What's new

Miller Multimatic 220

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
I'm at the point in my project where not having a welder is holding me up. I went to night school to learn stick & mig years ago, really want to play with tig on aluminum & stainless now. I've shopped around quite a bit with the following goals:
  • to have a mig machine
  • have a tig machine
  • quick dial, auto settings adjustments
  • able weld steel & aluminum
  • price
  • small footprint is key, if it's not 1 unit then a cart both machines & tanks can stack on.
Everything keeps pointing me back to a Miller Multimatic 220.

Multimatic 220 AC-DC All Accessories 907757-01.jpg

My only hesitation is the $4,100 price (before cart/tanks/etc) as I see you guys raving about other smaller/cheaper machines. Like Harbor Freight's machines seems to be getting a lot of love on here. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to buy two cheaper dedicated machines vs the singe unit and what those would be.

I'm wondering if it makes more sense to buy two cheaper dedicated machines vs the singe unit and what those would be.
Absolutely !

Get a Vulcan MIG and an everlast TIG and you're set

This going to be a oil thread...

I have Syncrowave 250 DX and a Miller Vintage mig.

I have been talked out of it but I still think I would go a different route on a do over.
This tig is ALOT of bang for the buck.

My suggestion for mig is 180+ amp and 12' plus long torch.
15' torch is game changer for the work I do.

Seriously though just pick up a Vulcan. It'll do everything you want and more.

I have the Everlast MTS 225. Basically exactly the same as the miller. My dad actually has the millers and I use both. I honestly cant tell the difference for most processes. I do find the autoset for MIG on the Miller is better though. Overall I am VERY happy with the everlast. Although doing it again, I think I would do two seperate machines.

I've never been a fan of multiprocess machines. arse_sidewards is right. I could do any precision tigging I want and be satisfied with the result. All the cheap machines have pulse, etc. now. Would I rather have a Dynasty? Sure. But not for the performance difference vs price.

having two machines or three is the cats meow. you can keep one set for what ever and have the other set for the rest. and i still have a stick welder at the ready for the rusty mother fucker that just needs something glued together.... :grinpimp: but yes two machines is my vote

I guess I am on the other side of the fence, I have the Miller 220 and love it. I don't have the need to mig and tig at the same time much, but it's nice that it swaps the bottle and the output for you. My main reason was limited shop space, and it fills that need nicely. Welds nicely on all processed.

marc

Attachments

• welding_cart2.jpg
    welding_cart2.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 19
I guess I am on the other side of the fence, I have the Miller 220 and love it. I don't have the need to mig and tig at the same time much, but it's nice that it swaps the bottle and the output for you. My main reason was limited shop space, and it fills that need nicely. Welds nicely on all processed.

marc
all good reasons.

I love my multimatic 220. I bought it in 2019 and it’s the only machine I’ve used since.

I did the opposite of what others are suggesting and sold my other machines and replaced it with one.

Never considered price when I bought it though, it was just the best machine for my needs at the time so I got it. Small, light, portable, and multiprocess.

I haven’t regretted buying it but you might benefit from something different like others have suggested.

I love my multimatic 220. I bought it in 2019 and it’s the only machine I’ve used since.

I did the opposite of what others are suggesting and sold my other machines and replaced it with one.

Never considered price when I bought it though, it was just the best machine for my needs at the time so I got it. Small, light, portable, and multiprocess.

I haven’t regretted buying it but you might benefit from something different like others have suggested.
This was me when I needed a new higher amperage MIG. I could sell my Syncrowave and buy the 220 I think.
I found a deal on the Vintage 200 so it worked out but I would like to have the bells and whistles for doing aluminum, pulse, freq etc.

I test drove a multimatic 220 at fab tech last year. It welded decent, but no smoother than my AHP. I was not impressed with how long it took the milller employee to swap from Mig to tig (3 tries and 20 minutes). I was also unimpressed with the limited storage options. If its got all that tech why can't I save 1000 programs by name for setups I like.

After that I'm going to eventually upgrade my mig to a HTP Propulse and stick with my AHP tig. They had a killer sale last BF, just didnt have cash at the time. This year I'll be ready

I have the Multimatic 215 and love it...but I paid $1500 CAD for it years ago (was brand new at the time with build with blue rebates). Both the 215 and 220 have become stupidly overpriced, nearly double what they were, and as such I could never justify buying them again.

marc
How big is your shop? I have 4 welders in the basement and more in storage lol. My shop area is 13×30

I don't care how big your shop is, a "syncro" class machine is huge. Add that to the foot print of a 235 class machine and you have devoted a decent foot print to some machines.
In my 30x40 no matter where I put the Syncro it's in the way.

Austin, my questions would be what do you see yourself using it for, how much you'll be using it, and what is your shop space?

My machines are a Syncrowave 250DX, water cooler, etc and a Millermatic 250X that I've had for decades. I can pretty much weld for hours with either one - and have at times.

Of course, these days there are a lot more options - in size, features, and price.

Austin, my questions would be what do you see yourself using it for, how much you'll be using it, and what is your shop space?

My machines are a Syncrowave 250DX, water cooler, etc and a Millermatic 250X that I've had for decades. I can pretty much weld for hours with either one - and have at times.

Of course, these days there are a lot more options - in size, features, and price.
The real question Austin is what does your dad see you doing with it?

:lmao::flipoff2:

Immediate needs for the mog are cage, bed frame and body work. Many other little things on it as well. I want to build the kids a tube buggy after the mog is done.

Also looking at a Langmuir CNC plasma table for the wife and I. I could see lots of little projects with that as well.

just like any other tool that does 5 things, it will just do five things 'ok' at best

I have dedicated welders to each process, and they do them awesome
I meant to touch on that.

I'd probably be using the mig portion 95% of the time as I'm pushing to get this done, then could take the time to learn tig.

When these new gen of multi process welder came out there was no mig/stick/ tig with ac/dc.

So they finaly got their shit together and made one that is.

So for $4100 what else can you buy that does all 3 with ac/dc selection? Because the answer before was buy a dedicated full funtion tig and an add on wire feeder or med mig. So you were still @ $4k.

I meant to touch on that.

I'd probably be using the mig portion 95% of the time as I'm pushing to get this done, then could take the time to learn tig.
then I would just get a MIG then
either way, I'd say Red or Blue you should be ok with whatever your decision

then I would just get a MIG then
either way, I'd say Red or Blue you should be ok with whatever your decision

This is a fair point, I only just got the TIG kit (used) for mine a little while ago, have yet to actually use it (but will learn sometime) and I've never used Stick yet. I always MIG because it's easy and works for what I'm doing. So doing a dedicated MIG machine now and then mayyyybe down the road grabbing a dedicated TIG isn't a terrible option, given a Millermatic is $1900 USD with a $400 rebate right now (wtf, used to be $1000 lol).

When these new gen of multi process welder came out there was no mig/stick/ tig with ac/dc.

So they finaly got their shit together and made one that is.

So for $4100 what else can you buy that does all 3 with ac/dc selection? Because the answer before was buy a dedicated full funtion tig and an add on wire feeder or med mig. So you were still @ $4k.
The inverter tig I linked is $900.

That leaves a good chunk for a mig machine. Obviously if you price out top tier blue models of each you will surpass the all in one price.

The Hobart 210 MVP handler is $1099.
That gets you a quality brand with less frills and bought machines under half price of the blue multi proc machine.

The inverter tig I linked is $900.

That leaves a good chunk for a mig machine. Obviously if you price out top tier blue models of each you will surpass the all in one price.

The Hobart 210 MVP handler is $1099.
That gets you a quality brand with less frills and bought machines under half price of the blue multi proc machine.
Or the millermatic 211 like was said above, I ly if you really want the autoset stuff though IMO.

I have been talked out of it but I still think I would go a different route on a do over.

I have ran one of these PrimeWeld tig machine’s for a couple weeks learning to tig. Had a great experience with it, the adjustability is remarkable and for someone learning on steel, aluminum and stainless I was very happy with it. When i learnt the price point of the machine i was surprised as it seemed pretty high quality.

A friend just picked one up and I ran some AL on it over the weekend. For the price I don't think you can beat it. Took a little getting used to over the transformer machines I am more familiar with but ended up with some good results.

I would grab one of those and your choice of a decent quality MIG. You'll be under the price of that multiprocess miller and leave you $ left over for ancillaries. Have you priced out gas bottles lately? If you buy both argon and 75/25 new you'll be in just the bottles about as much as that primeweld costs.

Top Back Refresh