What's new

Miller Multimatic 220

and a welder worth his shit can compensate for a shit welder
again Austin asked for opinions

The new minivans are pretty nice these days, you like yours, got it
No No No, i didnt say you could weld with both, I said you couldnt tell the difference... thats two VERY different things.

Interesting that you didnt answer if you had used either machine before... answers my question that you don't know about the new multiprocess machines.

Ya my sportscar, i mean minivan, is pretty nice:flipoff2::flipoff2:

and a welder worth his shit can compensate for a shit welder
again Austin asked for opinions

The new minivans are pretty nice these days, you like yours, got it
I'd rather put an intro/newb welder on a decent machine ....where they can focus on technique and not how to critically think through a shitty machine. Wasted time.

Once someone has some time under their belt...if they want to resurrect a dinosaur miller/Hobart/Lincoln and use their skills to overcome the quality of the machine then they can do that OR cheapout and get a new chicom machine, then that's their prerogative. I'd rather give my co worker a decent canvas to work with if IM teaching someone to weld.

It's a great skill to have, to be able and fire up any unknown machine and get a decent weld ....however and I could be assuming but I don't think austin is interested in working through a bunch of machines when there is plenty of real world experience on these multi process machines.

Enjoy your horse and carriage:flipoff2:

No No No, i didnt say you could weld with both, I said you couldnt tell the difference... thats two VERY different things.

Interesting that you didnt answer if you had used either machine before... answers my question that you don't know about the new multiprocess machines.

Ya my sportscar, i mean minivan, is pretty nice:flipoff2::flipoff2:

your comprehension sucks
do you NEED me to CAPITALISE words for you to follow along?

Austin, did you order one yet?

That's Ironic. Pot? Kettle?
You want a list of machines that I have ran?
WTF is your deal? I have been around to know that multi processes (anything) don't work as well as dedicated machines
you have some experience, great, did I dismiss it? No
are multi processes capable? Yes

You assbackwards room mates by any chance? fuck,
Austin, just take this fucktards advise, and ignore my life experience/opinion please

You want a list of machines that I have ran?
WTF is your deal? I have been around to know that multi processes (anything) don't work as well as dedicated machines
you have some experience, great, did I dismiss it? No
are multi processes capable? Yes

You assbackwards room mates by any chance? fuck,
Austin, just take this fucktards advise, and ignore my life experience/opinion please
Holy moly. I haven't dismissed any of your experience either? I said the difference between the 220/225 and any of the old multiprocess machines are night and day. Before these machines, I would 100% agree with you that multiprocess machines aren't as good as separate machines. That's why I asked the question if you had used them.

I'd rather put an intro/newb welder on a decent machine ....where they can focus on technique and not how to critically think through a shitty machine. Wasted time.

Oh fuck right off with that. Anyone that's ever used a $5k nice machine at work and then gone home to their POS knows it's BS. As long you have welder that is not such utter trash that you're fighting the machine the whole time (i.e. absolute bottom dollar Chinese stuff) the difference is not meaningful.

Back when I learned to weld I had a Lincoln multi-process at school and a Tombstone at home. The Tombstone actually ran smoother.

Furthermore, without tons and tons and tons of time on the job he will never have the mastery to make full use of all the "fine adjustment" features that modern high end inverter welders give you.

Is there a difference, sure. Is it a difference that matters in this situation? Hell no.

You sound like every fucking dumbass Milwaukee fanboy that thinks everyone needs a $500 impact to change the tire on their Civic.

Dude needs to get himself a mid range multi-process that checks his boxes from a reputable brand that isn't red or blue (because overpriced).

Last edited:
Oh fuck right off with that. Anyone that's ever used a $5k nice machine at work and then gone home to their POS knows it's BS. As long you have welder that is not such utter trash that you're fighting the machine the whole time (i.e. absolute bottom dollar Chinese stuff) the difference is not meaningful.

Back when I learned to weld I had a Lincoln multi-process at school and a Tombstone at home. The Tombstone actually ran smoother.

Furthermore, without tons and tons and tons of time on the job he will never have the mastery to make full use of all the "fine adjustment" features that modern high end inverter welders give you.

Is there a difference, sure. Is it a difference that matters in this situation? Hell no.

You sound like every fucking dumbass Milwaukee fanboy that thinks everyone needs a $500 impact to change the tire on their Civic.

Dude needs to get himself a mid range multi-process that checks his boxes from a reputable brand that isn't red or blue (because overpriced).
Bro. Taka a Xanax. :flipoff2:

Just said what machine id teach someone on, Austin can buy whatever the fuck he wants. And I prefer miller :flipoff2:

That looks like the opposite of what I'm looking for, I'd like to set a material and thickness and be ready to go. All those settings look like a PIA to learn and remember as a hobby user.

This could fully be my lack of tig knowledge ... :confused:
I thought about this auto-set deal some. I'd love to try it but I am hesitant to think I would like it?

This control layout appears very intuitive to me. Each knob is linked to the part of the weld sequence it changes. Need more or less of something just look at the picture and tweak accordingly. This similar to what I have now on the syncro except this is simpler in explanation.

TIG225ACDCP_Controls.jpg

If it matters at all Harbor freight has. 20% off welders this weekend. The $1,200 tig welder is $960 before tax.

I have no actual experiences with any of the machines, but just curious if anyone has an opinion (I am sure you do) on the multiprocess ESABs? 205ic in particular.

Seems more feature rich than the Miller and Lincoln.

Last edited:
To those arguing dedicated vs multi-process....you're both right but it depends on the machine. Keeping with the Miller options, if we're talking a Maxstar or Diversion vs the 220, then ya sure...pretty equal. If we're talking a Dynasty vs the 220, then there's a big gap in feature sets.

The trick is, a lot of the not big name but still name brand TIGs now have most of the more advanced features which makes the 220 look less capable.

To those arguing dedicated vs multi-process....you're both right but it depends on the machine. Keeping with the Miller options, if we're talking a Maxstar or Diversion vs the 220, then ya sure...pretty equal. If we're talking a Dynasty vs the 220, then there's a big gap in feature sets.

The trick is, a lot of the not big name but still name brand TIGs now have most of the more advanced features which makes the 220 look less capable.
Agree with that forsure, but also keep in mind the comparison should be somewhat close in price. The multiprocess machine should be compared to separate machines that are half the price. A Dynasty alone is more than the 220.

Agree with that forsure, but also keep in mind the comparison should be somewhat close in price. The multiprocess machine should be compared to separate machines that are half the price. A Dynasty alone is more than the 220.
Yeah for sure a Dynasty is well out of home gamers price range but the Everlast/Primeweld/chicom equivalent has similar features for 1/10 of the price.

I thought about this auto-set deal some. I'd love to try it but I am hesitant to think I would like it?

This control layout appears very intuitive to me. Each knob is linked to the part of the weld sequence it changes. Need more or less of something just look at the picture and tweak accordingly. This similar to what I have now on the syncro except this is simpler in explanation.

TIG225ACDCP_Controls.jpg
That’s all fancy Al welding options shit:lmao:. For settings on my syncrowaveare ac dc and the amperage then mash the pedal :lmao:. I don’t weld enough Al to need to worry about those fancy things. :homer:

When I have lots of Al I just bust out the spool gun and go to town.

That’s all fancy Al welding options shit:lmao:. For settings on my syncrowaveare ac dc and the amperage then mash the pedal :lmao:. I don’t weld enough Al to need to worry about those fancy things. :homer:

When I have lots of Al I just bust out the spool gun and go to town.
How you ever gonna finish the jet boat without all these knobs?:flipoff2:

I'm at the point in my project where not having a welder is holding me up. I went to night school to learn stick & mig years ago, really want to play with tig on aluminum & stainless now. I've shopped around quite a bit with the following goals:
  • to have a mig machine
  • have a tig machine
  • quick dial, auto settings adjustments
  • able weld steel & aluminum
  • price
  • small footprint is key, if it's not 1 unit then a cart both machines & tanks can stack on.
Everything keeps pointing me back to a Miller Multimatic 220.

Multimatic 220 AC-DC All Accessories 907757-01.jpg

My only hesitation is the $4,100 price (before cart/tanks/etc) as I see you guys raving about other smaller/cheaper machines. Like Harbor Freight's machines seems to be getting a lot of love on here. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to buy two cheaper dedicated machines vs the singe unit and what those would be.
I own one for running off my engine drive. They're solid machines but they are expensive.

Quality of the machine and all accessories is way better and doesn't need to be upgraded later. No hidden costs with the Miller. Support is better with Miller and you'll probably be able to get parts and support down the road. They weld really nice. I like Miller arc quality.

Everlast Machines are great. I have a ext rig that I really like. I would go with two separate Machines if you go Everlast though.

The Italian made HTP Machines are really nice

Well, I spent way too much time thinking about it and just took the plunge.

4 main deciding factors were
  • It’s a Miller
  • Nate’s video showing how well it handled being ‘pushed’ out of its comfort zone.
  • 3yr warranty
  • The current Miller rebate got the price down & Cyberweld threw in a Miller Clearlight 2 hood.
14E6F26B-B093-4D36-A34E-EC8E500DD250.jpeg

It arrived this afternoon. Unboxed it, hooked it all up, plugged it in and dialed the Auto-Set feature and …. I’m impressed. :smokin:
13C5780A-A8B5-40E6-AB93-43F899E36284.jpeg

Especially since it’s been awhile since I’ve welded anything.

Well, I spent way too much time thinking about it and just took the plunge.

4 main deciding factors were
  • It’s a Miller
  • Nate’s video showing how well it handled being ‘pushed’ out of its comfort zone.
  • 3yr warranty
  • The current Miller rebate got the price down & Cyberweld threw in a Miller Clearlight 2 hood.
14E6F26B-B093-4D36-A34E-EC8E500DD250.jpeg

It arrived this afternoon. Unboxed it, hooked it all up, plugged it in and dialed the Auto-Set feature and …. I’m impressed. :smokin:
13C5780A-A8B5-40E6-AB93-43F899E36284.jpeg

Especially since it’s been awhile since I’ve welded anything.
giphy (1).gif

And to think I just dropped $510 CAD on a Miller Digital Elite helmet… how are you liking the lid? I haven’t struck an arc yet with mine.

And to think I just dropped $510 CAD on a Miller Digital Elite helmet… how are you liking the lid? I haven’t struck an arc yet with mine.
Miller prices have gone off the deep end...I got my Digital Infinity years ago for $365 CAD + tax at Air Liquide.

I bought the newer style inverter 211 last summer. No raggerts going new Miller. I love mine, I have gone thru several spools and tanks so far.

Top Back Refresh