warranty center has yielded replacements on all counts. I had a 60V 12aH battery that went goofy, wouldn't show charge level, works in some tools but not others, called it in and they didn't have a 12 so they sent me 2 6aH 60V to hold me over then sending me a 12 ah when they get them back in stock. Battery shortages on all fronts right now.

I dropped a sawzall in salt water, that battery died and eventually the tool died, Loose screw behind the trigger caused that though

I do have some milwaukee 12v ratchets because the ones that Dewalt makes for Mac Tools rarely show up on the employee discount page. Got a little red 12v 1/4' hex drill, It was almost brand new and had quit working completely when I got it from a friend but I got Home Depot to warranty it. Been fine ever since

I drive by the Dewalt headquarters weekly and get a good deal on them through a buddy. No issues here, I have probably 30 tools and 20 batteries, next door neighbor has pretty much everything they've ever made. We've had some battery issues and he had an original scene light screw up in the circuit board but a call to the warranty center has yielded replacements on all counts. I had a 60V 12aH battery that went goofy, wouldn't show charge level, works in some tools but not others, called it in and they didn't have a 12 so they sent me 2 6aH 60V to hold me over then sending me a 12 ah when they get them back in stock. Battery shortages on all fronts right now.

I dropped a sawzall in salt water, that battery died and eventually the tool died, Loose screw behind the trigger caused that though

I do have some milwaukee 12v ratchets because the ones that Dewalt makes for Mac Tools rarely show up on the employee discount page. Got a little red 12v 1/4' hex drill, It was almost brand new and had quit working completely when I got it from a friend but I got Home Depot to warranty it. Been fine ever since

Reminds me of one of my Dewalt 20v 1/4" impacts and 5ah battery. I left it in the bucket of my backhoe and it rained a lot, filling the bucket. The impact and battery were submerged in water for a day or two before I realized.

I let the impact dry out and it's still working just fine to this day.

The 5ah battery fried what I think is the temp sensor. It won't take a charge and will only power my Dewalt light.

So now I have to connect the 12v - + leads to my 12ah battery to charge it.

Otherwise still works fine.

Reminds me of one of my Dewalt 20v 1/4" impacts and 5ah battery. I left it in the bucket of my backhoe and it rained a lot, filling the bucket. The impact and battery were submerged in water for a day or two before I realized.

I let the impact dry out and it's still working just fine to this day.

The 5ah battery fried what I think is the temp sensor. It won't take a charge and will only power my Dewalt light.

So now I have to connect the 12v - + leads to my 12ah battery to charge it.

Otherwise still works fine.
I soaked it in fresh water. Cleaned the whole thing, worked a little bit then didn't. The batteries were killed, the bare "wires" connecting the 18650 cells in the battery were rusted and corroded in a day.

If you're only doing your house just get the manual expander for $79.99 or whatever it costs these days.

If you were doing it for work you'd already own the red one and wouldn't be asking here.

I needed a new main ran from my well, and my go-to crew all runs red tools so he was rocking the PEX expander which kicked ass. I played with the M18 Fuel Hackzall he brought as I had been eyeing one of those... As of last night I own one too now. 😁

Screenshot_20211008-125941_Chrome.jpg

Not sure where you got it but homo depot has it on sale.

Screenshot_20211008-125941_Chrome.jpg

Not sure where you got it but homo depot has it on sale.

I got the M18 Fuel big big brother to that one at the Home Despot but for $159. Milwaukee also makes an M18 not fuel for $100ish tool only but I'm going for Fuel units whenever possible now. Nobody else carried it locally and I need it this weekend. It seems like lately, everything I need to cut on my property is just over 50' from the nearest outlet so I'm grabbing two cords and getting annoyed every time. 😂

I missed the m18 part, saw the pex expander and assumed m12. They are handy, can't demo like a Sawzall but they are handy for when you don't need the bulk of Sawzall or are in a awkward position.

I missed the m18 part, saw the pex expander and assumed m12. They are handy, can't demo like a Sawzall but they are handy for when you don't need the bulk of Sawzall or are in a awkward position.

For sure. Especially when working on a ladder. I'm keeping my old school corded sawzall for bigger jobs but I'll use this new guy for probably 75% of cuts.

My guy was using the M18 Fuel 2" Propex expander and it was a beast.

Got one of these this week, good middle of the road/all around impact. Way more power than a M12 stubby but not anywhere near as bulky as the high torque M18 guns. The lighting being around the anvil instead of under it is handy.

If you're only doing your house just get the manual expander for $79.99 or whatever it costs these days.

If you were doing it for work you'd already own the red one and wouldn't be asking here.

I'm only doing my house, but don't wanna deal with the manual ones.

I've actually used the red expander and it kicked ass for sure.

LOL just today was at a hardware store looking at stuff. The yellow and red grease guns were sitting there (I have a yellow one). I told my GF "according to irate4x4, you are looking at the very best tool ever made by man" (pointing to the red grease gun)

lol

I've actually used the red expander and it kicked ass for sure.

LOL just today was at a hardware store looking at stuff. The yellow and red grease guns were sitting there (I have a yellow one). I told my GF "according to irate4x4, you are looking at the very best tool ever made by man" (pointing to the red grease gun)

lol
That’s the truth. The yellow one is trash compared to the red.

coworker has the red m12, ive got the dewalt. Ill hit overload and bypass and his wont..i also have new tube priming issues all the time.
I have 8 of the red m18 and 1 dewalt. There is a reason for that

coworker has the red m12, ive got the dewalt. Ill hit overload and bypass and his wont..i also have new tube priming issues all the time.
my yellow grease gun also has new tube priming issues. Sometimes takes several minutes to get it to prime.

I have a couple of zerks on my hoe that won't take grease (outriggers). wonder if the red gun would blow them out?

my yellow grease gun also has new tube priming issues. Sometimes takes several minutes to get it to prime.

I have a couple of zerks on my hoe that won't take grease (outriggers). wonder if the red gun would blow them out?
Did you try replacing the fitting, and use a hammer oiler. It works like 20% of the time so it worth a try.

If not pop the pin out and clean the hole out.

It is SOOO frustrating when you want a tool, only to find that your team doesn't make it or makes a shitty one while the other guys have what you want. I'm too far invested in my Dewalt stuff to switch though, which is fine because they don't suck.

I feel your pain. I am 100% invested in Milwaukee and they don't make a freakin track saw. I have been so close several times to buying DeWalt or Makita cordless track saw, but I refuse to have another battery platform. :mad3:

might try a hammer oiler. i have one and it worth the money

i have this one...it take a beating and keeps ticking, had it about 2 years just now replaced the orings

Got one of these this week, good middle of the road/all around impact. Way more power than a M12 stubby but not anywhere near as bulky as the high torque M18 guns. The lighting being around the anvil instead of under it is handy.

I have the 1/2" version of that gun. I love it. It rarely use the big one anymore. Way lighter and more controllable than the big one.

I do want to get the 3/8 version like you posted

I have the 1/2" version of that gun. I love it. It rarely use the big one anymore. Way lighter and more controllable than the big one.

I do want to get the 3/8 version like you posted
That 3/8” impact is perfect for automotive shit. I love it. I firmly believe milwaukee tool buying is more addictive than crack.

my next milwaukee purchase will be the 3/8" stubby impact :smokin: been eyeballing it for a couple weeks now :laughing: wanted to get the 3/8" ratchet but the poor reviews scared me off

my next milwaukee purchase will be the 3/8" stubby impact :smokin: been eyeballing it for a couple weeks now :laughing: wanted to get the 3/8" ratchet but the poor reviews scared me off
If you're only gonna have one, the stubby gun is the one to get. I have the Fuel 3/8 ratchet and I don't have any real complaints, it is a little slow but I only use it in places where an impact doesn't fit. I would trade it for a long reach version in a heartbeat though, they weren't out when I bought mine.

might try a hammer oiler. i have one and it worth the money

i have this one...it take a beating and keeps ticking, had it about 2 years just now replaced the orings
I wanna make a threaded adapter so I can stick that on the end of my ramset. Sure it'll be 2ft long but it'll be worth it to push grease at whatever the pressure of a .22 is.

That amount of lazy is gonna cost you like $300. $150 now for the price difference and then another $200 later when you need to buy a tool in 7yr you need to do another building and you've since upgraded and none of your batteries are compatible.

I wanna make a threaded adapter so I can stick that on the end of my ramset. Sure it'll be 2ft long but it'll be worth it to push grease at whatever the pressure of a .22 is.

That sounds fun lol. When using the hammer ones I use a light penetrating oil vs grease.

it might handle that ?

i use light oil or penetrating oil...whatever i find in my bin first

Edit. i use a lock n lube for the end of my grease gun, i saw they have a hammer grease zerk tool too..but that have a adapter for air hammer

Top Back Refresh