What's new

Miller Multimatic 220

A friend just picked one up and I ran some AL on it over the weekend. For the price I don't think you can beat it. Took a little getting used to over the transformer machines I am more familiar with but ended up with some good results.

I would grab one of those and your choice of a decent quality MIG. You'll be under the price of that multiprocess miller and leave you $ left over for ancillaries. Have you priced out gas bottles lately? If you buy both argon and 75/25 new you'll be in just the bottles about as much as that primeweld costs.

No shit, I was pretty surprised to find out my $325 argon bottle was actually more like $480 when they finally got them in...

just like any other tool that does 5 things, it will just do five things 'ok' at best

I have dedicated welders to each process, and they do them awesome
Have you used one? This is a complete myth. I have used both the Miller and the Everlast, and both of they do ALL of the processes VERY well. Putting them all in one machine DOES NOT decrease the quality of any of the processes. It simply puts it in a single box. So its up to you if one box and having to switch leads etc, or two boxes set up all the time.

Have you used one? This is a complete myth. I have used both the Miller and the Everlast, and both of they do ALL of the processes VERY well. Putting them all in one machine DOES NOT decrease the quality of any of the processes. It simply puts it in a single box. So its up to you if one box and having to switch leads etc, or two boxes set up all the time.
I think this theory comes from the older chi-com plasma/tig/stick machines. They weren't loved as much as the individual machines.

Immediate needs for the mog are cage, bed frame and body work. Many other little things on it as well. I want to build the kids a tube buggy after the mog is done.

I've always been a blue or red fan (right now my machines are all blue, plus a Hypertherm plasma), but (as others have mentioned) the other options have really been improving lately. A guy I know bought one of the Eastwood multi-process machines last fall and has been really pleased with it. I know others with HF versions that they're pleased with as well. As mentioned, there were issues years ago with the import stuff, but they've really stepped up their game in recent years.

For what you're doing, I'd consider the options other than red and blue. I'd still consider blue and red for "heavier" work, but for weekend garage work other machines will likely do all you need and save you some money.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to go with Eastwood or HF over some of the "mail order" options just because I know where to go if I have any issues. Eastwood is about two hours away and I get over there a couple times a year. On that note, HF could be the best option because you can walk into a local store if you have issues.

It's not a bad machine from the specs. Not as featured as the Primeweld possibly, and no CK torch but still adequate.

For what you're doing, I'd consider the options other than red and blue. I'd still consider blue and red for "heavier" work, but for weekend garage work other machines will likely do all you need and save you some money.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to go with Eastwood or HF over some of the "mail order" options just because I know where to go if I have any issues. Eastwood is about two hours away and I get over there a couple times a year. On that note, HF could be the best option because you can walk into a local store if you have issues.

I have the prime weld 225, I had a problem with the first unit they sent me. Called the number, got a real person, he asked a few questions then they sent me a new unit next day air. Primeweld does sales for all the major holidays. I’ve got a hundred hours or so on mine and have no complaints, I would definitely recommend them as one of the best Chinese machines.

I like the two machine set up, generally it will be less expensive and I think you may get better results quicker by not having to change as many settings going from one welding process to another.

I have the prime weld 225, I had a problem with the first unit they sent me. Called the number, got a real person, he asked a few questions then they sent me a new unit next day air. Primeweld does sales for all the major holidays. I’ve got a hundred hours or so on mine and have no complaints, I would definitely recommend them as one of the best Chinese machines.

I like the two machine set up, generally it will be less expensive and I think you may get better results quicker by not having to change as many settings going from one welding process to another.
Good to know, I have sent two people to them and they both love them and haven't had any problems with them but Its good to hear they can take care of problems.

The welder game has changed allot.
I bought a 165 amp 110/220 inverter stick machine for less than $100 to run off my generators. I have abused the hell out of it, tripped the 110v breaker down mid weld many times, run it on e2000 hondas barely striking an arc and it's still kicking. It's basically a Maxstar 161 for $1345 cheaper...

1680195913727.png

This going to be a oil thread...

I have Syncrowave 250 DX and a Miller Vintage mig.

I have been talked out of it but I still think I would go a different route on a do over.
This tig is ALOT of bang for the buck.

That looks like the opposite of what I'm looking for, I'd like to set a material and thickness and be ready to go. All those settings look like a PIA to learn and remember as a hobby user.

This could fully be my lack of tig knowledge ... :confused:

Why is the $1,200+ Harbor Freight Vulcan TiG not an option? It does aluminum, and you can buy a nice mig welder for $1,000.
You’re going to want separate bottles for aluminum TiG and GMAW (MIG) already.

That looks like the opposite of what I'm looking for, I'd like to set a material and thickness and be ready to go. All those settings look like a PIA to learn and remember as a hobby user.

This could fully be my lack of tig knowledge ... :confused:
Yeah not something I am aware exists for any price in Tig machines? :homer:

Why is the $1,200+ Harbor Freight Vulcan TiG not an option? It does aluminum, and you can buy a nice mig welder for $1,000.
You’re going to want separate bottles for aluminum TiG and GMAW (MIG) already.
I'm sure it is. I personally don't think it's superior to any of the chi-com u it's we've mentioned for the price.

Yeah not something I am aware exists for any price in Tig machines? :homer:
gotcha .... like I said .. newb thought. I've watched a shit-ton of videos of people Tig welding, but never any where they talk about machine settings. Gonna have to do that.

I've been watching a ton of videos on the models posted about ... that Vulcan 215 is awfully tempting. Two thing pushing me away right now is that they have a 90 day warranty vs Miller's 3yr. Also some reviews like the one below where Nate from Dirt Lifestyle shows how it struggles when maxed out on 1/2 where his Miller 220 breezes through it. Fully understand both machines are rated for 3/8, but it struggled at that 3/8 setting. This video is only a few weeks old, starting it at the 5min mark for you to see the Vulcan vs Miller ... but good video to watch if you're curious.

I just talked to a place that sells a few types of machines. Starting this Saturday Miller will have a $300 rebate on the 220 and they throw in a $325ish Miller Performance Clearlight helmet. So ... that brings the machine down to $3,500ish.

Last edited:
I've been watching a ton of videos on the models posted about ... that Vulcan 215 is awfully tempting. Two thing pushing me away right now is that they have a 90 day warranty vs Miller's 3yr.

I just talked to a place that sells a few types of machines. Starting this Saturday Miller will have a $300 rebate on the 220 and they throw in a $325ish Miller Performance Clearlight helmet. So ... that brings the machine down to $3,500ish.
I have used Miller's warranty twice on things;the last time was an issue with the inside trigger hinge getting damaged either during assembly or I dropped it / it fell hard and I didn't realize it but still shouldn't have broken the internals without damaging the externals. I found out when the trigger button stuck, which was an interesting experience on a 255 while welding 3/8" parts. I snapped a pic and sent it to Bakers Gas and they had me a part out in like 2 days, no questions asked. They handled it for me and I didn't even have to go through Miller. So that was worth it to me.

I have a Syncrho 210 back from when they came out and have a 2 year old 255 Millermatic. Both great machines. On something that I want to work right every single time I use it, and never have to worry about it not working when I need it, I am willing to spend money on the mental space for it.

Welders, Plasma cutters, nice drill bits, and winches... all important to work right and not break in the middle of a job. And if it does break... I want to know I can find parts and not have to search and search or make something myself to fix it.

gotcha .... like I said .. newb thought. I've watched a shit-ton of videos of people Tig welding, but never any where they talk about machine settings. Gonna have to do that.

I've been watching a ton of videos on the models posted about ... that Vulcan 215 is awfully tempting. Two thing pushing me away right now is that they have a 90 day warranty vs Miller's 3yr. Also some reviews like the one below where Nate from Dirt Lifestyle shows how it struggles when maxed out on 1/2 where his Miller 220 breezes through it. Fully understand both machines are rated for 3/8, but it struggled at that 3/8 setting. This video is only a few weeks old, starting it at the 5min mark for you to see the Vulcan vs Miller ... but good video to watch if you're curious.

It might be possible for DC tig, I just have no idea. The arc length changes so much I can't really see how that would work but what do I know.
AC would seem to have too many variables but again, enginerds are smart, maybe they figured something out.

The 90 day warranty would be a no-go for me. We are talking about something built completely with electronic chips. No transformers, swithces etc, there will be no EASY fix on any of these machines if the smoke leaves...

Looking at this comparison just to see, there are some "all in one - not as good as separate" for the miller.
I'm not suggesting a Everlast, just using their comparison.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/...products/b7cd82b48a4ebfdcdb9223c48199baea.pdf

No AC pulse on the multimatic?
Duty cycles for all three modes aren't so good, even in the lower amps where it matters. 40% @ 170 amps mig,
No AC Tig waveform control
No tig pre flow adjustment, possible wonky post flow (TIG: Auto/ Programmable through hidden menu/ No MIG)
No memory as was mentioned.

Last edited:
Looking at this comparison just to see, there are some "all in one - not as good as separate"

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/...products/b7cd82b48a4ebfdcdb9223c48199baea.pdf

Duty cycles for all three modes aren't so good, even in the lower amps where it matters. 40% @ 170 amps mig,
No tig pre flow adjustment, possible wonky post flow (TIG: Auto/ Programmable through hidden menu/ No MIG)
I cant comment much on the Miller but i can on the everlast.

AC Pulse - yes it has pulse
Yes Duty cycle isnt great, but i have also spent an entire day out there welding on the car and never hit the duty cycle.
AC Waveform - yes, they have 3 or 4 different wave types.
Tig Flow - For both AC and DC, there is complete pre and post flow adjustment.
I believe there is 10 memory settings for each process, Mig, Tig, AC Tig etc.

Edit: Yes there are some hidden menus, but once you start using them, its very intuitive. If you need a hidden menu, its all there and it only for a specific reason.

I cant comment much on the Miller but i can on the everlast.

AC Pulse - yes it has pulse
Yes Duty cycle isnt great, but i have also spent an entire day out there welding on the car and never hit the duty cycle.
AC Waveform - yes, they have 3 or 4 different wave types.
Tig Flow - For both AC and DC, there is complete pre and post flow adjustment.
I believe there is 10 memory settings for each process, Mig, Tig, AC Tig etc.

Edit: Yes there are some hidden menus, but once you start using them, its very intuitive. If you need a hidden menu, its all there and it only for a specific reason.
I was being critical of the miller, if it is the 1 seed then the others would ideally be less equipped.

If you're a full on fab shot , my opinion is you need dedicated machines. A water cooled tig etc if you spend 8 hrs tigging each day.

I fab quite often , but I'm not a fab shop or an employee to a fab shop. When I was fabbing for a living it was dedicate machines etc.

So I run the miller multi process for the work I do now. For the amount of aluminum I weld in a year, this machine kicks ass. I mig more than tig though.

Not sure how anyone can complain about how long it takes to run the tig setting from running mig or stick on this machine. It's literally push and turn fittings on this machine. If my table is ready I can go from mig to tig and hood down welding in less than 3 minutes. This machine is stupid simple.

I guess if you are dedicated fabber I can see where it would be a hassle going back and forth between process....but again, my experience doing ornamental fabrication....generally I was doing tig or mig vice versa but not bouncing back and forth between the two OR I was prepping/finishing.

It's not very efficient or focused to be bouncing around. Usually a project has bulk parts/process that need to be finished before you start the next phase of the project anyway.

So if you plan to be a dedicated fabber and spend plenty of time working with aluminum or stainless, I'd star looking for a real tig machine and water cooled setup. If NOT then a multi process machine will handle all your hobby, car, home projects. Go blue bc I'm a fan boi:flipoff2:

Looking at this comparison just to see, there are some "all in one - not as good as separate" for the miller.

Mig
60% duty @ 105 amps on regular plug.
40% duty @ 170a 240v
20% duty @ 200a 240v

Multimatic 220 has pulse.
Lift arc on the machine
Post flow up to 25 seconds
40% @ 130a 120v
20% @ 210a 240v

I use a gas lens and replaced the main gas line, haven't noticed any issue not having pre flow.

honestly have not had any issue with the duty cycle of the machine. Again if you need to weld continuously mig or tig....might as well start your tool collection, if not a multi process machine will be fine.

Mig
60% duty @ 105 amps on regular plug.
40% duty @ 170a 240v
20% duty @ 200a 240v

Multimatic 220 has pulse.
Lift arc on the machine
Post flow up to 25 seconds
40% @ 130a 120v
20% @ 210a 240v

I use a gas lens and replaced the main gas line, haven't noticed any issue not having pre flow.

honestly have not had any issue with the duty cycle of the machine. Again if you need to weld continuously mig or tig....might as well start your tool collection, if not a multi process machine will be fine.
I can't find anywhere that says it has AC pulse, DC yes but not AC.

from miller site
https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media.../specsheets/file/ad90-multimatic-220-acdc.pdf

care if I ask what you do for a living? I run welders all day, and have been for 25+ years now

I stand by my opinion

will Austin be happy with it? probably, but Austin may want everyone's opinions on the machine that he is considering. And my opinion is multi process machines do it, but just do it ok. Just like a performance of a mini van, you get a car/truck right? You can drive it off road to go camping, and later hit the track for some tarmac times. If you dont know, you don't know

and I agree with you, the welder manufacturing quality is getting better

care if I ask what you do for a living? I run welders all day, and have been for 25+ years now

I stand by my opinion

will Austin be happy with it? probably, but Austin may want everyone's opinions on the machine that he is considering. And my opinion is multi process machines do it, but just do it ok. Just like a performance of a mini van, you get a car/truck right? You can drive it off road to go camping, and later hit the track for some tarmac times. If you dont know, you don't know

and I agree with you, the welder manufacturing quality is getting better
I ran welders everyday all day for a few years. So yes you probably know them better than me, but no I'm not a newb.

Let me turn it around, Have you used the Miller 220 or Everlast MTS 225?

The difference in the multiprocess machines between these and ANY of the ones that came before are night and day. Id be willing to bet i could hook up the 220/225 and say a Miller 350p for 1/4" steel on MIG and you wouldn't be able to tell me which one is which. Same with a TIG.

I'll have to fire up the machine now you got me thinking :lmao:. Could be talkin out my ass but I thought I ran pulse when doing some thinner gauge aluminum outside corners last year.
I'm not trying to bust your balls, just curious.

I have come very close several times to selling my Syncro and going this MP or two inverters route.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, just curious.

I have come very close several times to selling my Syncro and going this MP or two inverters route.
Oh it's all good, didn't take it that way. Could be that I was just pseudo pulsing with the pedal, but seriously my memory ain't great so I'll just have to fire it back up some point here to find out.

I know it seems like a simple answer but it really does depend on your work load of fab that you plan to do to really determine what machine to go with.

FWIW I started on MM 135 in the late 1990s. Just really like the miller product. Doesn't seem to have let up on quality, maybe more $$$ now but meh.

I ran welders everyday all day for a few years. So yes you probably know them better than me, but no I'm not a newb.

Let me turn it around, Have you used the Miller 220 or Everlast MTS 225?

The difference in the multiprocess machines between these and ANY of the ones that came before are night and day. Id be willing to bet i could hook up the 220/225 and say a Miller 350p for 1/4" steel on MIG and you wouldn't be able to tell me which one is which. Same with a TIG.
and a welder worth his shit can compensate for a shit welder
again Austin asked for opinions

The new minivans are pretty nice these days, you like yours, got it

Top Back Refresh