What's new

Meet the new Walter I got..

Really? What did you fix on it?
Changing the oil doesn't count as working on one.

My brother owned a machine shop and I machined the heads of one for a guy building a pulling tractor.

My brother owned a machine shop and I machined the heads of one for a guy building a pulling tractor.
Ya did huh.
What all did you do to the heads?

That’s not really working on a Detroit. Ever ran the rack on one? Do you even know what that means? Don’t Google it now….

Ya did huh.
What all did you do to the heads?

That’s not really working on a Detroit. Ever ran the rack on one?
I think basically we cleaned up the four exhaust valves per cylinder because he wanted better exhausting. I really don't remember all the specifics it was 20+ years ago.

No, I've never worked on the rack.

So, does any of this matter if I want to put on my N Cab Truck? NO.

Ever built a pulling tractor? Like from ground up?

No, never have. And don't want to either build a pulling tractor.

My brother and I did rebuild a 2l 4cylinder of our other brother's Eclipse in the 1990's.

Ever build an injection mold I've helped to do that from the group? Ever put complete hood exhaust system in a commercial kitchen from the ground up? I 've done that many many times.

I think basically we cleaned up the four exhaust valves per cylinder because he wanted better exhausting. I really don't remember all the specifics it was 20+ years ago.
Right, right.

My brother and I did rebuild a 2l 4cylinder of our other brother's Eclipse in the 1990's.
Wow.

No, I've never worked on the rack.
Shocked.

So, does any of this matter if I want to put on my N Cab Truck? NO.
It matters if you want to put one in the truck. If you don't know how to work on one...... then it's kinda dumb. Because Detroits are a bit odd. Not like any other engine. And if you've never driven one, well, that's a different story entirely.

Right, right.

Wow.

Shocked.

It matters if you want to put one in the truck. If you don't know how to work on one...... then it's kinda dumb. Because Detroits are a bit odd. Not like any other engine. And if you've never driven one, well, that's a different story entirely.

They are just two-stroke diesels. I've driven them. Not that different.

I think the question is this-- what looks meaner when you're plowing a driving like this? The Jeep or the Walter?

I think the Walter is the vehicle of choice.
Typical spoiled rich kid.
Some  things are cool. But they are still just things.
You can't buy cool, it doesn't transfer that way.
It's OK, I'm not cool either. Figuring out where you are on the spectrum and making the most of the cards you've been dealt will give you a satisfying life.
Refusing to acknowledge and accept it,will get you where you are now.
Thriving on negative energy.
How ironic you picture yourself as Oddball.

Typical spoiled rich kid.
Some  things are cool. But they are still just things.
You can't buy cool, it doesn't transfer that way.
It's OK, I'm not cool either. Figuring out where you are on the spectrum and making the most of the cards you've been dealt will give you a satisfying life.
Refusing to acknowledge and accept it,will get you where you are now.
Thriving on negative energy.
How ironic you picture yourself as Oddball.

Filling in more blanks with your biases is interesting.

I said meaner not cool... Which means which one looks tougher?

what the F is your point here anyway? TROLL maybe?
Ever drive a Detroit Diesel 2 stroke?
I'm gonna say no since you don't get my point. So fuck off.

Ever drive a Detroit Diesel 2 stroke?
I'm gonna say no since you don't get my point. So fuck off.
Your "Point" is lost on me:lmao:
Im reading about a cool truck and dont really give a shit what you think. Start your own thread about Detroits then, because This isnt it

Filling in more blanks with your biases is interesting.

I said meaner not cool... Which means which one looks tougher?
I believe you used the word cool previously.
If I'm wrong,it doesn't matter. You don't have to say it out loud for the rest of us to see what you're trying to do.

Im reading about a cool truck and dont really give a shit what you think. Start your own thread about Detroits then, because This isnt it

Detroits are cool. And Walter made one called QDUS model slightly larger than the ACUS model I have that had a Detroit 8v71T in it that made 350hp and 1053ftlbs of torque mated to a 5 Spd Allison.

You and Felix will get along great. He's a cocksucker too.

They're loud.
They leak.
They're difficult to work on.
They're a lot of things, but "cool" isn't one.

Those are valid issues.

However, they are cool to me. And the best part is since you're 1300 miles form me--- not like I'm knocking on your door to hire you to fix it.

Those are valid issues.

However, they are cool to me. And the best part is since you're 1300 miles form me--- not like I'm knocking on your door to hire you to fix it.

They’re cool to you because you’re completely ignorant about them. You should say they “sound” cool to you, because that’s the only thing you actually know about a Detroit engine.

Just like every guy who’s never ridden a motorcycle wants a Harley Davidson. Because they sound “cool”.

I think I should Usually I just paint them black-- but this one is my biggest so I will paint it with Shark's mouth like a P-40 or F-4 Phantom II
Why not A10 teeth?
1000092336.png

Or, the tusked version if you plan to get off of the pavement when plowing: Warthog snarls for the camera
1000092337.jpg

Aaron Z

Detroits are cool. And Walter made one called QDUS model slightly larger than the ACUS model I have that had a Detroit 8v71T in it that made 350hp and 1053ftlbs of torque mated to a 5 Spd Allison.

Interesting you picked the maximum HP/Torque numbers for that Detroit. Googled it, didn’t you? Most weren’t that high. Especially in a truck like that. I’m betting it isn’t aftercooled.

I’m guessing maybe 300hp. Maybe. Especially tied to an Allison.

That's funny shit right there.
Yeah, they act just like any other diesel. :lmao:

What I have always loved with them is the flat-torque curve. It's always been pretty much the same to me no matter what Cummins, CAT or Detroit.

Interesting you picked the maximum HP/Torque numbers for that Detroit. Googled it, didn’t you? Most weren’t that high. Especially in a truck like that. I’m betting it isn’t aftercooled.

I’m guessing maybe 300hp. Maybe. Especially tied to an Allison.
I googled it by actually having a sheet in front me with the data.

They pretty much all came in this exact form.

Attachments

• Image 3-6-24 at 4.16 PM.jpeg
    Image 3-6-24 at 4.16 PM.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
What I have always loved with them is the flat-torque curve. It's always been pretty much the same to me no matter what Cummins, CAT or Detroit.
I have no idea what you're saying.

That Detroits have a flat torque curve?

Or that all those engines do?

Because they don't. None of them.

An electric motor has a flat torque curve.

I googled it by actually having a sheet in front me with the da

I have no idea what you're saying.

That Detroits have a flat torque curve?

Or that all those engines do?

Because they don't. None of them.

An electric motor has a flat torque curve.

Two-Stroke is always going to have a flatter torque curve than a 4-stroke Diesel. Sure not straight line that an Electric motor will have. But,flatter than your usual 4-stroke model. Here is one example I could fine. And depending on how engine was setup curves could be flatter or steeper depending on usage.

Top Back Refresh